The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica Storage

Hi all,

I'm looking for recommendations for a bad/container for my Leica gear when I'm not using it. I have an old Leica bag and the Billingham Leica M bag, but even combined they cannot fit all my gear. I'm thinking of something from Pelican but looking for better suggestions.

My current kit consists of:

M9
WATE
24/2.8
35/1.2 (Nok)
35/2.0
50/1.4
50/2.0
90/2.8
SF-24
Various filters, eyepieces

Thanks everyone!

Godfrey

I don't store my gear in a bag. I store it in a closet with shelving, inside plastic organizer drawers (I got mine at the Container Store) lined with movable dividers so bits don't bump into one another. There's plenty of airflow which defeats the growth of mold and fungus, but it keeps the dust out. Only thing to be careful of is to pick drawers made of plastics that don't outgas ... if you smell the drawers and detect a strong odor, that plastic is outgassing too much.

My bags sit empty of gear with all the little bits I normally will want (lens cleaning cloth and dust blower, notebook, pens, releases, etc) in place. Makes it easy to pick what gear I want, pick the appropriate size bag, drop the gear in and run.

That's an excellent idea. You touched on a point that is very important to me - I want my gear very accessible and putting it in a Pelican impacts the accessibility IMHO.

kalex

I keep my camera and lens in pelican style hard case. Its water proof, moisture proof and it keeps all the dust and other crap away :) Also with pluck able material u can customize it to fit your lenses and body.

zoomstop

250swb

I think Godfrey has hit the nail on the head, 'airflow'. Obviously not dusty air, but only keep cameras or lenses in bags that are at the very least kept unzipped. Best of all are drawers or shelves. Plenty of space to look at what you've got and where it is. It might also encourage you to use, or sell, things you are constantly looking at instead of having them hidden away in bags.

Steve

weinschela

Subscriber Member
Shelves in a closet for me with a silica gel dessicant sitting there too just to keep things dry. If the OP wants, I have room for his gear too. I will keep in safe except for when it just has to be used.

250swb

I do a similar thing to Godfrey. Three different bags all ready to go and pre-loaded with lens cloths etc, and then I take the appropriate body and lenses out of a desk drawer when I know where I am going.

Airflow is important, particularly in humid or wet countries, and I can't see a sealed bag/case as being a good idea.

Steve

Gary Clennan

Sealed bags is fine in a humid environment as long as you have dessicant in the bag and keep an eye on the humidity (hygrometer).

jonoslack

i use an old wooden wine crate :eek:

(it was a gorgeous Margaux)
That's the one - of course it had to be Margaux!

. . . . I have a glass fronted cupboard . . but they tend to be scattered around the dresser in the kitchen.