The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica Noctilux 0.95 Unplugged

leicashot

I have had many requests for pictures taken with this lens and many I could not release until now. All of these were shot at 0.95 wide open, and un-cropped. Slight processing with some skin smoothening in some images, and all shot with the Leica M9.

I have so many more images I'd love to share but cannot as they're only for work purposes and not approved for showing, so i hope you'll be happy with these. Many of these were taken during the making of a Leica M9/noct video that never saw the light of day, and unfortunately never will:cry:

I was using the Noct in many professional and personal applications and it has been my equally most (with VC Nokton 35/1.2) enjoyable lens to shoot, in daylight or nighttime. The most challenging thing about using this lens is to use it appropriately. While many would think it would be the focus, which is challenging (especially without the 1.4x magnifier) it is most difficult to control what applications in which you use the 0.95 aperture.

What I mean is that it is all too easy to point this lens at any subject and try to make the bokeh the center feature, trying to turn a boring picture into something artistic. I see all too many images posted in the net attempting this style of photography and it really is a waste of time and money. For that kind of application I'd recommend the f/1 version due to the un-corrected optical formula of the lens. One thing I must add is that you're not always going to nail focus where you want it so sometimes you need to look past that in the final result and accept a good picture for being good, with a slight mis-focus, or you'll be deleting too many images. My hit rate went from 60% to 95% once I calibrated my M9 and added a 1.4x magnifier.

I don't want to turn this into a review because I'm not a reviewer, so without any further waiting, here are my pictures- hope they help many of you understand the nature of this amazing lens...

FLICKR Gallery here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/52028515@N05/sets/72157627144348652/

Last edited:
N

normanchoi

MAGICAL images Kristian!

I was so looking forward to your video and website and it's a bummer it didn't work out. Nonetheless, the images you have shown are some of the best 0.95 I have seen anywhere. Very well done!

David K

Workshop Member
Some really inspirational shots here... truly superb work. Your comment about selecting a good image even when focus is not precise resonates with me. It's good to have that confirmed by someone who clearly knows his way around this lens. Thanks for sharing these...

D&A

It wouldn't be enough in my opinion to simply repeat what everyone has already said (and it's certainly well deserve) but your images reflect your incredible innate ability to know this lens's unique traits and exploit it to full advantage. It's also not the only optic I've seen you do this with and maybe there's an important message in this. Namely take the time to understand the imagery that any given lens is capable of, and use it in a way that plays to it's strengths and minimizes it's weaknesses. Not so much to show off the optical signature so that it becomes the main attribute of an image, but like a delectable sauce in a gourmet dish, it complements and facilitates the main subject, not overpowers it to become the primary focus. Even something as simple as knowing what an image will look like under a wide variety of conditions or at each f-stop, goes a long way to knowing how to use a lens to ones greatest advantage. I've seen others have the same abilities and creativity with certain lenses (or even most any optic they use) and it's a wonderful "gift" and talent they have. Conversely, there are others who have this ability, not so much with a given lens, but with certain subjects or a type of imagery, such as exclusively portraits or landscapes. Two different types of creativity but neverless both important elements to a successful picture.

In my opinion, Kristian's posted examples with the 0.95 Noct demonstraits this in an illustrious way, so that if he didn't mention anything about which lens was used, I suspect with even Leica users, attention is prominently given to the shear joy of looking at and examining his images, rather than the usual thinking to ones self, that these were taken with Noct. Simply put, lovely and well done and thanks for posting.

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

DavidE

A big +1 to what Dave just said.

Just heaping on superlatives really wouldn't do justice to these incredible photos. I'm especially struck by the range of these images. I had no idea the Noctilux 0.95 was this capable over such a broad sweep of styles and content. Clearly, it isn't just the lens. Kristian, you have delved deeper into what makes this lens tick than anyone else I'm aware of.

W

WilmerG

Fantastic images, thanks for sharing! You are a true professional and a master of your equipment.

The cemetery ones are my favorite.

simonclivehughes

I think many of these stunning pictures also demonstrate how a good model adds to the image.

I love the look achievable with ultra-fast glass, especially this lens!

Ciao,

leicashot

Thanks everyone, sorry for the delay. been a hectic day. I'm glad everyone enjoyed the images but more importantly I hope you all learned something from them, about the lens and work. i'm open to questions if anyone has any.

jonoslack

Thanks Kristian - I really enjoyed those.
Fine shots, and some of the models are rather grand as well.
Excellent.