The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Tip for adjustment of RF lenses

esy0345

Adjusting the focusing lever of the RF with a 2mm hex wrench is well documented. However, when one has multiple lenses, some do not have the same calibration, and they need to be sent off with the camera to be adjusted. This results in loss of camera, trepidation about possible damage in shipping, return of lenses that are not aligned (reported across multiple forums), and cost. Of course, it is ONLY recommended that one do this rather than try to adjust at home. However, if one decides otherwise....
I have multiple newer ASPH lenses that are perfectly aligned, and some older lenses that are not aligned now that the M9 is adjusted for these lenses - an F1 Noctilux, a 75mm Lux, and a 90mm pre-asph. All were backfocusing. I have read that others describe applying a thin layer of copper to the lens cam. Application of a thin layer of black nail polish allowed all my lenses to be perfectly aligned with no cost other than the nail polish. :eek: It is completely reversible/removable with no damage to the lens, and I have not had any change in the focusing with use, as there is no significant wearing. I know some will not like this :angry: , but it is a simple solution that worked very well for me. :D:loco: Thoughts???

250swb

Thoughts???
Where does the nail polish go when it chips and wears off?

If anybody thinks they have dust problems now they will have chunks of it appearing on the sensor if you put a wearable fragile finish inside the body. Nail polish is NOT designed to stick to metal, it only has any integrity while it forms a complete sealed surface. As soon as it chips the catastrophe will begin.

Steve

Last edited:

AGeoJO

Unlike dust particles, tiny chips of nail polish may not stick on the sensor. But I still cringe on the idea of getting them inside the camera itself :(.

I saw a camera repair person with the proper tool adjust for backfocusing on a lens. He had several brass rings of various thicknesses readily available. He completed the actual adjustment in less than 5 minutes, more like 2-3 minutes actually. Of course, the test before and after took longer than that. The whole procedure was done in approximately 30 minutes, I would say.