The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun w/Digital M Images

Status
Not open for further replies.

MichaelM6

I'm constantly blown away by the depth and quality of the images in this thread.

Now some new stuff from me. As some of you know, I'm new around here. I was shooting a Canon 5D Mark 2 for about a year before I switched out of total frustration. Digital - well, I suppose the Canon, really, just made photography seem cheap. Point, shoot, edit. I sort of felt like anyone could do what I was doing. So I switched to a system with soul. Or perhaps its a way of shooting that REQUIRES soul. Rangefinders. Leica. Manual. Manual focus, expose, aperture...thinking. Seeing.

I've enjoyed my experience quite a bit. I hadn't really planned on taking on any professional assignments for a while, but a wedding opportunity popped up. It just so happened to be at the breathtakingly beautiful Blenheim Vineyard outside of Charlottesville and owned by Dave Matthews's family. In fact, he was married in the little chapel on the property.

Anyway, I shot it on Saturday using one 35mm lens. Crazy? Maybe. Minimalist? Definitely. Fun? Yeah, it was. Scary, but fun.

I'm building a new site, and I'll include a link. If you click on 'weddings' you'll see my edits of the day. Here's a couple...

Here's my new site: Michael Hulcher

PatrickCheung

:p Thanks Ashwin, hope we do :)

Woody, those nocti shots are great... both really good. The noctilux has a magical way of rendering things... and you definitely know how to make use of that.

Charles, great photos, I've always loved your work, especially the portraits. I was in an antique book store today, looking at a few photos from a book titled "Humanitas" (I think...) and thinking "wow, Charles can do this... but better".

Rob, looks like the BBQ was a lot of fun :p Flash is always a joy to play with. With my recent venture into point and shoots... direct flash has been growing on me...

Michael, one camera one lens takes a little getting used to, but I've found that it's the only way I shoot nowadays. I'll usually leave the house with a 28 or 35 (depends on whether I want surgical or dreamy photos) and a 50 in my bag... Though I'll never switch more than once... and I only switch early on in the day after I realize I wanted something else. What you said about the Canon, I had similar feelings with my Nikon... hence the switch. Though, I've come to realize it's not automation that makes photography feel cheap... I think I had my mind on all the wrong things when I was shooting with the DSLR. Flashy LEDs and crazy menus, the option of complex off camera flash set ups... that stuff took my attention away from what I was shooting. I've found myself enjoying my Yashica T4 over my M8 recently, because the simplicity of a point and shoot lets me focus purely on what's going on around me.

Speaking of which... another roll of T4 photos should be scanned and uploaded tomorrow or wednesday :)

MichaelM6

Patrick - well said. I think you nailed it. It was having my mind on all the wrong things. Now I see. Think. Decide, and finally, expose. Before, my process was usually something like constant back button focus, feel self conscious in front of a model if the shutter wasn't constantly firing, maniacally checking exposure and shutter speed, forgetting which was the shutter and which was the aperture spinny-wheel thingy (and I'm 31, it's not like I'm some luddite) and generally not paying enough attention to what I should have been doing all along. I see what you mean about a point and shoot!

CharlesK

Mike, Jorgen, Gary, Ashwin and Patrick, thank you guys for the very kind comments:)
Robert, nice impromptu captures with the new flash setup!!
Michael, nice series of shots!

ghoonk

A couple from my recent trip to Sri Lanka, shot with an M9P with a 35 cron IV and a 50 cron (E39)

At the Wallawwa boutique hotel, a very quaint, quiet and delightful little getaway in the heart of Colombo

Over in Galle, the Sun House, a truly rustic and romantic hotel just 5 minutes from the beach. Converted from a colonial house, this hotel has just 6 rooms. Stayed at the Cinnamon suite, a spacious and insanely comfortable suite

Over in Galle Fort, a European tourist watches as a track & field event is taking place in the London Olympics

At the spice market, minutes away from the Sun House, farmers sell their crop

A Hindu temple in Galle undergoing reconstruction and expansion

dude163

Ok last batch, this time I was experimenting with the Elmarit 135 on my M8 and a flash unit, so i was shooting from 2-3+ metres away , like a paparazzi

family Matriarch

uncle-in-law

Father-in-law

2nd cousin-in-law

I dunno why I made them all Black and White, I just thought they looked better that way

Lloyd

I've been on the road, and am way behind in commenting. I will say that, as usual, the stuff on the thread is terrific across the board.

D&A

I've been on the road, and am way behind in commenting. I will say that, as usual, the stuff on the thread is terrific across the board.
+1 and I'll add its always a welcome diversion after a busy day (whether on the road or not), to be able to view such a diverse group of spectacular images from so many talented photographers.

Dave (D&A)

Mike Woods

+1 and I'll add its always a welcome diversion after a busy day (whether on the road or not), to be able to view such a diverse group of spectacular images from so many talented photographers.

Dave (D&A)
+2. Sorry for not posting in a while, but enjoying the OM-D at the moment which seems well-suited to the tremendous British summer we're having :rolleyes:

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.