The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun w/Digital M Images

Status
Not open for further replies.

seakayaker

View of Elliott Bay at the Twilight Hour while Enjoying the Warm Sun and Breeze, 8th Avenue W, Queen Anne Neighborhood, Seattle, WA

M9 with Leica Summilux-M 50mm f1.4 ASPH ~ ISO 160 ~ 1/350 ~ f11

gogopix

Subscriber
Hankies, or White and Green

M240, Macro-Elmar
Robert,
Nice eye for visual rhythm.

I have been away for a while, so I came her to see what was happening M-wise. I was scrolling thru and the thread and see LOTS more M9, M8 M-E than 240.

Hmmm.

In early days I stayed (and still have) the M9. Just couldn't get any "Leica Look" from the 240 images, UNLESS I did a lot of post processing.
So, Robert, are your images native? or did you need to do some contrast enhancement etc to get the more 'depth' (3-D?) look I have always expected from a Leica?

[and no, i do NOT want to start a CMOS vs CCD discussion :shocked: ]

regards
Victor

gogopix

Subscriber
Hankies, or White and Green

M240, Macro-Elmar
Robert,

I have been away for a while, so I came her to see what was happening M-wise. I was scrolling thru and the thread and see LOTS more M9, M8 M-E than 240.

Hmmm.

In early days I stayed (and still have) the M9. Just couldn't get any "Leica Look" from the 240 images, UNLESS I did a lot of post processing.
So, Robert, are your images native? or did you need to do some contrast enhancement etc to get the more 'depth' (3-D?) look I have always expected from a Leica?

regards
Victor

seakayaker

David D Johnson (white shirt) and Garet Wolfe Discussing Image at the Opening of 'An Off the Wall Look at Human Nature' exhibition at the Sky Gallery at the University of Washing Medical Center, Seattle, WA (May 15 thru July 13th, 2014)

David taught Photography at the University of Washington and Garet and I were fortunate to have taken a few classes from David. A number of former students along with family, friends and colleagues attended the opening featuring 50 pieces of David's work.

M9 with Leica Summilux-M 50mm f1.4 ASPH ~ ISO 160 ~ 1/45 ~ f4.8

Robert Campbell

Robert,

Hmmm.

regards
Victor
Hi Victor, thanks for the comments.

The files were all dng, processed in LR5. I usually tweak the exposure a little, recover highlights if necessary, add a little contrast, a little clarity and vibrance and a mild S-contrast curve. The top pic is slightly cropped, as I didn't notice an ugly intrusion on the far left. That's about all I ever do. These were processed on an uncalibrated MacBook Pro, and uploaded to Flickr. I think they have gained contrast in the process, and certainly look more "vivid".

Occasionally, when I'm looking for something more, I'll take a pic which has a 'dominant' area or spot of colour, desaturate all the other colours and saturate the 'dominant' one, leaving a greyscale image with a single area of colour.

I'm not at all sure that I could tell or define a Leica look, not could I tell the difference between CMOS and CCD. I have an M240 mostly for the live view and the visoflex, not because of the type of sensor.

As far as the visual rhythm is concerned, I find a Leica is both the simplest and the most difficult or challenging camera to use. Simple, because it gives you the basics, and is mostly manual; most challenging because I have to think about composition, move around etc. I'm a "slow" not a "fast" photographer. And a Monochrom is the most challenging camera of all.

seakayaker

Inbound ~ F/V Deep Pacific Passing Through the Large Lock of the Hiram M. Chittenden Locks (Ballard Locks), Ballard Neighborhood, Seattle, WA

M9 with Leica Summilux-M 50mm f1.4 ASPH ~ ISO 160 ~ 1/125 ~ f13

seakayaker

Inbound ~ Yankee Clipper Passing Through the Large Lock of the Hiram M. Chittenden Locks (Ballard Locks), Ballard Neighborhood, Seattle, WA

M9 with Leica Summilux-M 50mm f1.4 ASPH ~ ISO 160 ~ 1/45 ~ f13

seakayaker

Inbound ~ Serenite and Yankee Clipper Passing Through the Large Lock of the Hiram M. Chittenden Locks (Ballard Locks), Ballard Neighborhood, Seattle, WA

M9 with Leica Summilux-M 50mm f1.4 ASPH ~ ISO 160 ~ 1/250 ~ f11

seakayaker

Entrance to the Conservatory, Volunteer Park, North Capitol Hill Neighborhood, Seattle, WA

M9 with Leica Summilux-M 50mm f1.4 ASPH ~ ISO 160 ~ 1/15 ~ f16

Status
Not open for further replies.