The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun w/Digital M Images

Status
Not open for further replies.

dude163

I was going to say the same , its probably the compression used when exporting to JPG

Here is a shot I took using my MM wannabe

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
Hi Woody,

I'm seeing strange effects on your posts 7116 & 7117.

Some strange sort of cross hatched banding on neck of card player and on his sleeves and over the wine glasses. Also in the shadows under the bowl and on the large tomato at front of bowl. Also I just looked again and the shot with the folded arms has same effect in shadows on the card table.

Cheers,

Gandolfi.
As I said this is going to take some work. Here's screen shoot of of crops from the shadow in the still life before Silver Efex and after (on the before I've adjusted the low tones to roughly match Silver Efex version). Sliver Efex is adding noise (purposefully) and local contrast and sharpening. Some low frequency banding shows up in the Silver Efex version probably as a result of Silver Efex pushing the original file too far. The same issue appears to be in play in the picture of the card payer - particularly in his neck. The pattern on the wall is a result of light from the outside coming in through a screened window. In general I'm finding the MM files to be tolerant of abuse in post - but apparently less so at ISO 5000.

Other commentators have suggested that for the MM ISO 1250 is good, 2500 is pushing it, 5000 iffy and 10000 for emergencies only. This lends credence to the 5000 part of that equation.

Last edited:

m_driscoll

These are cropped in a lot! I believe all were with a B+W Yellow-Orange 040 filter.

M-Monochrom; 50mm f/1.4; 1/750s; ISO 320

M-Monochrom; 50mm f/1.4; 1/750s; ISO 320

M-Monochrom; 50mm f/1.4; 1/4000s; ISO 320

M-Monochrom; 50mm f/1.4; 1/4000s; ISO 320

Cheers, Matt

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
Stop posting these Monochrom shots, Matt. They're obviously posted to make the rest of us who have the camera high on our wish list jealous ... and it's working. ;

StephenPatterson

No Monochrom (yet ;) ) but here is one from my M9-P and the Noctilux 0.95. My daughter visited me in China this summer, and she asked me to take her High School Senior portraits. Nothing like putting a little pressure on Dad! We ended up having a wonderful experience, and hopefully she got some shots that she liked.

This was taken wide open very close to the minimum focus distance of 1m. I use a small Metz flash attached via sync cord to give some side light. Processed in LR4 and Silver Efex Pro 2.

Last edited:

chrism

Beautiful, Stephen! Here is my hairy offspring struggling with Mathematica over breakfast:

M Monochrom, Summarit 75

Chris

StephenPatterson

So after a two and week vacation, I'm finally at ease with my new Noctilux 0.95 ASPH : I'm going to sell it for a 35 1.4 ASPH and a MM :)

Still undicided if the MM is the way to go or not, I have to say I'm impressed with the MM high ISO ability and fine tones but one thing is for sure - I'm currently more and more in love with black and white photography - finally, at a couple of years of having the M9, I'm getting bw pictures that I love - due most to the fact that while I might have changed a bit as photographer, I did sharpened up quite my skills in post processing - and I keep them now... to a minimum. Carefull focusing, most carefull composing are the big differences - and instead of spending an hour or so with each picture, I spend much less because I know what I want - instead I go surely for what I want and spend quite some time doing fine adjustments.

Also, I just got newfound love for a much ill-loved lens that I had on my stable and was the lens I most enjoyed using on my trip - Leica 35mm Summaron f3.5. The smooth transition, the soft contrasts are just PERFECT. I felt sometimes almost not at ease since I was using it ALL The time and the Noctilux was just being on the bag.

Funny how a 300 usd lens can kill a 9000 usd one.

Ponpon, a normandy mule ( and uber friendly :) )
I also love my old 35 Summaron, although I don't agree with you about the Noctilux. Anyway, great images but I wanted to ask about this one. I love the composition but are the black spots in the sky intentional? At first I thought they might over sharpened dust and debris on the sensor captured with an exposure using a small aperture, but there are so many I'm not sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.