The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

finger tabbed focus on 50mm summilux asph

gooomz

just started shooting with the 50mm lux asph and i must say i am not liking the tabbed focus ring.

is this the general consensus on the leica tabbed focus ring or is it something that grows on you?

akiralx

I prefer them, and dislike lenses without tabs (apart from the 75/90 Summarits but they have nice wide rubberized rings). I wish my 50 Summicron had a tab!

Godfrey

Give it time. "Just started shooting with..." means you're still in the learning phase. A tabbed focusing ring would seem awkward as heck on SLR cameras but becomes perfectly natural on the Leica RFs very quickly.

Double Negative

Not Available
Depends on what and how you shoot, really. For street or just fast shooting, the tab is hard to beat. With one finger, even sight unseen (by knowing the tab position) you can quickly attain focus.

It's a bit of a departure than what most are used to, no doubt. But it'll probably grow on you.

weinschela

Subscriber Member
If you keep the tab pointing straight down, you can quickly get to the right focus point. Alternatively keep it at infinity and always know which way to turn. I miss it on the lenses I have that don't have it.