The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun w/Digital M Images

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lloyd

Beautiful spot and shot, Dan. Conjures many memories for me… I was living there in Monroe in 1976, and spent many very pleasant hours along that river.

seakayaker

1/27/2014 - Blue Moon Tavern ~ University District Neighborhood, Seattle, WA

I walk or drive by the Blue Moon just about every day and since I enjoy poetry quite a bit this little Seattle landmark holds a small place in my heart.

Seattle’s Blue Moon Tavern first opened its doors at 712 NE 45th Street near the University of Washington on or near April 15, 1934. Founded by Hank Reverman, the tavern was an instant hit with students who, under state law, had to trek one mile from campus to buy a beer. During the 1950s and 1960s, subsequent owners Jack and Jim David and, later, Stanford Poll welcomed an assortment of radicals, artists, writers, journalists, beatniks, hippies, and wannabees. Poets Theodore Roethke (1901-1963), Richard Hugo (1924-1982), Carolyn Kizer (b. 1925), Stanley Kunitz (1905-2006), and David Wagoner could often be found at the bar, along with famous visitors such as Dylan Thomas (1914-1953) and Allen Ginsberg (1926-1997).

M9 - Summilux-M 35mm f1.4 ASPH ~ ISO 400 ~ 1/60 ~ f1.4

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Dan, ISO 400 or 4000? I see a bunch of noise -- so much I assume it's an effect you added?

seakayaker

Dan, ISO 400 or 4000? I see a bunch of noise -- so much I assume it's an effect you added?
Jack here is the original version, raw converted to tiff in PS6, then adjusted to 12 x18 with a lower resolution, then saved as a jpeg to post.

The photo was taken at ISO 400

The picture above was first cropped in PS6 then opened in NIK HDR EFEX PRO 2 selecting the Tone Mapping (single image) then opened in NIK Color Efex Pro 4 for the black border, dark contrasts and film grain.

The photo was one six photographs I took while walking home. I needed a photograph for my project which is to take and post a photograph each day for a year. If none of the six did not make the cut it would have been back out with the tripod. Something I was not up for this evening due to some crunch time at work today and a bit spent.

The grain and the noise worked well for me with this subject, the decor has not been updated much since the opening in 1934, and the poets have been replace by loud music.

m_driscoll

Washington, D.C., last November. Georgetown, the National Geographic Museum's show of women photographer's work, and ?.
M(240) with 35mm f/1.4 FLE.

Cheers, Matt

seakayaker

1/28/2014 ~ Lake Washington Ship Canal linking North Lake Union to Portage Bay, Eastlake Neighborhood, Seattle, WA

Leica M9 ~ Summilux-M 35mm f/1.4 ASPH ~ 5 photographs combined using NIK HDR Efex Pro 2 Merge Multiple Image Series

Last edited:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Jack here is the original version, raw converted to tiff in PS6, then adjusted to 12 x18 with a lower resolution, then saved as a jpeg to post.
Okay, thanks for the explanation. I guess I pretty much like everything except that to my eyes at least, the film grain effect looks excessive to the point it detracts from the otherwise good image -- and why I asked. For whatever it's worth, I mush prefer your "cleaner finish" night and low light shots.

seakayaker

1/29/2014 ~ Volunteer Park's Reservoir ~ Capital Hill Neighborhood, Seattle, WA

Leica M9 ~ Summilux-M 35mm f/1.4 ASPH ~ 6 photographs combined HDR

Status
Not open for further replies.