The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun w/Digital M Images

Status
Not open for further replies.

Photojazz

As the rain continues to fall this weekend, more experimenting with the 35 lux:

@ 1.4 handheld, silver effex 2 processed with one control point adding light at the photographer's lamp head. This is the Photographer's lamp from Pottery Barn. I told you, I was a lighting freak.

tashley

Subscriber Member
Re: Fun with the New Leica M

One more with the M, CV 21 Ultron and the family

I love that shot - the combination of extra wide FOV and really good pop from shallow DOF is quite unusual and makes that lens look very attractive - do you have any comments on usability? Such as how you either code it ir what you tell the camera it is? And how well the camera deals with colour shifts?

Thanks for sharing!
Tim

tashley

Subscriber Member
One with the F1 Noctilux and the M240

Wide open but a slight cheat in that I have then corrected vignetting as much as possible, cropped, added artificial post-crop vignetting and made a small local sharpening and clarity adjustment to the pooch's eye just to tighten it up a bit. But there aren't many lenses that can get this look, with or without processing...

arild

Great set here, Arild, the first three shots in particular. Very nice, as is the b/w conversion.
Thank you, Lloyd! Those first three are my favourites from today, too. the conversion is a tour through lr4, only to be treated to heavy contrast and structure , and some blue or green filtering in sefx2. I was a big fan of niksoft when I used canon, but fell in love with the plugins when I took the Solms plunge. Some added inherent crispness to the files, and even lovelier optics.

Lloyd

I'm impressed in particular, Arild, because as a rule, I'm not a huge fan of B/W conversions of the M9 files. They don't seem to do as well in conversion as the M8 files. Seeing these shots of yours, I may have to revise my opinion. Thank you.

Photojazz

I liked the line series too arild, and in fact, continued it in a way. heh. That is really one of my favorite types of photography. Especially BW.

That dude would make a pretty good St. Nick Lloyd

D&A

Re: Fun with the New Leica M

You know Tim....you went through that elaborate explanantion of your post processing technique...cancel vignetting, then adding it back, then localized shapening and finally clarity adjustment....and do you think that cute adorable little pooch gives a damn....LOL! I bet you he loves his owner all the same (as his owner loves him), especally if he gets his daily treats! :) (I wasn't sure if that was your dog or not?)

Oh by the way....lovely image and yes, often times the Noct f1 can present an image like no other.

Dave (D&A)

Photojazz

yeah, probably when he makes his real money! LOL. Great shot Lloyd. Interesting subject with his buttons and all. I wonder what the other one said we can't see.

Lloyd

He has two on the left side. One has his name, and "MBA - Master Balloon Artist", and the other says, "Experience is something you don't get 'till right after you need it."

arild

Hah, I´m baffled. Thanks for the boost of confidence!

Lloyd; What I really wanted was a Monochrom. That´s my dream camera, but I found that I really couldn´t spend that much money (got the M9 for half of what an MM would cost) on a camera. It´s just a passion, after all. The M8 was strongly considered due to the BW advantage, but I "needed" a 36x24 sensor, heh. I have no basis of comparison in Leica cameras, so I just found the M9 miles better than any of my other cameras in the BW conversion department. My 1D mk2 is very, very good, and I could produce better looking monochromatic files with that than with my 1Ds mk2. Why that was, I have no idea. Thank you for your kind words! I thought maybe I was going overboard with the BW conversions, but very glad to hear that´s not the case to some!

MBA is a lovely shot, I can see you like to use a less harsh approach to the BW conversion. I´m not as experienced as most on here, so I like to take things to the extremes, for better or worse, haha. :)

Jazz; love your lighting shots, and especially the last one. I think it is pretty abstract, and could be interpreted in a lot of ways due to the nature of the exposure (could also be my monitor that is out of whack, lol!), but I see a full moon. I must confess I´ve never really spent too much time considering artificial lighting, but had a small case of strobism for a while. Thank you, too, for your kind words. (And, for what it´s worth, I have a serious case of gear whoreitis, not as bad with photo gear, but heavy metal race ski bindings from the 90s are an obsession of mine. I plan to shoot my puny collection in the summer!)

arild

Edward, they are all lovely pictures, but the last of your series struck my heart. Beautiful content. I need to find one of those 85/4 lenses. I assume (but I could be wrong) that it uses the 90mm framelines? Thank you.

edwardkaraa

Edward, they are all lovely pictures, but the last of your series struck my heart. Beautiful content. I need to find one of those 85/4 lenses. I assume (but I could be wrong) that it uses the 90mm framelines? Thank you.
Thank you very much arild. Greatly appreciated.

Indeed it uses the 90mm framelines, but especially at infinity, you will get around 15-20% extra coverage, so you will have to frame tightly.

arild

Thank you very much arild. Greatly appreciated.

Indeed it uses the 90mm framelines, but especially at infinity, you will get around 15-20% extra coverage, so you will have to frame tightly.
Same story as with the 28 framelines, for a 28mm, then! I find the frameline accuracy, at least on that focal length, at all focus lengths, appalling. I plan to try fixing the lever to 35mm to see it that makes it all better.. Thank you for your help! Will sift through Paris in November for one of those, and if not, a 90 TE Leica.

Status
Not open for further replies.