The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica Noctilux 0.95 Unplugged

leicashot

Just don't expect the Nokton to beat the Summilux. Technically the Summilux is the better corrected lens and has better handling due to its smaller size and focus tab.

...but I'm still confident you'll see what I see in the lens and enjoy it regardless of its size and weight. Good luck Ashwin, and be sure to show us some results soon. Maybe start a Nokton thread?

Peter Klein

Hey Ashwin! Welcome (again) to the VC 35/1.2 club. I have a black one, which I don't use as often as my 35/1.4 ASPH v.1 due to size and weight. But I really should use the Nokton more. Whenever I shoot it, I really like the quality--it probably has the best balance of modern vs. classical look of any lens I've ever used. Maybe it's time to do some wrist curls so the weight won't bother me :ROTFL:

Leicashot, thanks for reinforcing what a nice lens the 35/1.2 is. As well as the beautiful work with the 50/0.95, which is making me lust after something I'm never going to have. :cry:

--Peter

ashwinrao1

Great idea, Kristian. I'll get one started once I have a few pics with it from my M9....

Peter, thanks, my friend....you can use the Noct f/0.95 when we hang out and do some photography in the near future....

D&A

As Peter has said, the VC 35mm f1.2, has one of the nicest balances of modern and classic and that is one of it's special qualities. As I mentioned previously, depending if the light is of high or moderately-low contrast, the look at f1.2 & f1.4, can often take on quite different characteristics...almost appearing to be two quite different lenses.

The one area which would strengthen it's performance, in my opinion, especially against the Leica 35mm Lux asph ver. I, is where the lens places the subject within the depth of field at the wider apertures. Whereas the Leica tends to place the subject at the rear of the depth of the depth of field, so that the OOF area starts right behind the subject and therefore gives rise to a lovely soft bokeh, the VC 35 f1.2, generally places the subject more towards the middle or front of the depth of field. Therefore the area just behind the subject is also within the depth of field and the OOF area doesn't become quite as diffused or suddenly drop off like the Leica. I've noticed this is a tendency of many fast VC lenses like their 50mm f1.1 and if VC changed this aspect, I think some of their lenses would benefit greatly. Still the bokeh of the VC 35mm f1.2 is one of the nicest within VC stable of lenses.

Dave (D&A)

panda81

may i share my favorite photo from the 0.95 noctilux here? :)

btw, very inspiring photos kristian!! i'm a huge fan of your work!!

ashwinrao1

Ah heck, I'm in the mood to share a few of my favs with the Noctilux...Next up, Nokton 35 mm f/1.2 thread.... The processing is a bit of hodgepodge, but too much fun here not to share

leicashot

Wow, well for me the first shot really emphasizes the Noct 0.95's ability to isolate but yet keep everything else looking undistorted in out of focus, if that makes any sense!?

Nice work and I encourage others to help make this the best Noctilux 0.95 thread around ;)

ashwinrao1

Exactly what I was thinking, Kristian....your shots are some of the best that I have ever seen. And there are plenty of 0.95 magicians hanging around these parts.

A warm welcome back to our buddy Jerry, by the way!

D&A

Wow, well for me the first shot really emphasizes the Noct 0.95's ability to isolate but yet keep everything else looking undistorted in out of focus, if that makes any sense!?

Nice work and I encourage others to help make this the best Noctilux 0.95 thread around ;)
I would help Krisyain but....first I have to find a 0.95 Noct to purchase or trade for. Anyone want to help out? :)

Ashwin, You've posted a very inspiring and diverse set of images from the 0.95 Noct...and extremely effective use of it! They are images I keep coming back to, much like Kristian's. Yours and Kristians images in somewhat different ways, clearly delineate the unique characteristics and advantages to using such a lens.

Dave (D&A)

jonoslack

Yes Ashwin - great shots all of them, and very indicative of the possibilities.

If this is going to be the Noctilux thread, I thought that, rather than reposting the shots from the other thread, I should make a link to a small web page I put up with some noctilux shots:

Mystery and Imagination with the 0.95 Noctilux

Enjoy!

all the best

David K

Workshop Member
Magical lens plus talent equals wonderful photos... this thread establishes that beyond a doubt. Jono, you inspired me to take the Noct for a walk in the woods yesterday (it was 100 degrees and humid). Didn't get much in the way of winners but I did learn a few things and I lost a few pounds :)

panda81

Exactly what I was thinking, Kristian....your shots are some of the best that I have ever seen. And there are plenty of 0.95 magicians hanging around these parts.

A warm welcome back to our buddy Jerry, by the way!
Thanks Ashwin!

I've been MIA because I've been in overdrive to finish school, on top of trying to be a good husband and daddy. Needless to say, it's nuts!

Awesome to see your Noct photos again, always beautiful work!

gazwas

Just stumbled across this thread while casually looking at the M system. I've always wanted an M camera ever since I very nearly purchased the M6 quite a few years ago (early 1990's :eek:).

I must say the Noctilux is one unusual lens. The OOF areas in some of the pictures posted here look very strange but equally beautiful. It reminds me of the distortion and focus fall off of a tilt lens but with a vertical (as apposted to diagonal) plane of focus.

The OOF areas seem to have a glow about them..... Weird! Is that down to processing/sharpening or is it a trait of this lens?

I love it. :D

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
Here are a few of mine with the f0.95.

The Noctilux is very much a dream maker ... allowing for an endless amount of creative interpretations on how you want to capture an image, a scene or a moment.

jonoslack

Kurt - I also like the tree shot . . . but I also like the one of the kids in the water.

Here's one from today which I like - patience personified in the face of a persistant puppy: