The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun w/Digital M Images

Status
Not open for further replies.

Godfrey

I went to the movies this morning and the sky turned gray and soft by the time it was over. I had the M-D with me so I decided to take advantage...

Leica M-D typ 262 + Color Skopar 50mm f/2.5
ISO 800 @ f/5.6

Full set of eight photo: https://flic.kr/s/aHskNFcWiL

enjoy!
G

rayyan

pegelli, Lloyd, Godfrey..:salute:

Away from the din of traffic, the people, the rush.

A place to hear the birds and the stream. Talk with them in silence..

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Just a few pictures languishing in my album ... have not been out as we have a major remodel on out house
and I have been cleaning up after the workers ....

But looking forward to freedom in a week or two ...

Leica M-D 50 Noctilux 0.95

Thanks,

Bob

fotografz

Just a few pictures languishing in my album ... have not been out as we have a major remodel on
out house and I have been cleaning up after the workers ....

But looking forward to freedom in a week or two ...

Thanks,

Bob
Funny type-o Bob.

Cleaning up the out-house after the workers sounds messy at best:ROTFL:

- Marc

vieri

Sunrise at Manley Beacon

Zabriskie Point is one of Death Valley's most famous spots; here's Manley Beacon's ridge just after sunrise under a stormy sky.

With the Leica M-P (Typ 240) and the 35mm Summilux FLE. Best,

Vieri

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Nice shots there Bob - how do you like the Nocti so far?
Have to admit that I am struggling a bit with it ... sometimes the OOF areas seem way off ...
and I wonder if that is related to the relative planes of the object and the front element of
the lens ... perhaps a Scheimpflug effect that adds an element of distortion as it changes
the areas in and out of focus. Not sure that is the best explanation or description.

It seems best at closest and moderately far distances for me. The Summilux seems
to be an easier lens to use ... as its signature look is fairly consistent.

I have added a 1.4 magnifier and a variable density Heliopan filter as the sun here is
similar to the brightness you deal with in Australia ... the magnifier helps for critical focus
but I have to look around in the VF now so it is a mixed bag.

When it works the Noctilux renders a gorgeous image .... but I cannot see it as my only 50.
And I tend to shoot it a bit more at 2 to 5.6 than at 0.95. Ideally I will re acquire a 50 APO
as it is more akin to my personal taste.

I do think that the Nocti on the SL would be way easier to work with as the focus point
would be so quick to find. I may relent and pick up a Fuji XT-2 at some point ... magnified LV
and probably the best OOC 4K video short of the SL.

It is nice to have a challenge of learning the envelope of the lens ... always look forward to pulling
the pictures up in LR.

Regards,

Bob

rayyan

Most pointed in one direction.

One wanted me to take the other way.

I thought. Confused.

I went back the way I came.

rayyan

Lloyd, pegelli..thanks friends :salute:

This one is simple and straightforward...

oops..wrong image!! Direction signs confuse me!!

Another try...

PeterA

Have to admit that I am struggling a bit with it ... sometimes the OOF areas seem way off ...
and I wonder if that is related to the relative planes of the object and the front element of
the lens ... perhaps a Scheimpflug effect that adds an element of distortion as it changes
the areas in and out of focus. Not sure that is the best explanation or description.

It seems best at closest and moderately far distances for me. The Summilux seems
to be an easier lens to use ... as its signature look is fairly consistent.

I have added a 1.4 magnifier and a variable density Heliopan filter as the sun here is
similar to the brightness you deal with in Australia ... the magnifier helps for critical focus
but I have to look around in the VF now so it is a mixed bag.

When it works the Noctilux renders a gorgeous image .... but I cannot see it as my only 50.
And I tend to shoot it a bit more at 2 to 5.6 than at 0.95. Ideally I will re acquire a 50 APO
as it is more akin to my personal taste.

I do think that the Nocti on the SL would be way easier to work with as the focus point
would be so quick to find. I may relent and pick up a Fuji XT-2 at some point ... magnified LV
and probably the best OOC 4K video short of the SL.

It is nice to have a challenge of learning the envelope of the lens ... always look forward to pulling
the pictures up in LR.

Regards,

Bob
If you buy an SL - the M becomes a redundant nostalgic piece of (relatively) light weight fun - the SL + Nocti combination is magic. The SL plus M lenses combo is magic. The SL also allows one to pick and use the bestr Zeiss lenses available.
What doesn't the SL do? Well I bought a Fuji XT2 to use their 100-400 lens with a 1.4X converter for tele work - where the 90-280 doesn't have the reach.

As for the Nocti on an M body - you are looking at trying to use rangefinder accuracy at its limits of ability when shooting wide open or using lenses longer than 50mm - used wide open. The focus shift issues alone are not worth my time worrying about - since getting the SL I can ignore all those technical considerations and just shoot.

The light up here in Sydney is totally different to Melbourne. Brightness levels are through the roof and instead of looking for high contrast I have to make sure it doesn't bight me on the backside....!

Status
Not open for further replies.