The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun w/Digital M Images

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonoslack

re: Fun with the New Leica M

Good question: here are some alternatives...

Jon O'Slack
Jo Noslack
J. Ono-Slack
Jonas Lack (bit of a stretch that one)

it's anyone's guess! :D:D:D
:p

. . . . and to think, we almost called our middle boy Titus . . . . . . . .:facesmack:

V

Vivek

re: Fun with the New Leica M

When I heard the name as "Jaunau"in an interview (American version), i asked Jono and it is Jono. :D

Photojazz

Re: Fun with the New Leica M

well, it's a little confusing the way it is now. One thread should be differentiated some way I would think, but I'll let it go, I know the difference now. I guess new people will figure out out on their own.

jonoslack

well, it's a little confusing the way it is now. One thread should be differentiated some way I would think, but I'll let it go, I know the difference now. I guess new people will figure out out on their own.
HI There
I had it changed to the NEW Leica M . . . I thought that would do, and was better than the dreaded '240'

jonoslack

Here is another tree and dog shot - I like them (and soon the leaves will stop all this malarkey!)

Dog and Tree
Leica M with WATE at 16mm

Vlad

First opportunity to shoot the MM at an event. Oscar de la Renta bridal backstage.

I am utterly in awe over this camera. I feel like this camera will be mine forever, till death do us part... and my wife's perfectly okay with that.

All with 35 Lux ASPH, some with SF24 flash mounted.

Sharokin

I have been considering getting back into a Leica M system ever since the Leica M 240 was announced. The M9 seemed to have too many compromises for me to commit such a large budget.
Today I saw some images from the camera on rangefinderforum.com. It was a behind the scenes look at the Melbourne fashion show all photographed with the new M and a Leica 50mm and Voightlander 35.
To be honest the image quality was atrocious. Reminded me of my Canon DSLR's from the early 2000's. The images were plasticy with muted and lifeless colors.
I still haven't seen anything from this camera that gets me excited to spend a large budget to get into this system.

As a former photojournalist the Leica M6 and MP were (specially the M6) were my go to cameras for anything shot with a 50mm lens or shorter. Unfortunately I sold off my Leica's and five lenses during the beginning of the digital revolution in the early 2000's to finance Canon DSLR's.
To this day I have not used a camera from any manufacturer that has the feel of a Leica M.

I started with an M8 a few years ago and moved quickly to an M9. Recently I purchased a used M8.2... I forgot how smooth the images are at ISO 160! Taken with 50 Summilux-M ASPH, f/1,4.

ced

Thanks to all that posted likes! Much appreciated!
Here are 2 Both M9 1st.75mm Summarit, 2nd 90mm Cron.Apo

Last edited:

gogopix

Subscriber

I have been considering getting back into a Leica M system ever since the Leica M 240 was announced. The M9 seemed to have too many compromises for me to commit such a large budget.
Today I saw some images from the camera on rangefinderforum.com. It was a behind the scenes look at the Melbourne fashion show all photographed with the new M and a Leica 50mm and Voightlander 35.
To be honest the image quality was atrocious. Reminded me of my Canon DSLR's from the early 2000's. The images were plasticy with muted and lifeless colors.
I still haven't seen anything from this camera that gets me excited to spend a large budget to get into this system.

As a former photojournalist the Leica M6 and MP were (specially the M6) were my go to cameras for anything shot with a 50mm lens or shorter. Unfortunately I sold off my Leica's and five lenses during the beginning of the digital revolution in the early 2000's to finance Canon DSLR's.
To this day I have not used a camera from any manufacturer that has the feel of a Leica M.
Well, I applaud your straight talk on the "M". I too am having problems but it may be just "early days" while Leica works on the FW.

I tried (see below) a bit of 'punch' PP to get a more M9 look, and it shows that it CAN be punched up. Here, the image was a crop (graciously, Jono gave me permission to play around)

If we just say "the "M" is a Leica, therefore the best" then what about all the M8/M9 people who say "the look is different, not as good as the Former cameras"

They are not ALL crazy! So what is it? can some of what Sean Reid calls "presence" be returned? He shows that a downrez does a lot (and actually shifts color to M9 like spectrum) His review was enlightening.

A few points:
1. Not only is CMOS a different readout technology, there are other challenges and compromises, just as in CCD (see Tim Ashley's review that striking points out the M9 limitations, in fact of CCD in general! )
2. The pixel pitch may be getting to the semiconductor limit
3. The pitch is smaller as the resolution is higher. It may also be affected by the angle if incidence; it is not just diffraction of lens and aperture blades, the whole path is prone to edge effects.

So with that, the following is JUST to show that an "M" image can be manipulated and get some extra punch from simple clarity, tone and edge sharpening. The bridge scene is more subtle, but the bird? Yes, there is an artificiality, but to my eye, not 'plasticy' but rather a bit brittle. This is a crop though, and full frames will take a lot more shaking around as the parkscape shows
Before you complain about PP, I know many pros here dial in a "look" that adds punch with clarity, saturation, and tone, keeping the dreaded "oversharpening" at bay. It adds interest, and let's face it, the data in a bayer matrix just isn't what our eyes see! :)

With the risk that I may have gone over the edge, here is Jono's robin with some post. It does one thing at least for me; it starts to get back that 'isolation' of the key image from the background that gives the presence.

Regards
Victor

PS First is a larger image, the bird is cropped so PP has a more severe effect.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.