The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun w/Digital M Images

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lloyd

ohmygoodness you guys have done it again xD one day i'll sit down and comment on every photo that i've missed.. but for now i'll leave it as beautiful work from everyone :D (and yes patrick, very aeneas. i feel like i've been doing that a lot lately too...)

[snip]

I took this photo as a sidenote to Patrick's dimsum photo from hong kong - in vancouver in a dimsum place.. very different from old style dimsum :p no more carts rolling by shouting what they had, no people rushing carts to get the good food.. nope. we were given a sheet of paper with the menu on it, and we just had to fill out how many of what we wanted and it was brought to our table. dignified, quiet, and completely the other end of the spectrum from dimsum in hong kong. and god forbid - they even had english on their menu sheet o__o
Nicely contrasted with Patrick's story. Wonderful image. I love the light here.

XPro-1 with APO Telyt 135
Great images, Ashwin. Love the shot of the ferry.

Some more shots from Tainan streets. With the 50 Nocti and 24 Lux:)
Nice! Love that red door, but the portrait's the winner for me from this set. You've got this wired!!

The only titles I could think of were 'Marriage' or 'Socks':D:

Mike
Too funny! I think either title works. :D

ShiroKuro

Ashwin that last set was amazing ..... It's one of those instances where the quality of the image jumps out at you before the content .... they look surreal ...

Charles K

Really great images from HK .... I especially like this image

Andrew this image is spectacular ....

Thanks everyone for the comments on the image of the Kid beating the tire with a baseball bat.....
You are right Ashwin now that I think about how close I had to get with the 21 .Dangerous indeed .....

Here is one from yesterday

M8.2 21 SA

PatrickCheung

Charles :p that's one really cool shot. I keep seeing these Chinese-Triad-looking motherf*ckers that I really wanna shoot... Old men in flamboyant suits wielding canes... :p The lady with the blacked out eyes in the corner gives me the creeps though...

Mike Woods

Charles :p that's one really cool shot. I keep seeing these Chinese-Triad-looking motherf*ckers that I really wanna shoot... Old men in flamboyant suits wielding canes... :p The lady with the blacked out eyes in the corner gives me the creeps though...
If that's a lady then I'm even more scared now:ROTFL:

Mike

PatrickCheung

LOL. damn. That's a man isn't it... There was this site Hillary and I stumbled upon (it showed up on my facebook feed) called "Granny or Tranny" which was... basically a quiz that tested your skills at determining whether the person in the photo was a Granny... or a Tranny. I... didn't do so well.

m_driscoll

Drove up a local canyon early last Saturday so Mimi could meet some friends for a training run. The were heading up in to the mountains, starting at a trailhead right by the road. I had a couple of hours to kill, so I took a walk on a different trail, which follows an old pipeline, which took water to a gristmill a century ago. Fortunately for me, and my still-recovering knee, the trail is fairly level, while the canyon falls away quickly.
All the the M8, 28 Cron:
The road up the canyon:
Along the trail:

Looking down into the canyon:
Lloyd: I especially like the framing , detail and the 'intensity' of your pp here. Excellent! :thumbup:

Cheers, Matt

Zenfolio | Matt Driscoll

Hosermage

I liked Andrew's border so much I tried to find a way to have it generate automatically...

Found a lightroom plugin: LR/Mogrify 2

I can't find a way to print the EXIF data in the outer border, so I had to use a inner border:

PatrickCheung

:) The way I put on borders is through photoshop... Image > Canvas Size. Check off Relative, put the anchor in the middle square, and play with the "New Size" options. Though, he has a shadow on his, so I'm guessing Andrew made a new layer underneath the photo that's a bigger than the photo... added a shadow effect... not too sure! :)

Also, I got my hands on a Fuji Xpro today... It feels like... a machine. I don't know how I feel about it, It's efficient, but almost too modern. Just my two cents :)

Lloyd

For making the borders, Joe Colson, an amazing photographer who posts regularly in the MF threads, as well as the Nikon threads, has written a script he's made available to anyone who wants it. Here's the link to his Photoshop page. It's the first entry: Joe Colson Photography | Photoshop

Last edited:

PatrickCheung

I've been feeling rather un-motivated to photograph for the past few days. I find that writing in my notebook is a little more interesting for me in Hong Kong. I dislike being restricted to guessing focus and composition. I can take near 75 shots a day and only come home with about 10 that are well composed, and only 1 that I really like... which, I guess is the life of the average shoot-from-the-hip photographer XD. I believe I read an Eric Kim article on how you can take a hundred photos in a day, but only come up with 1 that you really like, and that in your lifetime, you'll have maybe a hundred photos that you really like, but people will only remember about 15 of your very very best. That gives me hope :)

I'm not sure if I should even post the photos I took today, though, I guess I'll contribute! I decided to push the limits of my ability to guess distance, shooting from the hip at f2 with my Canon 35/2. I need to work on my guessing skills XD

I've been in the 6x6 mood lately... and have been looking for a TLR. I blame Hillary and her recent Rolleicord purchase XD Makes me wish I had one again! If anyone's got a TLR they're looking to sell, preferably in the $100 range, I'll be more than happy to take it!

I had dinner with my uncle today, he's the current owner of my first camera. He told me I'd have better luck shooting Hong Kong locals as a foreigner of different race, as Hong Kong natives are less paranoid about tourists than they are about their own kind. XD I guess I'll have to make myself look a little more touristy to shoot the way I want to!

On the topic of family: Staying at my grandma's place, I've come to appreciate how close my dad's side of the family is. I find that I can talk to all my uncles and aunts on my dad's side and feel like I'm being heard. The apartment I'm living with is shared by my grandma, one uncle, and two aunts... and now my family. It seems like it'd be impossible to get along with so many people in such a small place, but my relatives love it here. They look out for each other and help each other, which is nice. My family on my mother's side is a different story though. My grandma on my mother's side is extremely ill, though half the family could care less about visiting her, and some even refuse to. I've only seen maybe 1/3 of my mother's side of the family... and some of them don't even know I exist. It's a shame that it's come to that, really. I don't really know where I'm going with this, though I know that these are things that I'll keep in mind when I start a family of my own :)

Status
Not open for further replies.