The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica Noctilux 0.95 Unplugged

CharlesK

Kristian, although, I don' t have the 50 Nocti, and I can only lust after!!! I have the 50 Lux Asph, 75 Lux and 90 Cron AA, very well calibrated, and no problems nailing focus 90 to 95% of the time with the correct dioptor. I do have the 1.4x magnifier, and I have tried many times, for all the lenses, but for me it make focusing a lot more difficult IMHO. :)

leicashot

Kristian, although, I don' t have the 50 Nocti, and I can only lust after!!! I have the 50 Lux Asph, 75 Lux and 90 Cron AA, very well calibrated, and no problems nailing focus 90 to 95% of the time with the correct dioptor. I do have the 1.4x magnifier, and I have tried many times, for all the lenses, but for me it make focusing a lot more difficult IMHO. :)
Not that I'm disagreeing, but 'how exactly' is it more difficult? frame lines blurred, too close?

CharlesK

Kristian, Kurt, Matt, Jono and Ashwin ... wow stunning shots:)
Ashwin, magically shots!!!

Not that I'm disagreeing, but 'how exactly' is it more difficult? frame lines blurred, too close?
I do think some find the 1.4 magnifier works really well, but in my case the dioptor needs to be first attached to the 1.4x magnifier, and then the frame lines are not clear, as I wear multi focals.:)

jonoslack

Oh Kristian - I really disagree about the 1.4x magnifier - I found that it made matters worse. I'm getting a good hit rate new without - I'd say that the real truth is PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE.

GOOD LUCK with the new company.
I'm confused. How could it make matters worse? it fills the frame more and the focus spot is enlarged. Is there something else I'm missing? :confused:
Because all the magnifiers reduce the contrast in the rangefinder, and it's not the size of the patch that matters, but the quality of the patch - added to which, if you start changing the angle of view of the rangefinder for different lenses, then you need to keep 'relearning' your instinct with respect to focus confirmation.

Of course, that's only my feeling, but I've tried 0.25 and 0.4 magnifiers and neither seem to improve my hit rate.

leicashot

Because all the magnifiers reduce the contrast in the rangefinder, and it's not the size of the patch that matters, but the quality of the patch - added to which, if you start changing the angle of view of the rangefinder for different lenses, then you need to keep 'relearning' your instinct with respect to focus confirmation.

Of course, that's only my feeling, but I've tried 0.25 and 0.4 magnifiers and neither seem to improve my hit rate.
OIC, I can see how that could be a problem. Luckily it works for me but I'd be $300 richer if it didn't ;)

edftwin

Here are a few of mine with the f0.95.

The Noctilux is very much a dream maker ... allowing for an endless amount of creative interpretations on how you want to capture an image, a scene or a moment.

Fantastic shots ! I love the first picture very much, incredible moment you have got there ! The smooth bokeh is just so amazing ! But it would cost me a kidney to afford one of these beasts :p

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
Cool images Ashwin and Matt.

Matt, the filter and the lens provide a distinctive look that just so interesting to my eyes. Keep shooting!

leicashot

The only problem with starting this thread is that I have to keep seeing all there sweet Noct pics and I no longer own the lens :-(

Keep it up guys, nice stuff

Paratom

The only problem with starting this thread is that I have to keep seeing all there sweet Noct pics and I no longer own the lens :-(

Keep it up guys, nice stuff
I agree,
I happily decided I dont need a Nocti some time ago and now you guys post all those images....

jonoslack

Eat your heart out Tom (I have no sympathy).

Here are a couple of shots of enjoying the black stuff at Cambridge folk festival - both with an ND filter and shot wide open:

ashwinrao1

Jono, the second one is classic....the expression is spot on...taking in the beer on a sunny day = bliss for this guy...