The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun w/Digital M Images

Status
Not open for further replies.

scott kirkpatrick

Nabatean cities in the Negev desert

Nabateans were an Aramaic-speaking, mostly nomadic people who also imported spices from Oman and Yemen along a route that led along the Red Sea to Petra then across the Negev desert to the port of Gaza on the Mediterranean, supported by sizeable cities which flourished from as early as 300 BCE, had Roman and Byzantine contacts, became Christian around 400 CE, and vanished by 700 CE, following Persian and Moslem conquests. Today's Bedouin may be their descendants. The best restored cities along the Incense Route are Mamshit (near modern Dimona) and Avdat (next post).

They were builders in stone, using arches extensively:

Elaborate mosaics and columns with decorated capitals are found in the churches:

and this sort of baptismal font survives at several sites:

along with a lot of other decorated stonework.

M[240] 35 SX/FLE

scott

Last edited:

scott kirkpatrick

The restorers really got into doing arches at Avdat, which is the largest of the Nabatean cities:

The hill leading up to a fortress with temples and churches is dotted with houses backed by caves for storing goods:

The walls extend for several 100 meters, and also enclose residential districts and a Roman army camp:

scott

Mike Woods

Lovely images. If you don't mind can you share the settings you used? I'm particularly curious about the aperture.

Thanks!
Hi, and thank you!

These were about 40 second exposures with a ND filter. I think I was at about f11 or f16 from memory.

All the best

Mike

silver92b

Hi, and thank you!

These were about 40 second exposures with a ND filter. I think I was at about f11 or f16 from memory.

All the best

Mike
I went out today to shoot the falls near Highlands NC. I managed to get these shots with the CV 15 f4.5 (some are cropped) shot them at f16-f22 with no ND filter. The filters I have only fit the 50mm Lux ASPH. I took some pictures with it too, but those I had to use the ND filters I have.

silver92b

Really like this one....

Mike
Thanks Mike, I like it a lot too. The CV 15f4.5 is wonderful for B&W and let me capture what I wanted to and more. Do you see the person standing just to the right of the falls? Almost in the center of the image. It gives a sense of the size of the falls....

MikalWGrass

Jono, Scarlett was born quite early if I remember correctly. She looks terrific and must be the apple of your and her parents' eyes. Very happy for you guys.

jonoslack

Jono, Scarlett was born quite early if I remember correctly. She looks terrific and must be the apple of your and her parents' eyes. Very happy for you guys.
Thank you Mikal - she was born at 25 weeks and 740gms (1lb 10oz) and spent 10 weeks in intensive care . . . . She'll be two soon, and, as you can see, she's planning world domination :). We're very proud of her, and very grateful to the wonderful Health service here, which pulled out all the stops for her.

silver92b

Went outside today and saw the robin was sitting on its nest. Shot it with the M240 and the Tele-Elmar 135 f4. I cropped it a lot and developed it in LR to enhance the colors. It's amazingly good compared with the same shot taken with the EM-1 and the 35-100 f2.8 Panasonic lens that is effectively a 200mm lens...

The tulips were cropped a bit for compositional purposes, but required no processing. That old, relatively cheap Leica lens is pretty amazing!

Cropped

Tulips

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.