The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

M9-P $7995

monza

010-703 Leica M9-P Black Paint $7,995.00

010-716 Leica M9-P Silver Chrome $7,995.00

• • • •
Display cover glass made of Sapphire Vulcanite leatherette with either a black paint top cover or a silver chrome top cover

Pure Leica look without Leica logo and M9 lettering on the front side Classical “Leica” engraving on the top cover

The new features of the Leica M9-P elevate the M9 further into the camera of choice as a professional tool. The new look of the Leica M9-P harks on Leica’s classic look of being unobtrusive in appearance without the Leica logo.

The display cover glass is made of Sapphire which is the second hardest material after diamond. As such the display cover is extremely scratch resistant and unbreakable. Leica is the only camera manufacturer that offers a sapphire glass as a camera display protection.

The vulcanite leatherette offers good resistivity and further provides a very good grip to the camera. The Leica M9-P is available with a silver chrome top cover or with a black paint top cover.

All other technical information on the Leica M9-P is similar to the Leica M9.

Scope of Delivery:
Camera, body cap, carrying strap, USB cable, Battery, Battery charger for 100-240 V with 2 power cords and charger adapter. Also included are the license code for download of Adboe Photoshop Lightroom, Instructions German/English and Warranty Card (Warranty period 2 years.).
The Leica M9-P will be available from July, 2011 in North America. Brochures for the Leica M9-P will be available in July.

AGeoJO

Anyone want a black M9? :p Price is more reasonable than expected!
:D :D

I didn't consider that until recently and indeed, I played with the idea of selling my "lowly and soon-to-be-outdated" M9 and upgrading to the M9-P. No, I don't expect that it would improve my images.... :D.

jonoslack

Well, I'm certainly considering it.
I don't think we expected anything more did we?
With the M8.2 there were things to fix, and they did their best, this time around there really isn't anything obvious to fix at all (at least, nothing which doesn't require a complete redesign which seemed really unlikely).

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Here is the Press release

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

THE NEW LEICA M9-P: THE ESSENCE OF DISCRETION
Designed particularly for professional photographers, new ultra-discreet version of the Leica M9 added to Leica rangefinder portfolio

Solms, Germany (June 21, 2011) - Leica Camera AG is proud to present a new version of the world’s smallest, full-frame digital system camera: the Leica M9-P. This new model will sit alongside the Leica M9 in the company’s rangefinder portfolio. Providing an alternative, even more discreet and resilient design that further reinforces the classic nature of the M9, the M9-P specifically meets the needs of professional photographers. The new model is now available in a classic silver chrome or subtle black paint finish.

Featuring the compact size, full-frame, 18 megapixel 24 x 36mm sensor (35mm format), sophisticated image processing and robust construction of the highly successful Leica M9, the M9-P also incorporates features designed for professional users or photographers who prefer a pure, even more unobtrusive styling.

The Leica M9-P includes a scratch-resistant, sapphire crystal covering on the LCD screen. Produced using special diamond cutting tools, this screen is fashioned from one of the world’s hardest and most resilient materials. Extremely resistant to wear and almost unbreakable, the sapphire glass LCD cover offers many years of reliable use. Additionally, the anti-reflective coating on both sides of the cover improves the review of images on the display after capture, particularly in unfavorable lighting conditions.

Finished in vulcanite leatherette, the external covering of the body of the M9-P is particularly resistant to wear. This leathering features a more coarsely-textured finish that ensures a steadier grip when shooting, making the M9-P feel particularly safe and secure in the hand.

Fulfilling the needs of many professional photographers to capture the decisive moment as discretely as possible, the Leica M9-P’s minimalist styling highlights its most essential features. The Leica red dot logo and the M9 lettering on the front have been omitted and replaced with the Leica name in classic script form engraved on the top plate, making the M9-P the quintessential unobtrusive tool.

Since 1954, the Leica M-System has represented an unmistakable, individual kind of photography and a very conscious photographic style and allowed photographers to capture, document and interpret life’s fleeting moments in all fields of photography, from photojournalism, reportage and ‘available light’ to the capture of portraits and aesthetic, fine-art images. With a Leica M, the photographer becomes a ‘part of the action’ when capturing challenging, authentic and creative images. The frame lines frame precisely the shot the photographer envisages, while allowing a clear view of the scene outside the viewfinder frame.

The functions of the Leica M are consistently constructed for extreme durability and a long working life. The highest quality materials, intricate manufacturing processes and meticulous manual assembly at Leica Camera’s facility in Germany guarantee functional reliability for years to come.

The Leica M9-P will be available from Leica dealers in two different finishes, black paint or traditional silver chrome, beginning July 2011.

LEICA M9-P: Technical Specifications

Camera type
Compact digital view and rangefinder system camera
Lens mount
Leica M bayonet with additional sensor for 6-bit coding
Lens system
Leica M lenses from 16 to135 mm
Image format /
image sensor
5270 × 3516 pixels (18.5 megapixels) CCD sensor, active area approx. 23.9 × 35.8mm / 5212 x 3472 pixels (18 megapixels) (corresponds to the effective image format of Leica M film cameras)
Image file formats
Adjustable, DNG™: 5212 × 3472 (18 MP)
JPEG: 5212 × 3472 (18 MP), 3840 × 2592 (10 MP), 2592 ×1728 (4.5 MP), 1728 ×1152 (2 MP), 1280 x 846 pixels (1 MP)
DNG™ (RAW data), choice of uncompressed or slightly compressed (by non-linear reduction of color depth), 2 JPEG compression levels
File sizes
DNG™: 18 MB (compressed) 36 MB (uncompressed)
JPEG: approx. 2 to10 MB (depending on image content)
Colour spaces
Adobe® RGB, sRGB
White balance
Automatic, manual, 7 presets, direct color temperature selection
Storage media
SD cards up to 2 GB / SDHC cards up to 32 GB
Menu languages
German, English, French, Spanish, Italian, Japanese, traditional Chinese, simplified Chinese, Russian
Compatibility
Windows® 7, Windows® XP/Vista®; Mac® OS X (10.6)
Exposure metering
Through-the-lens (TTL) metering, centre-weighted at working aperture.
Center-weighted TTL metering for flash exposure with system-compatible SCA-3000/2 standard flash units
Metering principle
Measured by light reflected by bright shutter blades on the first shutter curtain
Metering range (at ISO 160/23°)
At room temperature and normal humidity, equivalent to EV 0 to 20 or
f/1.0 and 1.2s to f/32 and 1/1000 s. Flashing left triangular LED in viewfinder indicates values below metering capability
Metering cell for available light
(continuous light measurement) Silicon photo diode with condensing lens, positioned in the bottom centre of camera base
Sensitivity range
ISO 160 /19° to ISO 2500/35°, adjustable in 1/3 ISO increments, with aperture priority A and manual exposure setting, choice of automatic control or manual setting, automatic control in snapshot profile
Exposure modes
Choice of automatic shutter speed control with manual aperture selection – aperture priority A – with corresponding digital display, or manual setting of shutter speed and aperture and adjustment using LED light balance with indication of correct exposure, or risk of over-exposure / camera shake (with snapshot profile only)
Flash unit connection
Via accessory shoe with centre and control contacts
Synchronization
Optional synchronization, on first or second shutter curtain
Flash synchronization speed
1/180 s; longer shutter speeds possible
Flash exposure metering
(With SCA-3501/3502 adapter or SCA-3000-standard flash unit, e.g. Leica SF 24D / Leica SF 58) Flash exposure control with centre-weighted TTL pre-flash metering
Flash metering cell
2 silicon photo diodes with condensing lens in camera base
Flash exposure compensation
±3 1/3 EV in 1/3 EV steps, adjustable on SCA-3501/3502 adapter
On Leica SF 24D, ±3 EV in 1/3 EV steps with computer control or from 0 to -3 EV in 1 EV steps
On Leica SF 58, adjustable in all modes ±3 EV in 1/3 EV steps
Displays in flash mode
Flash ready: flash symbol LED in the viewfinder constant
Correct flash exposure: LED constant or flashes rapidly after exposure
Under-exposure: LED extinguished after exposure
Viewfinder principle
Large, bright-line frame viewfinder with automatic parallax compensation
Eyepiece
Adjusted to -0.5 diopter Correction lenses for –3 to +3 diopter available
Image framing
By activating two bright-line frames: for 35 and 135mm, or for 28 and 90mm, or for 50 and 75mm. Automatic activation when lens is attached. Any pair of bright-line frames can be activated by using the image field selector
Parallax compensation
The horizontal and vertical difference between the viewfinder and the lens is automatically compensated in accordance with the relevant distance setting, i.e. the viewfinder bright-line automatically aligns with the subject detail recorded by the lens
Matching of viewfinder and actual picture
The size of the bright-line frame corresponds exactly to the sensor size of approx. 23.9 x 35.8mm at a setting distance of 1 meter. At infinity setting, depending on the focal length, approx. 7.3% (28mm) to 18% (135mm) more is recorded by the sensor than indicated by the corresponding bright-line frame and slightly less for distances shorter than 1 meter
Viewfinder magnification (for all lenses):
0.68×
Large base rangefinder
Split or super-imposed image rangefinder shown as bright field in the centre of the viewfinder image
Effective rangefinder base
47.1 mm (actual rangefinder base 69.25 mm × viewfinder enlargement 0.68×)
Viewfinder display
(Lower edge) LED symbol for flash status.
Four-digit, seven-segment digital display with dots above and below, display brightness adjusted for ambient light, for: Warning of exposure compensation, display for automatically generated shutter speeds in aperture priority mode, indication of use metering memory lock, warning that the metering or setting ranges are over- or under-exposed using aperture priority and counting down exposures longer than 2s

LED light balance with two triangular and one central, circular LED for manual exposure setting. The triangular LEDs give the direction of rotation of the aperture ring and shutter speed setting dial to adjust the exposure. Also as warning for over- or under-exposure
Displays on rear panel
2.5" monitor (color TFT-LCD) with 230,000 pixels. M9-P LCD with sapphire crystal
Shutter
Microprocessor-controlled, exceptionally low-noise, metal blade shutter with vertical movement
Shutter speeds
For aperture priority (A) continuously adjustable from 32s to 1/4000s. For manual setting 8s to 1/4000s in half steps, B for long exposures of any duration (in conjunction with self-timer function, i.e. 1st release = shutter opens, 2nd release = shutter closes, (1/180s) fastest shutter speed for flash synchronization
Shutter cocking
Using low-noise integral motor, optionally after releasing the shutter release button
Series exposures
Approx. 2 frames/s, ≥ 8 frames in series
Shutter release
Three levels: Exposure metering on – Metering memory lock (in aperture priority mode) – Shutter release
Integrated standard cable release thread
Self-timer
Delay optionally 2 (aperture priority and manual exposure setting) or 12s (menu setting), indicated by flashing LED on front of the camera and corresponding display on the monitor
Camera power on /
power off
Using the main switch on the camera’s top panel, selectable automatic power-off for camera electronics after approx. 2/5/10 minutes, reactivation by pressing the shutter release button
Power supply
1 Lithium-ion battery, nominal voltage 3.7 V, capacity 1900 mAh
Capacity display in monitor, when shutter held open (for sensor cleaning) additional acoustic warning when capacity is low
Battery charger
Inputs: 100–240 V AC, 50/60 Hz, automatic switching, or 12/24 V DC
Output: 4.2 V DC, 800 mA
Camera body material
All-metal die-cast magnesium body, KTL dip painted finish and synthetic leather covering. Top plate and base plate in brass.
M9: black or steel-grey paint finish
M9-P: black paint finish or silver chrome version, LCD with sapphire crystal
Image field selector
Allows the bright-line pairs to be manually displayed at any time (e.g. for framing comparisons)
Tripod thread
A 1/4 (1/4 “) DIN, stainless steel, integrated in base plate
Operating conditions
0 to +40°C
Interface
5-pin Mini-USB 2.0 high-speed socket for fast data transfer
Dimensions (W x D x H)
Approx. 139 × 37 × 80 mm (Approx. 5.47 x 1.45 x 3.15 in)
Weight
M9: 585g (Approx. 20.64 oz) (including battery)
M9-P: 600g (Approx: 21.16 oz) (including battery)
Accessories included
Battery charger 100–240 V with two mains cables (EU, USA, may differ for other markets), car charger, Lithium-ion battery, USB cable, carrying strap, body cap, instruction manual. Software: Adobe® Photoshop® Lightroom® 3 (downloadable - license code included)

AGeoJO

I didn't realize that Leica designed it more for professioanal photographers. Then, the "P" stands for "profi" (in German) or "professional". Duuh :D.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
so who is selling their M9 for 3000$ now :)
:D I'll return to the Leica fold at that price. It's only because my medium format gear keeps me in the poor house that I'm not still shooting Leica.

As regards the M9-P - personally I love it. It's a shame that it's the M9 that they should have produced from day one though. I'm tempted ... very very tempted ... real chrome & LCD protection were the only two things I lamented losing between the M8.2 and M9. Not bothered by the disappearing dot but why not have an MP like differentiator? Fine by me.

Vlad

Well, let's see. Same ISO performance, same rubbish (altho better protected) LCD on the rear. No weather proofing. No red dot. El. Oh. El. Pretty massive premium. No thanks. I'll wait for the M10 and shoot with the MP in the meanwhile.

The new 21 Super Elmar however, very interesting indeed.

Shashin

I just saw the image of the camera. It looks like a fat X100 with no flash. I guess the red dot does do something.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Nah... I think I'll wait for the Batman edition of the Pentax K-5. That will probably include a Batman keyring and a complimentary ticket for the next Batman movie with Batman 3D glasses :watch:

Edit: I forgot the invisible paint. The latest rumour is that the Pentax will include a bucket of invisible paint for those assignments when you need to be a bit discreet. It will wear out in 3.5 hours though. That's when you'll need to make an escape on the Batdonkey that comes as an extra for only $99.98 :deadhorse:

Edit 2: This just came in. For an extra $29.99, you can have the pink Pentax logo removed from the donkey's forehead and hand painted onto the backside of one of its front teeth instead. How is that for a stealthy appearance?

Last edited:

ashwinrao1

Nice lookin' for sure...chrome would be my preference, but gosh, I am quite happy with the M9, and if it takes the same images, I think I am staying put rather than spending about 2K for a cosmetic upgrade...

I'll be saving my nickels and dimes for an M10 2 years from nowish...

iiiNelson

Tempting but I was hoping for at least an upgrade to a 460,000 pixel (if not 920,000 pixel) display. Really about the only that frustrates me about using the M9. Giotto protects petty well for $20 or so. Love the look of the M9-P though.

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
If I were in the market I'd pick it over a new M9. But I'd probably pick a used M9 over an M9-P. Who cares about the screen or its glass? That's not part of the image path. I'd rather have them focus on a more precise shutter release and a PC sync socket.

iiiNelson

I think people care about the screen resolution to check focus at times in the field and to preview the capture. No good reason for the M9 (or any pro-spec level camera) to have that low of screen resolution. My D-Lux 4 that was 1/10 the price has a larger and better screen and I think that's what bothers some people about the screen.