The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Opinion on CV and/or Zeiss M lenses requested pls

dude163

Hi all

Im looking to grab a wider angled lens for some summer vacation trips I'll be taking ( Prince Edward Island , and then Gros Morne national park in Newfoundland)

I have contacted some members already and they suggest that a good pair of lenses for me to look at are:

CV 28 mm f/3.5, or the the Zeiss 25 mm f/2.8 Biogon

does anyone else have anything to suggest of offer for advice?

I would love to grab a Leica lens, but so far I havent spent that much on lenses and have some decent gear already ( 1964 cron 50, 1958 elmar 90 and a 1974 Elmarit 135)

I know trying to do the "leica experience" on a budget is almost impossible , but Ill try my best! my fallback is my Super MC takumar 28/3.5 on my Pentax KX, but using that setup after the M8 and lenses it feels like going from a Porsche 959 to a honda civic

thanks in advance everyone

Robert

ashwinrao1

Hi Robert,
Just sent you a PM via Flickr...with a few other suggestions. I think that given price factor, my prior suggestions will take you far...look hard and long at that Zeiss 25. It's amazing on the M8...

Here's a sample from that lens (25 biogon wide open, on the M8):

thrice

The 25mm ZM is ridiculous :) I have a mint one for sale. I'm only selling because I am forced to simplify my kit and I use the 18mm more.

ashwinrao1

Daniel, those are AMAZING.

As for the 28 elmarit pre-asph, Robert, you should look for the last pre-aspherical design, with a 46 mm filter thread....

While this is not art, especially considering Dan's marvelous work, it gives you an idea of what the lens is capable of...a lovely elmarit look...

Seascape

The VC 28 3.5 is a surprisingly good lens, extremely compact, so a great street shooter on a M8.

Mine has not been coded, and would be a good idea as the corners show some light fall off.

MPK2010

The ZM 25 is a phenomenal lens. Great color, extremely sharp, and an emphatic but not over-the-top rendering style. My most-used non-Leica lens.

Last edited:

seakayaker

If you can swing the 25/2.8 from Daniel, I would not hesitate, a wonderful lens . . . . .

If it is a bit out of reach then I would also suggest the VC 28/1.9.

I love this lens.

iiiNelson

+1 on the ZM 25/2.8.

I also love the 50/2 Planar if you're looking for a modern normal lens.

I've seen some really good results with the ZM 21/2.8 if you want something a bit wider. I owned the CV 28/2 and if you get a good copy it's a capable faster lens with a semi classical signature. I really liked it for black and white photos but I kinda "hate" 28mm focal lengths for what I do. It was either not quite wide enough or not quite close enough for me. WhenI wanted wide I needed wide (18-25mm) and when I wanted the narrow side of wide 35mm worked for me.

With that said I should update my signature.

Godfrey

I've seen exquisite work with both the Zeiss and CV lenses. I'm going for the pair of Ultron 28/2 and Skopar 50/2.5 for the Ricoh GXR + A12 M-lens module (due in a month or two) based on what I've seen of their rendering qualities and sharpness, as well as price. Although I'm Tempted by the 28/3.5 due to the size and weight ... But I think the speed wins for me in this focal length.

If/when I go for M8 or M9, I'll add a 75mm but which one I am not sure of yet.

Double Negative

Not Available
You'd be hard-pressed to find a better lens than the 2,8/25 Biogon ZM - even Zeiss is proud of this one, and justifiably so. Distortion and flare free, stupid sharp, lovely in every measurable aspect. I love mine to death. Bar-none, it was my favorite lens on the M8. Worked very well with the VF too.

dude163

Ill have to see what my birthday brings next week, I was trying to get assigned a different job at work and was denied, so my *present* to myself may have to wait.

iiiNelson

I've seen exquisite work with both the Zeiss and CV lenses. I'm going for the pair of Ultron 28/2 and Skopar 50/2.5 for the Ricoh GXR + A12 M-lens module (due in a month or two) based on what I've seen of their rendering qualities and sharpness, as well as price. Although I'm Tempted by the 28/3.5 due to the size and weight ... But I think the speed wins for me in this focal length.

If/when I go for M8 or M9, I'll add a 75mm but which one I am not sure of yet.
I don't know that it will matter with the GXR but if you do go 28/2 Ultron be sure you check that you got a great copy of it as I hear there are some that can exhibit slight focus shift. I had a great copy that wasn't noticibly affected (that I sold because 28 wasn't for me on FF cameras.) Just letting you know to make sure that yours doesn't exhibit potential focus shift.

I was told the 28/1.9 doesn't have this problem and is slightly better at flare reduction but I have no experience with this personally to verify. Oh and the 75/2.5 Color Skopar is supposed to be a "steal" in a M compatible lens no matter the cost.

trisberg

I've tried two of the Ultron 28mm and both had focus shift as the lens was stopped down. I think they all have it and depending on focus calibration you might not always notice it as much. However, if you are focusing with live-view at the shooting aperture then you'll automatically compensate for any focus shift.

-Thomas