The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica Rumors

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
No I don t mean the website but have you heard any good ones lately.

I read about the possibility of a 50 summicron asph after the Paris Magnum Event and now I see the website Leicarumors is showing more smoke around it.

Leica has redone the 18,21,24 elmarits ,the 21/24/35summiluxes and the 50NOCT since the M8 was introduced whats next ?

The 28/90 summicrons are so exceptional they can only be improved on the margin. Same for the 50lux and 75 cron.

Maybe the 75 Lux which is what a 30 year old design and discontinued ?

My first choice would be a 28/1.4 lux . But this has been asked for and always the question about why for one stop ? YES YES :D

Godfrey

Here's a rumor I heard:

One day sale at 60% off on all Leica lenses scheduled for the beginning of Q2 2012.

leicashot

While people talk about a 28mm Lux, the 28mm is not a very popular lens, compared to the other focal ranges, and if sales for the Cron aren't high, I suspect there's no real reason to upgrade it. The Cron is one of the only lenses on the used market that sells for below retail. Most others, except the Summarits sell for above retail.

kevin2i

No I don t mean the website but have you heard any good ones lately.

. . .
Leica has redone the 18,21,24 elmarits ,the 21/24/35summiluxes and the 50NOCT since the M8 was introduced whats next ?
Hopefully they stop designing lenses and actually build some for a while.

Inventories are bare everywhere (on almost everything), and the prices on ebay are worse than :poke:

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Prior to the newer uber expensive 21/24 summiluxes ..the 28/2 was king of the hill . The line up when the m8 was introduced was 21/24 2.8 ,28/2 ,then the 35/2 and 1.4. Its a pretty great lens all around and my favorite FOV for street shooting. But its readily available used and at $3995 list seems expensive . But speed obviously sells as proven by the 21/24 luxes at $6500.

Right now leica doesnt appear to be shipping much of anything to NA..but i still believe they will introduce a few more M lenses over the next year and certainly by photokina in 2012. None of the Summicrons have been updated 28/35/50/90 only a new 75.

But i was really fishing for rumors like the 50/2asph .

While people talk about a 28mm Lux, the 28mm is not a very popular lens, compared to the other focal ranges, and if sales for the Cron aren't high, I suspect there's no real reason to upgrade it. The Cron is one of the only lenses on the used market that sells for below retail. Most others, except the Summarits sell for above retail.

wattsy

From a marketing perspective, a 50/F2 ASPH does seem like an obvious lens to introduce. There were rumours (last year?) about a version 2 of the 90/F2 ASPH (presumably with FLE) but nothing seems to have come of that.

Personally, I don't think a 28 Summilux will see the light of day now that Leica have transitioned the digital M over to full frame. It probably would have been a different story had Leica become stuck with a 1.3x crop sensor.

thrice

A 28 lux suits those of us that shoot venues, getting the wide perspective and getting close to your subjects while still having sufficient light for backgrounds would be nice :)
This sort of stuff:

I suppose just as easily done with the 21/24 luxes but both so pricey and big!

m_driscoll

A 28 lux suits those of us that shoot venues, getting the wide perspective and getting close to your subjects while still having sufficient light for backgrounds would be nice :)
This sort of stuff:

A 28 Lux would probably become my favorite lens (if, I could ever get one :rolleyes:).
Daniel - great photo!

Cheers, Matt

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Leica has introduced a number of lenses ..that at first look ..you might ask why? The 21/24(3.4/3.) elmarits are slower than the 21/24(2.8) elmarits they replace. The slower elmarits are better corrected and at least 25% cheaper . Both sets are fairly small especially compared to the new summiluxes .

The reason for an asph summicron 50 is purely bragging rights as it will be a lot more money for a modest improvement in IQ .

Another way to ask the question...do you think Leica will introduce any more M lenses in 2011..or will it be at Photokina in 2012 ...

charlesphoto

Leica really need to get their production up first on the basics. My local rep said he could easily fill orders for 250 lenses tomorrow - and we are a much smaller market than say LA, NY, London, etc - but can't even get samples for himself let alone lenses to sell. Very frustrating for everyone. And I refuse to pay over retail price for used ones. The scalping going on with "new" lenses is ridiculous.

I'm sure a 28 Lux would be $$$$ - as much if not more than a 21/24 Lux.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
No question that the supply shortages are making most of us unhappy . For years it was list price x 85 maybe 90 percent for a mint minus lens. Maybe a little more if it was essentially new and a little less if you had a little mishap. Buying used was very little risk because you could almost always sell with very little friction (loss).

Leica got a lot of things right by sticking to a goal of creating “the best” at the same time Nikon and Canon seem to move to the mass merchants . But I believe its simply the growth of the asian demand that has stripped the shelves bare .

Not at all convinced I will ever see the 28/1.4 but it would be my 2nd most used lens along with the 50 1.4 asph . This is simply because the 28FOV fits my street shooting requirements . The PJ I work with all swear by the 28FOV as the center point ...most used . I only mentioned it because it could provide the type of upgrade that the 35 1.4 asph had when they went to the FLE version. Thats a wish .

The only rumors I have heard in order were (1)21/3.4 proved true (2)50/2asph looks promising (3)90/2 FLE (4) 75/1.4 asph (wow would that one be expensive) .

I also heard they recalled the first batch of 21/3.4asph to Solms ? heard that one?

The correct answer from a logistics standpoint is what lens is leica going to stop making ....but that would not be any fun?

Roger

leicashot

This sort of stuff:

But you could have shot that at 5.6-8 with perfect results when shooting rear sync. f/1.4 isn;t required and focusing/dof could be an issue.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
But you could have shot that at 5.6-8 with perfect results when shooting rear sync. f/1.4 isn;t required and focusing/dof could be an issue.
How so ..when shooting rear synch using f5.6 f8 wouldn t you have a 1/2 or 1/4 shutter speed ? This would turn the background motion blur into mush . Or did I misunderstand something. (I always found using rear synch with shutter speeds under 1/60 pretty iffy when doing weddings ) .

No question DOF is always an issue ...can you compose with such a limited DOF ?

thrice

This is a 1s exposure to compensate for shooting it at f/4.0 and wanting to balance the ambient light with the flash.
I would just like to have the flexibility for some isolation in shots. Also to have the option of shooting a few with available light instead of having to rely fill flash.
leicashot; thanks for telling me how I could have shot it, I am so new to photography all these settings and dials are so confusing...

thrice

I must admit I've never heard of rear sync, I used first curtain so that I would know if I got the shot when I saw the flash in the viewfinder, then I can manipulate the camera while the shutter is open to get the ambient light to streak as I want. From what google tells me 'rear sync' is second curtain, and alas pretty useless to me in this sort of situation and my style of shooting. I'm sure it works for leicashot when he shoots in clubs to get this sort of look but unfortunately I haven't the skill to anticipate what the subject will do for the 1s or so after I hit the shutter release. :)

leicashot

How so ..when shooting rear synch using f5.6 f8 wouldn t you have a 1/2 or 1/4 shutter speed ? This would turn the background motion blur into mush . Or did I misunderstand something. (I always found using rear synch with shutter speeds under 1/60 pretty iffy when doing weddings ) .

No question DOF is always an issue ...can you compose with such a limited DOF ?
it's ok, I'm often wrong.

leicashot

I must admit I've never heard of rear sync, I used first curtain so that I would know if I got the shot when I saw the flash in the viewfinder, then I can manipulate the camera while the shutter is open to get the ambient light to streak as I want. From what google tells me 'rear sync' is second curtain, and alas pretty useless to me in this sort of situation and my style of shooting. I'm sure it works for leicashot when he shoots in clubs to get this sort of look but unfortunately I haven't the skill to anticipate what the subject will do for the 1s or so after I hit the shutter release. :)
You never know if you don't try