The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Mystery and Imagination - Nature with the Noctilux

David K

Workshop Member
I'm not yet where I'd like to be with shooting the Noct... but I think it's worth the effort to try and improve. A couple from a recent walk...

leicashot

I'm not yet where I'd like to be with shooting the Noct... but I think it's worth the effort to try and improve. A couple from a recent walk...
That's true David. You invested heavily in the lens and therfore your photography with it deserves the same amount of investment, or invested time. Just have fun while doing it, regardless of the results.

jonoslack

Lots of rain today - and some sparkling light afterwards.
Here are a few shots from a garden we went to today.

all the best

Knorp

Love the poppy heads shot, Jono.
However, I'd have tried also aiming for the 'second row' ...

All the very best.

jonoslack

Love the poppy heads shot, Jono.
However, I'd have tried also aiming for the 'second row' ...

All the very best.
Hi Bart - you could certainly be right - I was undecided, so I went for the nearest.

These decisions you have to make with the Noct which aren't relevant for other lenses!:)

jonoslack

Jono: I like this last one. I keep trying for a shot like this. Getting the right focus points and enough IF to draw the eye's a trick. :thumbup:

Cheers, Matt
Thank you Matt . . . and welcome to the thread too. I think that Bart's point with the poppies related to the same thing - and that I've been better to focus on the second row.
Here I was moving around trying to get the branch of leaves more into a single plane so that more was in focus.

all the best

jonoslack

Oh! I got so wet today - you can see what was coming here;

the first sign of catastrophe was the Polish ponies galloping for the trees - then came the hail and rain - okay if you're togged up in waterproofs and wellies . . not so good in walking boots and shorts!
Here are a couple more

johnnygoesdigital

Jonathan,

You must also be a writer..."quite and secret", very descriptive of the deep woods this time of year. It would make a great title too. Thanks for the great photographs. Here's my contribution to "quite and secret", taken with the M9 and 35mm "cron"

Last edited:

zombii

Beautiful work Jono. I like the swan (or duck?) and the butterfly shots the best. I've done some shooting with the Noct and ND8 before and it's not easy to get so many good images.

m_driscoll

Thank you Matt . . . and welcome to the thread too. I think that Bart's point with the poppies related to the same thing - and that I've been better to focus on the second row.
Here I was moving around trying to get the branch of leaves more into a single plane so that more was in focus.

all the best
Maybe the first two are part of the same issue, and I don't like them as much as this one - which is lovely - with the mysterious yellow blob in the background - excellent.
Jono: Thanks! It's a car driving towards me.

I think my first two photos are even more problematic. I like the color and light in the photos, but my point of focus isn't discernible enough to contribute to a visual "understanding" of the image.

Moving the focus to the second row in your image creates a OOF/IF/OOF relationship that is easier to see because the second row is visually more dominant. In my images there's OOF/can't find the IF/more OOF.

Maybe, I'm suggesting that every photo needs a "subject"? Especially shooting wide open with a narrow band of IF.

Cheers, Matt

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

m_driscoll

Oh! I got so wet today - you can see what was coming here;

the first sign of catastrophe was the Polish ponies galloping for the trees - then came the hail and rain - okay if you're togged up in waterproofs and wellies . . not so good in walking boots and shorts!
Here are a couple more

Jono: These are lovely. Beautiful sky in the first. I'm always partial to Hollyhocks. :thumbup:

Cheers, Matt

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

jonoslack

Nothing like a good hollyhock - thanks for the kind words Matt and Kristian! Johnny, your 35 'cron shots are lovely.

I've got lots more, but here's one from this morning that I liked . . . .

joed

The swan is charming in its delicate setting.
And in the second set the brilliant poppies
with yellow echoes in the distance are delightful.
Thanks for sharing your fun and imagination.

jonoslack

The swan is charming in its delicate setting.
And in the second set the brilliant poppies
with yellow echoes in the distance are delightful.
Thanks for sharing your fun and imagination.
Thank you Joed - It's becoming an obsession!

here are some more from today: