The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun w/Digital M Images

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hosermage

I made the suggestion of hiking on Memorial Day too carelessly, and some family members called my bluff. We hiked the Sam Merrill trail north of Pasadena, to the ruins of a hotel that was burnt down almost 80 years ago. Here are some shots from today:

gogopix

Subscriber
Hi Victor, thanks for the comments.

The files were all dng, processed in LR5. I usually tweak the exposure a little, recover highlights if necessary, add a little contrast, a little clarity and vibrance and a mild S-contrast curve. The top pic is slightly cropped, as I didn't notice an ugly intrusion on the far left. That's about all I ever do. These were processed on an uncalibrated MacBook Pro, and uploaded to Flickr. I think they have gained contrast in the process, and certainly look more "vivid".

Occasionally, when I'm looking for something more, I'll take a pic which has a 'dominant' area or spot of colour, desaturate all the other colours and saturate the 'dominant' one, leaving a greyscale image with a single area of colour.

I'm not at all sure that I could tell or define a Leica look, not could I tell the difference between CMOS and CCD. I have an M240 mostly for the live view and the visoflex, not because of the type of sensor.

As far as the visual rhythm is concerned, I find a Leica is both the simplest and the most difficult or challenging camera to use. Simple, because it gives you the basics, and is mostly manual; most challenging because I have to think about composition, move around etc. I'm a "slow" not a "fast" photographer. And a Monochrom is the most challenging camera of all.
Thyank you for the explanation. Sounds like modest processing, and you may be right that the colors may have gained some vividness.

I like the comment on being a "slow" vs fast shooter. I always worry that I am too deliberate, but the "hip shots" rarely work :rolleyes:

I have M9 but would like to use other lenses, so 240 has some attraction for me...may trade up.

Regards
Victor

jonoslack

Hi Everyone . . I was lucky enough to go to the Wetzlar opening last week. I'm ashamed to say that I was having fun rather than taking photos, but here are a couple of random snaps

Karin Kaufmann and Erwin Puts

Andreas and Karin Kaufmann

History

History Receding

Status
Not open for further replies.