The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun w/Digital M Images

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeterA

Lovely shots of beautifully maintained flying machines Bob - seems that your appetite for shooting has been revitalised with the bare bones Leica - good to see you post so many shots!

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Peter

Thank you for the observation

As this camera makes you work ... I tend to be more involved.

Also attempting to answer for myself the MF question and I think it has pretty much
be laid to rest for me. If the lenses are good enough then it can work if like myself
one does not need huge prints.

And the whole RF esthetic is very compelling ... I wandered around a botanical garden today
and captured a few wonderful pictures ... had a number that were almost there ... no live view
and very slow shutter speeds as I was shooting at base ISO.

Still the experience was sublime ... no noise ... just a very quiet click as I moved from one
capture to another.

Light was low ... no one else was in the garden for an hour ....

Leica M-D 50 APO Summicron

This was a diversion ... I was going to drive out to middle Texas plains for the day to photograph a few draws I have
seen in the past ... small creeks areas with trees in the midst of the prairie ...

Later this week for that. It helps that the ambient temperatures are falling into
comfortable ranges ... I tend to hide in the summer ... other than the necessary garden
and lawn care ... when temps are above 100F I have very little interest in photography.

And yes the lack of latency with capture makes this camera quite compelling.

Regards,

Bob

PeterA

Peter

Also attempting to answer for myself the MF question and I think it has pretty much
be laid to rest for me. If the lenses are good enough then it can work if like myself

And the whole RF esthetic is very compelling ... I wandered around a botanical garden today
and captured a few wonderful pictures ... had a number that were almost there ... no live view
and very slow shutter speeds as I was shooting at base ISO.

Still the experience was sublime ... no noise ... just a very quiet click as I moved from one
capture to another.

Light was low ... no one else was in the garden for an hour ....

This was a diversion ... I was going to drive out to middle Texas plains for the day to photograph a few draws I have
seen in the past ... small creeks areas with trees in the midst of the prairie ...

Later this week for that. It helps that the ambient temperatures are falling into
comfortable ranges ... I tend to hide in the summer ... other than the necessary garden
and lawn care ... when temps are above 100F I have very little interest in photography.

And yes the lack of latency with capture makes this camera quite compelling.

Regards,

Bob
Bob thanks for sharing your thoughts and your garden shots - beautiful.

I've been there done that with MF and all the associated paraphernalia - and am no longer interested in the exercise.
The XID has some interest for me because of its size - as I do often print large.

However the M cameras and their lenses and now the SL have allowed me to get rid of tens of thousands of dollars worth of dust collecting devices - hopefully now in the hands of people who will use the gear and derive joy from doing so.

Much as it surprises me - I think the M240P will be the last M series body I buy or own - the Sl mounts my favourite M lenses and the ergonomics of the EVF and body suit my shooting preferences better and its 1/8000th shutter speed means I can ditch the neutral density filters I had to use on my Noctilux and other lux lenses.

I will be moving from my farm to Sydney and the Manly Beach in the ner future so my subject matter will change considerably.

Cheers Pete

docmoore

Pete ...

Manly in Winter was gorgeous ... although the farm looked to be close to heaven. Are you making this a permanent move or just a seasonal change of venue. Will you move the
workshop and all the tools to Sydney? Ralfie should love chasing the gulls ...

Our time frame here is shortening ... I have stepped back from the practice of medicine and
we may follow our children when they finally finish their terminal degrees and settle ... Lucky them. :ROTFL:

I agree about the SL ... hoping they will give us something a bit more on the lines of the M with the EVF of the SL in the future.

The Q brought me back ... signs that Leica can execute ... now they just need to make it work across
the whole range of product.

Warm regards,

Bob

jonoslack

Peter

Bob
I've been there done that with MF and all the associated paraphernalia - and am no longer interested in the exercise.
The XID has some interest for me because of its size - as I do often print large.
Hi There Bob, Pete
Whenever I think of MF again (less often these days) I look at a 5ft print from the original monochrom which hangs on the office wall - you can stand right up to it and look at the tiny leaves. . . ..

. . . and each time we go to Cornwall, the house is decorated with photos I took back in 2004 with the Olympus E1 (5mp) lots of them are A2 sized, and once again, they're just fine.

For me the 24mp of the M240 / SL are just fine, even for pretty big prints (certainly A1 size and I don't usually print bigger than that!).

best
Jono

docmoore

Jono,

I found that I never liked the feeling of ultra large prints ... unless you own a bank lobby or have an interest in a gallery they are very
difficult to place in a home. At least in mine. Grand landscapes work for me in that size but smaller vistas not so much.

From my large format days ... very limited but I recall that the 5x7 print was one you could hold like a book and take in completely. It
allowed you to absorb the scale and scope of the picture without dividing the picture into blocks ... or place it across the room to do the
same. That intimacy has always appealed to me.

And you are correct that the 24MP is a good size for most non Herculean prints ... with a decent sensor 36 might add a bit of crop factor.

Midtone rendering and overall dynamic range is very good these days with decent glass ... and Leica has that issue covered.

For me the M-D is a no brainer as it has no processor lag ... other than my own.:bugeyes:

I imagine if I were to invest in another camera the SL or its next rendition will be high on the list. Just allow me to set things simply and
get out of the way while I shoot.

Bob

jonoslack

Jono,

I found that I never liked the feeling of ultra large prints ... unless you own a bank lobby or have an interest in a gallery they are very
difficult to place in a home. At least in mine. Grand landscapes work for me in that size but smaller vistas not so much.
Well, I quite agree - but even so, a well printed good quality 24mp file can be pretty big!

For me the M-D is a no brainer as it has no processor lag ... other than my own.:bugeyes:

I imagine if I were to invest in another camera the SL or its next rendition will be high on the list. Just allow me to set things simply and
get out of the way while I shoot.

Bob
I'd love to have an M-D, but not quite enough to trade in my M-P for one! (just sometimes it's good to check that you've got what you wanted).

I like having the SL too - but I mostly use it with the two zooms which work really well (but it's hardly lightweight!)

All the best
Jono

docmoore

The M-P was my other choice ... the brass top and bottom seem more like the classic cameras.

Guess I had better put a picture in ...

Regards,

Bob

docmoore

Just another take on color ...

Platinum ...

OK so it's not color but I still like it. Hope you concur.

Regards,

Bob

scott kirkpatrick

How about silver ....

[/CENTER]

Thanks,

Bob
Bob, that's quite a collection of WW II (and pre) warbirds you visit. I'm impressed by the care that results in such shiny aircraft and even a clean floor. Only the little biplane seems to have a drip pan under the engine. Is it a public collection? And do you ever get a nice clear shot of the carrier fighter (#54) with folded wings that is lurking behind biplane #214?

scott

Godfrey

Some stunning photos here lately!

Glad you're liking the M-D, Bob; it has become my favorite Leica M—film or digital. There's just something about using it that I find very compelling... And an M-D seems to complement the SL just right.

Hmm: Sydney and Manly Beach. I spent a bit of time staying in Manly Beach back in 2001 while doing a gig for work nearby. Wonderful place, and so full of photo opportunities! I could not tire of riding the ferry back and forth to Sydney from there, did it several dozen times in that short visit. I'd love to get back there again for another visit.

G

docmoore

Bob, that's quite a collection of WW II (and pre) warbirds you visit. I'm impressed by the care that results in such shiny aircraft and even a clean floor. Only the little biplane seems to have a drip pan under the engine. Is it a public collection? And do you ever get a nice clear shot of the carrier fighter (#54) with folded wings that is lurking behind biplane #214?

scott
Hi Scott,

They are part of the Cavanaugh Flight Museum at Addison Airport ... a close suburb of Dallas Texas.

Cavanaugh Flight Museum - Home

The planes are in tight and they have a number not on display as they are out of space .... so #54 I have a couple of quartering frontal shots but nothing in the clear. Massive plane ...

Most of the Stearman type planes I have seen are somewhat like older Harley motorcycles ... always a drip from the big radial engines.

And yes the place has a floor that one could have a picnic lunch on ... they take pride in detailing the planes to a great extent. Many of these are still airworthy and the do offer a number of
ride opportunities for the public.

I am out later this morning to a Vintage Air Museum in Ft Worth Texas ... more of a working hangar but they have some decent big aircraft ... little darker on the inside so I will be pushing the
ISO a bit more ... may be a good match for the setting.

This is the best I could do with #54

Regards,

Bob

Last edited:

scott kirkpatrick

Thanks for the link, and the shot of the business end of their TBM. That is an enormous plane, but they all seem pretty enormous. Their engines were big enough to be used on airliners after the war. The Cavanaugh collection sounds like it would be really worth while to stop in Dallas for longer than it takes to change planes someday... Have you seen the collection's Spitfire or their F9F jet? It looks like both of them are flown in shows, and pretty rare.

If you get back there, could you find out what that pipe sticking out on the left side of the cowling of the grey T-6 is doing? It seems to point forward into the airstream. I have a little bit of T-6 time. The exhaust didn't look like that, and was down low on the right side of the cowling, pointing aft.

scott

docmoore

Hi Scott,

I think that the confusion is that the grey plane with the pipe is a Vultee SNV-2 with a PW Wasp Junior ... a step up trainer from the Stearman
prior to transitioning to the AT-6. I assume it is an exhaust stack but will ask if I can find one of the volunteers when I am there next time.

The Vintage museum today was fairly empty ... they had transferred planes to an airshow so I came home with little.

This is a Douglass A25-B that is 6 years into a restoration ... they are finishing installation of the right engine ... which seized when they
were testing it in July.

Regards,

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.