The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun w/Digital M Images

Status
Not open for further replies.

BANKER1

Thanks Bob. It occurred to me to post an objection, but I thought it should be done by a Mod. Thankfully you did the right thing. Most of us escape to photography from the political bombardment we receive daily.

Greg

chrism

Any thoughts on combining the 'Even New Fun....' thread and the 'Fun with the New Leica M' thread?
Mike
Love the photographs but wanted to comment on your question - yes, let us please combine the threads. I see double posts aplenty (the guilty will know who they are....!) from folks who want their lovely photos seen, and it is wasteful and inefficient. I would be happy to include the Monochrom thread too, but would understand if that goes too far for some.

Chris

jonoslack

Oh, come on. The Administrator didn't edit your photos--which is the point of this thread--he just removed your political commentary. That's not censorship, that's a reminder that this is a photography board, not a political commentary site. Love your photos, by the way. Don't stop doing that.
Well. I put a more explicit post earlier and removed it after I learned more about the situation from Bob. I can understand that any kind of political opinion tends to cause ructions (especially on the Leica forum)

On the other hand, replacing Michael' s fairly innocuous text with a warning gives the impression that it was some terrible political polemic (which it wasn't).

I sympathise with the desire to keep any kind of political or religious opinions off the forum (because they always seem to bring out the worst in people). But in this case I feel that it could have been handled so that MTsullivan didn't look like some kind of political extremist.

I, like you, look forward to seeing more of his excellent shots in the future. They really speak for themselves.

All the best

jonoslack

Back to the snaps.
Here are 4 shots taken with the 35-70 f4 Vario Elmar on the M - the macro mode really does get you quite close and the lens is pretty light and balances well on the M - even without the grip.

The knife shot is not cropped for instance

Knife hand made by Trevor Ablett

Flowers by a wheat field

Wasps eating our pears

Emma's Fergie

All the best

jonoslack

Hi there
I had a little accident on eBay yesterday and am now the proud owner of a 1957 vintage rigid summicron 50.
I think it looks very pretty on the silver M

Here is a little test shot in our kitchen.

Mike Woods

Lovely Mike
You're making that Zeiss sing!
Thanks Jono. Don't expect to be using it that often because I prefer longer focal lengths for my usual 'street' stuff, but when I do get out for some peace and quiet it will definitely be in the bag - which was the point of buying it.

Performance-wise, some very slight red edge depending on the scene (lots of sky, for example) irrespective of coding or not, but a little negative vignetting in LR seems to pull most of that back (can't be bothered with Cornerfix).

A few more and then I'll shut up! Don't look at the last one for too long - it was a 16 second exposure which will make your eyes hurt :)

Mike

Lloyd

Hi there
I had a little accident on eBay yesterday and am now the proud owner of a 1957 vintage rigid summicron 50.
Congrats, Jono, that rigid is a wonderful lens. I think you'll especially love it on the Monochrome. Looking forward to some more results.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Hi there
--snip
[/CENTER]
My favorite lens from my youth :grin:
but it is still newer than me :eek:
-bob

ashwinrao1

Super excited for you, Jono. The rigid is my favorite lens on the MM for "the balance" of its properties (performance, size, OOF, build quality). I hope that you enjoy it on both the M and the MM. It's a lens, with its color palette and slightly cooler rendition, that may play quite well with the M!

rayyan

Still using CCD, grandpa?..so passé..it is cmos all the way..

which lens? not the choice of connoisseurs? But this is a sterile lens grandpa.
No wonder I come out so...so like you grandpa.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Censorship is terrible thing! Not only do photographers have to worry about being censored or stopped in public for taking pictures, but now we have to be careful and not post reportage images in photography forums. Gods forbid someone is enlightened to what is happening in other parts of the world. One of the things I appreciate about this thread is not only wonderful photography produced with a camera I like and now use, but to also see other parts of the world and glimpse into what other people are seeing and or experiencing. If something is not to my liking I simply ignore it and move on, which is what I'm guessing others do as well. And commentary about a particular photo or photo set helps give the viewer context--whether biased or unbiased.

Lastly, I feel it would have been in better taste for the admin to have sent me a private message or email asking me to edit my commentary or delete the post altogether instead of the public example-making that was done--the above message was not only meant for me, but for others as well to not post anything with commentary that may appear to be biased. My guess is that he was offended by the post and reacted emotionally rather than rationally. Because judging from the half-dozen likes the post received, it didn't seem to offend anyone else.

Happy image making!!!
We received several complaints about the political nature of your post, and moreover had a few folks that added they were offended by same. Again, we remain as Switzerland here -- GetDPI is NOT an open forum for individuals to express political or religious POV's -- it IS a forum where you can share images with neutral commentary and let the readers draw THEIR OWN conclusions. In fact, I'll go one step further -- if you feel the need to share the POV you are trying to convey with your images in writing, then you probably failed with your journalistic imagery in the first place. (In your particular case, I do believe your images were strong enough on their own, and actually made a stronger case for your side by themselves -- the addition of your written POV only served to turn off a set of otherwise open-minded viewers.)

We understand you personally don't like it, but it's our house and those are the rules if you want to participate here.

scott kirkpatrick

Waterfalls

Iceland has waterfalls almost everywhere you look, for good geological reasons.

I've posted several other subjects from a few weeks ago in a micro 4/3 thread for my Olympus 75/1.8 (effectively a 150mm), but waterfalls and the country around them seem to call for at least a moderate wide angle. These are with an M9 and 35 SX-FLE:

The last two, from Gullfoss, were taken with the Olympus 12/2.0 (effective 24 mm)

scott

Status
Not open for further replies.