The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun w/Digital M Images

Status
Not open for further replies.

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
re: Fun with the New Leica M

Jono and Joe - thanks for your interest.

On the color, I'm still experimenting. I kind of like the hot light old Kodochrom look on the first one. As you know I'm more at home with black and white. The files are very deep and flexible. What I like most so far is the ability to push the blues down (which I often do for the sky) with less problem.with white fringing than I've had with other cameras.

But mainly it's just a kick to shoot. The sound and shutter feel are amazing and I do think that the RF accuracy may be improved.

I used the 18mm without a finder (mounting a level instead which is very helpful with very wide) and just assumed that it got everything, but used LV when it mattered.

PatrickCheung

Hello guys :)

Making my monthly visit here... I'll share with you a photography-related story:

I began talking to Miho again (shown above). We were never really that close, she was just that hard working girl in my class... we hung out a little during our first year, but that was about it. She has a passion for silk ropes, you know... the circus (like not clown circus, acrobat circus!) performers that tangle themselves in silk to climb high above the audience. In first year, she would travel back to Toronto every weekend (almost three hour round trip) just to attend practice. But second year got a little too intense and she gave it up so she could keep up with architecture school. She always looked tired, a little depressed, and really stressed out.

Near the end of the second year and the beginning of our first co-op/internship term, I asked her where she would be working next term, and she told me quietly that she'd be taking the term off, training, getting fit, and apply to circus school. She wasn't planning on coming back.

I messaged her a week ago to see how she was doing... and she seemed to be doing much better: she moved to Montreal, found a job at a ceramics studio, and practices at the local circus school every night :p

She told me never to give up photography, and to take my dreams seriously. Said I had a lot of potential, I just had to chase it, and make something out of it.

If you want to read her story, a Journalism student wrote an article on Miho. Read it here!

It got me thinking that I've neglected photography for a really long time... I used to post here everyday, I used to take a photograph every day... but now it's maybe.. once every two weeks I produce one photograph? Kinda sucks, really. I've neglected my flickr, tumblr, facebook... I've been so overwhelmed by my work life. I think what I really want is just maybe... a week or two to fully dedicate to photography, catch up on my flickr/tumblr/getdpi, start a new blog/database (500px, maybe?) and really push my work out there. Enter a few contests, submit a few articles to blogs.

I began shooting a lot of film this term, and I didn't quite know why. I use my lunch break to wander around a 6 block radius from my office with a film camera, taking photos of the people I converse with. Many days, I'd come back without a single shot, some days I'd come back with one... others I'd come back with 3-4. I've also turned my bathroom into a darkroom and began developing film at home. I also picked up a 4x5 large format camera (a Crown Graphic, for those interested) and some sheet film. Shooting large format and developing my own film sort of helped me realized why film was my medium of choice.

It sounds ridiculous, but I shoot film because it forces me to return to photography. With film, there's no distraction of a screen or a meter (at least on my cameras... I took the battery out of my M5), there's just you, the machine (not a camera, a machine), and a medium. You see something, you operate the machine as if it were a part of you, and you capture on the medium, that's that. Nothing to tell you your exposure is wrong and you need to adjust before shooting, nothing to look at after you've shot, the process is clean, simple, and pure. During the hour I spend each day walking around the city, the camera becomes an extension of me, and I'm immersed in the process of photography, regardless of whether or not I take a photograph.

In the darkroom, you dedicate about a half hour of your time to the photograph... there are no distractions, just you and the photograph. The photograph relies on your movement, attention, and care in order to exist. You produce a tangible image at the end of the process... you've, in someways, created something.

It's these two things, film and the darkroom, that still keep me connected to photography. It sounds like a whole lot of bull, but that's what keeps me going :p (I AM in architecture school after all... it's 4 years of bull...).

Here's what I've produced with my silly film stuff:

Hosermage

Nice to see you posting again, Patrick... I'm not shooting much lately, too, just random stuff around the house. However, for me, it's the quick edits that keeps me in the "game", because I really can't find much spare time. Here's a little something from this afternoon.

edwardkaraa

Cenek, Steve, thank you soooo much for your nice comments :salute:

Thank you all for the likes.

Great work everyone. Sorry for not commenting often but the like button turns me lazy. Patrick, great to see you drop by. Love reading your posts :)

JeffWarren

Jono & Joe thanks as well...& like woody on the color I am still experimenting. In LR I think I took a medium contrast curve and added punch and that was that.

How do I feel Jono about the color...its different than the M9 for sure. I am not saying worse than or better just different. On this pic I used the 50 APO F2. Plus ND and I do like it..the color that is as well as the lens

thanks Jeff

Godfrey

On a chilly Ballaugh Beach ...

Incognito - Ballaugh Beach 2013
Leica M9 + Nokton 50/1.5

Yes the white patches behind us are lingering snow.

Enjoy!

jonoslack

Here are a couple of landscapes with the 28 'cron.

Personally I'm usually liking the colour . . . usually.

all the best

jonoslack

. . . . and my beautiful 75 APO summicron is back from Solms focusing perfectly

For one reason or another I haven't had it since October, and it's ample compensation for having to send back the 50 APO 'cron.

Grabbing Caspar by the Goolies

V

Vivek

Not fair, Jono! :lecture:

The only two Summicrons I am looking for now!

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member

So one way to do color is to look for colorful things. Actually probably not the best strategy. M + 18mm SEM.

Status
Not open for further replies.