The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun w/Digital M Images

Status
Not open for further replies.

iiiNelson

OK, but I could have sworn that I had it stopped down to at least f/11. I may just have to sell it off and get a Summicron or go back to my Voigtlanders..
Check your metadata tab on Aperture. It generally does a good job of "estimating" aperture size at time of capture even with non-coded lenses. I don't know whether you have a bad copy or if that's just an aberration but the Biogon-C is usually regarded as the better of the two 35 Biogon's. That of course is all subjective but it's the lens is definitely capable. Summicron's (love my ASPH) aren't bad and of course have the benefit or built in lens profiles. I love my Nokton II but there is some purple fringing (that can usually be corrected) wide open with strong light sources. I haven't tried other Voigtlander 35's.

I wouldn't sell it just yet off of one undesirable shot. Now if it's a trend and it's consistently producing undesirable effect (and I may have missed that in previous comments) then yeah I'd look to other options or get it fixed (if possible for free or a reasonable cost.)

Maggie O

Check your metadata tab on Aperture. It generally does a good job of "estimating" aperture size at time of capture even with non-coded lenses. I don't know whether you have a bad copy or if that's just an aberration but the Biogon-C is usually regarded as the better of the two 35 Biogon's. That of course is all subjective but it's the lens is definitely capable. Summicron's (love my ASPH) aren't bad and of course have the benefit or built in lens profiles. I love my Nokton II but there is some purple fringing (that can usually be corrected) wide open with strong light sources. I haven't tried other Voigtlander 35's.

I wouldn't sell it just yet off of one undesirable shot. Now if it's a trend and it's consistently producing undesirable effect (and I may have missed that in previous comments) then yeah I'd look to other options or get it fixed (if possible for free or a reasonable cost.)
Any chance it could be the M9-P itself? I've noticed a lot of fringing and CA with all of my lenses, now that you mention it.

Maybe B&H sold me a lemon?

iiiNelson

Any chance it could be the M9-P itself? I've noticed a lot of fringing and CA with all of my lenses, now that you mention it.

Maybe B&H sold me a lemon?
I don't know. It's possible it could be the M9 suppose. I get purple fringing from the Nokton II on my NEX-5 though so I think it's a characteristic of that lens. Depends on the lenses you have. Faster lenses seem to be more susceptible to artifacts I believe.

pgmj

I'm using an iMac with Aperture.
I have used Aperture with both M8 and (for a short time) the M9. It does a lousy job with color artifacts in highly detailed areas. I gave up on Aperture and for a while used Capture One for my M8 files, and now I moved to Lightroom for all photos. I did some comparisons some time ago, and Aperture was a lot worse than C1 and LR.

Maggie O

I have used Aperture with both M8 and (for a short time) the M9. It does a lousy job with color artifacts in highly detailed areas. I gave up on Aperture and for a while used Capture One for my M8 files, and now I moved to Lightroom for all photos. I did some comparisons some time ago, and Aperture was a lot worse than C1 and LR.
I like Capture One quite a bit, but I absolutely hated what I was getting out of Lightroom. Go figure.

I may dump the Leica and go back to my X100.

iiiNelson

I like Capture One quite a bit, but I absolutely hated what I was getting out of Lightroom. Go figure.

I may dump the Leica and go back to my X100.
I understand not getting along with a certain photo program but I've always liked Lightroom (probably because I had it before Aperture and constantly updated camera support) but I like Aperture a lot as well. I don't get along with the interface of Capture One (I only owned v4) but I like the results. I actually switched to Aperture a couple years ago and made a conscious decision to return to Lightroom with version 4. This was mostly due to the potential purchase of the MM though. I always got good result (for me) with Aperture and I think these artifacts in this one picture are a "flyer" in shooting terms.

D&A

Trendwood Creek, February 05, 2013 by Maggie Osterberg, on Flickr

BTW, this shot doesn't work at all in color, because the tiny reflections go off into all sorts of single-pixel colors. Does anyone know what's up with that? I've only seen it in photos from this lens, which is the C Biogon 35/2.8.
Maggie, I've been meaning to reply to the issue you described but kept forgetting. Although it may not be typical moire, it may be related to as such, especially as the 35mm f2.8 C Bigon is an incredably high resolving lens. As such it's know to provoke color moire with regards to its use on M9 then possibly any other rangefinder lens. This issue as it may relate to the M9 sensor, also depends on the a number of other shooting related parameters.

Just some food for thought.

Dave (D&A)

D&A

I'm going to try the C Biogon on an M8 and with my M2 and some Portra and see what comes of that.

Keep in mind, even if you see nothing out of the ordinary with use of that lens on the M8 or film, that might or might not have direct relavancy for the kind of interaction it has with the M9 sensor.

Dave (D&A)

Maggie O

Keep in mind, even if you see nothing out of the ordinary with use of that lens on the M8 or film, that might or might not have direct relavancy for the kind of interaction it has with the M9 sensor.

Dave (D&A)
Oh, I know, but I'll know what cameras to use it on!

I've out of commission for a while but still watching the forum :eek:

Some really great work being posted here - too many to catch up on but you guys keep me motivated to shoot when I can, so thanks!

Work has me consumed but I do manage to pop off a few shots here and there.

Some recent shots of friends and family in no particular order:

M9 + 50mm lux

My sister - same combo

A Zen monk friend of mine - same combo

My Zen Master- M9 + 90mm elmarit - processed in SEP2

Thanks for looking - cheers,

Status
Not open for further replies.