The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Anyone experience this on their photographs?

seakayaker

Wondering if anyone has experience this problem? Is this the dreaded Leica Sensor problem?

Comments are appreciated.

Thanks, Dan

AGeoJO

This is an intermittent issue, correct? It could have something to do with the SD card you use. Try using another SD card and see whether this issue materializes on that different card. I hope that it is just a matter of a corrupted SD card.

seakayaker

Doesn't look good (sorry)! Do you see it on the LCD of the camera as well?
This is an intermittent issue, correct? It could have something to do with the SD card you use. Try using another SD card and see whether this issue materializes on that different card. I hope that it is just a matter of a corrupted SD card.
Thank you Mike and Joshua for your responses.

Mike I have my setting not to auto review after taking a shot and the times I have looked I have not noticed it. I will have to check that out.

Joshua, it is an intermittent issue and thanks for pointing out the SD card. I am going to do a internet search because that problem does sound familiar. Time to put in a new formatted SD card and see if that resolves the issue. I hope so since it will be much less expensive then having to send it in for repair!

Last edited:

edmund

Yes, Ive had something similar (a grey bar) on some photos before. It usually occurred when I used a cheaper SD card. Once, the card went completely corrupt after a wedding and I had to send it in for recovery. In any case, Ive stuck with the Sandisk Extremes and it has only happened on 1-2 photos and no corrupt cards. Which card were you using?

250swb

Is this the dreaded Leica Sensor problem?
You don't say which Leica you are using, so I will assume it is the M9.

I think there has only been one significant 'Leica sensor problem' where a very few early M9 cameras developed a crack in the corner of the sensor. There has been the odd faulty sensor, but the vast majority of problems have been caused by the M9's low tolerance of poor SD cards, or even people not keeping a good card healthy (like using it in different cameras without reformatting it etc). While a cheaper card can work perfectly in other cameras something about the M9 doesn't like them. But your images fall into the 'card' category as far as I can tell. Do a belt and braces job, new card, format, new firmware if not done already, reset camera defaults, format again, and good luck.

I use SanDisk Extreme cards and they have worked perfectly.

Steve

David K

Workshop Member
Looks like an SD card issue to me based on my experiences. Have you had any difficulty in uploading images to your computer? Any RAW images that are completely black? I've had SD card issues when shooting with a less than fully charged battery and also when I've bumped into the buffer from shooting way too fast for the camera.

D&A

Dan,

As everyone here pointed out, it appears to be a SD card issue. About a year ago I was helping an aquantence who was shooting with the M9 and every so often would get frames that had both bars like yours as well as parts of the frame "corrupt". he immediately purchased some other class 6 SDHC cards and the issue went away perminantly.

What card were you using at the time this happened? Of course even the most well known and reliable cards can get a dud or one that goes bad, once in a while.

Let us know what happens with different cards and hope that's all it is.

Dave (D&A)

seakayaker

Thanks everyone for your responses! The forum rocks with so many folks stepping up with responses.

The camera in question is a M8.2 and the the SD Card was a Sandisk. It is a intermittent problem and one other piece of the puzzle is that an older battery from an M8 was in use at the time.

Will use only the M8.2 battery fully charged with a formatted Sandisk SD card and look for the problem to occur again.

I will update the thread when I have some information.

Hopefully it will be a week or so from now reporting no problems!

Once again, thanks everyone for your responses.

Double Negative

Not Available
I'm going to have to go with SD card also; certainly not the sensor as the defect changes size, location and color, etc. Perhaps try a low-level format and see if any bad areas are detected, and also try a different SD card altogether.

D&A

One other interesting tidbit. Unlike a M8/M8.2, An aqauntence and I while testing out some cards on his M9 found that some Sandisk class 4 SDHC (slower cards) caused these exact type of anomolies...yet the same card in an M8/M8.2 did not. There was nothing inherently wrong with those Sandisk class 4 cards except for whatever reason, the M9 processing engine didn't mesh well with them.

Dave (D&A)