The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun w/Digital M Images

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashwinrao1

Some of the "Usual Suspects", i.e. "the Characters of Pike's Place Market"

Mainly taken with the cheap ($200) Canon 50 mm f/1.8 LTM or the Leitz Elmar-C 90 mm f/4 (parrot/man shots)

scho

Drove up the east shore of Cayuga Lake today to drop off some prints for a show at the King Ferry Winery and ran into more blustery, snow squalls. Plume in second image is from a coal fired power plant on the east shore of the lake. Leaving soon for a cruise around South America and I'll try to post some more interesting images along the way - if I can get decent internet access.

Leica M-E with Contax G 28mm f/2.8 Biogon

Godfrey

Winter Trees In Fog #3

Leica M9 + Hektor 135mm f/4.5
ISO 1000 @ f/8 @ 1/250 second

Thanks for looking. Comments always appreciated.

G

scho

Just practicing with the iPad in prep for my trip. Shot with M-E and Contax G 45 Planar, uploaded to iPad, converted to jpg with PhotoRaw (no other processing), and posted image here. Now all I need is decent wifi on the trip and some good photo ops.:)

Sugar maple sap.

PatrickCheung

Hey guys! Long time no see :)

I havent posted in a while... been shooting film mostly, so I hope you don't mind the analog photos! I met a few cool people and had a few interesting events happen in the past while...

From the M5 and the Zeiss 28 Biogon and 35 Summaron!

I had a watch that needed repairing (a Seiko Bellmatic from '71), and I heard that the best watchmaker in Toronto was Shane Ede. I gave him a call and he told me to pay him a visit.

I waited for him at his doorstep, thinking "man it's cold... where is this guy?!" A few minutes later the door swung open and an old man stood behind it with a big smile, and said "hello! Come on in!" I shook his hand, and stepped in with my family.

He showed us to his office, a small room with a CD collection covering one wall, cabinets filled with watches covering two adjacent walls, and his work bench opposite to the CD's. He sat down and looked at the Seiko while I paced around the room looking at all the watches in the room. An Omega Speedmaster caught my eye.

He tinkered with my watch a bit and told me that the watch has some damage to it, it looked as if someone who was inexperienced took it apart and messed with it, put it back together, and sold it. I asked what could be done, "source parts and repair it... but it won't be cheap. Just buy another Bellmatic, there are tons out there." he said.

I told him I'm happy with this watch, and I'd rather start saving for a Speedmaster. He looked at me and said... "Be careful. It's a shame that you're into this hobby... it's a very slippery slope, and there are many bad people out there who only care about making money."

He told me to never buy a watch from India unless the seller is willing to take a refund. The watches there are legit, even the vintage ones (left over by the british), but are usually water-logged and have irrepairable damage done to them by the high humidty and moisture.

He told me to never buy a new Omega because the Swatch Group has replaced all the quality movements with standard ETA "swiss" movements "made in China that are worth only $25". He told me a story of his friend, a collector, who took his Seamaster to Omega's repair facility to have it serviced. He saw a row of 5 chinese workers and asked them how much they made. When he discovered that they made minimum wage doing services that Omega charges $500 for, he told off the manager and swore never to buy another watch again. "They charge you $500, then give the watch to a repairman who gets paid $10 an hour. There's no motivation to do quality work." In other words, you get charged $500 for a $50 job.

"It's a slippery slope, and you have to be careful." He said. "I don't want to see people getting scammed."

I thought about what he said, and in all honesty... I don't doubt him. I've never been attracted to new watches because they're over-priced chunks of steel with standard movements found in every other watch. Buying a $500 Longines might as well be the same as buying a $1000+ Bell and Ross if you're still getting some stock ETA movement.

I asked him which watch in this room is his. "None of them! I don't own a watch!" he said. Surprised, I asked him how he got into this hobby. "By accident. I do it because I find it fun!"

Shane Ede is one of the most happy, kind, and genuine people I've met. He'd give up a potential customer just to make sure that a young man doesn't get scammed, doesn't get addicted to the hobby.

I left him another watch, one I bought for my father, with him. I hope to get it back soon, and I have no doubt that he'll do a quality job on it! "$60, that's how much it'll be... I can bring it to your office. I've been riding my bike a lot lately and it's just down the road."

I was on the subway one morning and noticed a father and his son sitting across from me. The child was curious and energetic, looking all over the train and pointing at all the ads, asking what they meant. The father was patient, explaining to the child everything he asked, and entertaining the child as he stared out the window of the moving train.

It seemed to me that the child was only so happy and curious because his father showed him that he loved him.

It made me thankful that I had loving parents.

My parents weren't too happy with me this saturday morning. They sat me down to talk to me about certain photographs of Hillary I uploaded that might bring harm to her. I could tell by their expressions that they were angry. But they never yelled at me... they told me about the photos they saw, but didn't scold me. Instead they asked me... why. I told them why, and I told them that Hillary had given me her permission to upload them, and when she didn't want me to upload certain photos, she would tell me and I would comply.

They told me they weren't happy that I hid the photos and certain intimate aspects of my life from them. I told them I was sorry, I just didn't know how to tell them and I didn't want them to think of my relationship with Hillary as anything less than it is. So I came clean and told him everything about my relationship with Hillary, even the more intimate aspects of it (of course, not in detail. I'm sure they DON'T wanna know that!)

"Do you love her?" My dad asked me. I said yes. I asked him when he knew he was going to marry mom. "We met when we were 19, just like you. I dated mom hoping to marry her. Why waste time and risk hurting others if you didn't intend to marry?" He told me how they always worked together towards marriage.

I told him something similar. That in highschool I dated because I was lonely, but my previous girlfriend was the one that made me consider dating for marriage. That when we broke up, and when I found Hillary, I knew that I wouldn't date her unless I wanted to marry her. That we work together towards our goal of marriage.

He said that he knew and he understood, that he was happy to know that I am serious about Hillary, that we were working towards marriage. Then he referenced the photographs again, and said this:

"If you guys get married, I wouldn't want anybody to use those photos to hurt my daughter-in-law. I don't want her to face that."

I realized he was right, and so I agreed to remove them.

"At this table, nobody knows who's right and wrong, nobody is better and wiser than the other. We just want to have a discussion." And I'm glad they meant that.

"From the first week you began dating, the first time we dropped her off at her appartment, we could tell that she loved you more than you loved her. She looked back as we drove away, waving at us while you went back to sleep. I told mom that I was worried about you, that you would hurt Hillary."

I'm happy to know that I have parents that care about Hillary as well, that look out for her even if it means standing up against me and telling me I was wrong. I'm happy to know that I have parents that chose to converse with me instead of yelling at me.

ashwinrao1

Fantastic and touching story, Patrick of, of your affection for Hillary and the conversation and understanding shared with your parents.

Hosermage

Wonderful and touching story, Patrick. Invite us on your big day and you won't need to hire a wedding photographer :D

Today, since I had a day-off, I took my first photowalk by myself around downtown LA. Revisited places that I've been wanting to go back with the M9. Here's the first of the series... The Bradbury Building. I'll skip the usual angles and try to show you something different:

JimCollum

after too much focus on work... i managed to meet up with a friend who came out form Utah with his 8x10.. a morning shoot in SF.

(all with M9 & 35mm preasph lux.)

Status
Not open for further replies.