The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun w/Digital M Images

Status
Not open for further replies.

mAlKhamis

Well, at the risk of being an internet geek, I think that the third one is SPQR: SPQR is an initialism from a Latin phrase, Senātus Populusque Rōmānus ("The Senate and People of Rome"), referring to the government of the ancient Roman Republic, and used as an official emblem of the modern day comune (municipality) of Rome. It appears on coins, at the end of documents made public by inscription in stone or metal, in dedications of monuments and public works, and was emblazoned on the standards of the Roman legions.
The phrase appears many hundreds of times in Roman political, legal and historical literature, including the speeches of Cicero and the Ab urbe condita libri ("Books from the Founding of the City") of Titus Livius (Livy).

The title's date of establishment is unknown, but it first appears in inscriptions of the Late Republic, from c. 80 BC onwards.

(from Wikipedia)
Thank you so much Arjuna, the correction has been made, you are correct ! :salute: I really appreciate the info, cheers!

m_driscoll

Re: Fun with the New Leica M

I'm going to "bump" this thread because I should have one of these, tomorrow! :D:D:D. Poor WB, detachable lugs, jittery video, buttons in the wrong places, EVF "wart", overpriced, under-whelming...and, all. ;)

Cheers, Matt

zombii

I love that shot - the combination of extra wide FOV and really good pop from shallow DOF is quite unusual and makes that lens look very attractive - do you have any comments on usability? Such as how you either code it ir what you tell the camera it is? And how well the camera deals with colour shifts?

Thanks for sharing!
Tim
On the M9, I code mine as an Elmarit 21 ASPH. Almost completely removes the vignetting and the colors are very good. Only downside is that the camera won't report an aperture wider than 2.8.

V

Vivek

Can the new M recognize change in apertures? What difference does it make if the widest aperture is reported as f/0.95 or f/2.8?

Can the new M recognize change in apertures? What difference does it make if the widest aperture is reported as f/0.95 or f/2.8?
Both the widest aperture and the actual (estimated) aperture are reported in the exif data and recognized by many raw converters (LR, Aperture, Capture One ...). The widest aperture of the lens is taken from the 6 bit code or from the manual input, the actual aperture is just an estimate, same as in the M8 and M9, determined using the camera light meter and the "blue dot" readings.
To the best of my knowledge the aperture data are for information only and are not used in the processing pipeline.

jonoslack

I'm going to "bump" this thread because I should have one of these, tomorrow! :D:D:D. Poor WB, detachable lugs, jittery video, buttons in the wrong places, EVF "wart", overpriced, under-whelming...and, all. ;)

Cheers, Matt
Hi Matt - congratulations - you'll love it . . . . I've just had my lugs sorted out in Solms today - I'm not allowed to use a strap on it for 24 hours.

all the best

gogopix

Subscriber

Cheers, Matt

Great Matt, i am sure you will enjoy it. I had to settle for M9 temporarity, as M lug issues have delayed the deliveries...

HOWEVER, watch the WB issues. As you can see from Tim Ashley's new photo icon, Leica still has work to do in that area :D

regards
Victor

m_driscoll

Gentlemen: Thanks! Just brought it home a couple of hours ago. It's a heavy beast.

Here's the first out of the box, OOC, jpegs. Imported into LR4 and uploaded to Zenfolio. No other action. I like what I see, so far. Firmware 1.1.0.2.

Cheers, Matt

zombii

I love that shot - the combination of extra wide FOV and really good pop from shallow DOF is quite unusual and makes that lens look very attractive - do you have any comments on usability? Such as how you either code it ir what you tell the camera it is? And how well the camera deals with colour shifts?

Thanks for sharing!
Tim
On the M9, I code mine as an Elmarit 21 ASPH. Almost completely removes the vignetting and the colors very good. Only downside is that the camera won't report an aperture wider than 2.8.

m_driscoll

So you got it? If so, congrats. :thumbup:
I did! On my way to Spokane today, so, it won't get much use. This weekend I'll be out with it. Keep meaning to connect in SLC. I'm sending someone else to the site/draw meetings. I need to go down to see the building in the next couple of months. I'll see if your available for coffee when I do.

Cheers, and say hi to Mimi.

Matt

Lloyd

I did! On my way to Spokane today, so, it won't get much use. This weekend I'll be out with it. Keep meaning to connect in SLC. I'm sending someone else to the site/draw meetings. I need to go down to see the building in the next couple of months. I'll see if your available for coffee when I do.

Cheers, and say hi to Mimi.

Matt
Looking forward to some pix. And to your visit here. I'll make time. :thumbup:

RF_Licks

Congrats Matt, enjoy your M240!

Mine just returned from Solms for the lug fix. Here's one where the EVF was useful. Rangefinder purist might scoff at me and prefer to use a ruler to focus, but I'll gladly use technology when available :D
Nikkor SC 5cm f/1.4 ltm at approx 16 inches.

Joe

RF_Licks

Yes but on Lightroom 4, it is predicting aperture all over the place, especially when shot wide open. For instance, on a f/1.4 or f/2 shot, it often shows an aperture of f/11 or f/16 and this is quite frequent. Not sure if anyone knows of a fix for LR?

Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.