The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

be carefull with Leica M original strap!!!

Paratom

Ok,
I onced had a 1 week old Leica M falling on the floor because the quick- release mechanism of the Leica M strap had opened (the little black plastic thing was not all way down in the "lock-position").
I thought it was my fault not having mounted it correctly.
Since then I check it here and then and recently it had moved /opened a bit again!!!
My conclusion is that the release mechanism of the Leica strap can- under certain circumstances loosen/open with the risk the camera body falls of the strap.
My feeling is that the M9 mechnism doesnt close so tight as older Leica M straps did.
Anyways-personally I will replace the strap with something wich closes safe and tight. I dont need a strap where I can safe 2 minutes when mounting it after buying the camera with an increased risk that the strap loosens one day.
Which would be the best strap for replacing the original??

Anders_HK

Artisan & Artist - Silk Cord Strap :thumbs:

It is made of silk. There is no adjustment mechanism on it but it is flat the very best camera strap I have owned - period. I wish they made for non Leica cameras also, e.g. my Hy6.

It curls and bends easily, easy to wrap around your wrist or tuck into your camera bag. Simply excellent.

I have kept mine after selling the M8 last year hoping a future camera will fit it. However would be consider selling it since I have no camera it fits on. Please PM if you are interested.

Mine is black, same as on their webpage here http://www.artisanandartist.com/straps/acam106.htm

Regards
Anders

edftwin

I haven't encountered such problem before with my M8 original strap and i guess M9 shares the same strap as well. The quick release of your strap might be spoiled, causing it to loosen up from time to time.

I found that Barton 1972 and Gordy's strap are made of good quality thick leather with good looking colour and design. You should really consider them and i guess they're the cheapest compared to other straps with similar quality.

Barton 1972- http://cgi.ebay.com/LEATHER-CAMERA-STRAP-Leica-Voigtlander-Sony-Olympus-/220775180002?_trksid=p5197.m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D3%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D1681183763091653881

Gordy's -http://www.gordyscamerastraps.com/neck-horiz/index.htm

Shashin

That is a tough one. I prefer nylon for durability and something you can wash sweat out of. But I hate bulky wide straps. It used to be you nice tapered 3/4" to 1" wide straps, but I have had a hard time finding them. The strap for the Mamiya 7 is available, but has a bright white Mamiya logo on the back.

charlesphoto

The Upstrap. Won't fall off your shoulder (if you carry your camera that way). While a silk strap looks sexy and I'm sure feels great I would really worry about it slipping off of clothing. Each to his own of course.

m_driscoll

Bizarre. The strap on my new M9-P came lose today! I grabbed the camera before it bit the dust. I don't think the black cover was pushed down all of the way. I've never had a problem before with the std. Leica M8 and M9 straps. Once it's locked in; it's very hard to get off.

p.s. As Charles suggested, I use the UpStrap on all of My Nikon bodies.

Cheers, Matt

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

jaapv

Subscriber Member
Luigi (Leicatime) makes very nice metalless straps (if you can get him to respind to your mail...)

250swb

My feeling is that the M9 mechnism doesnt close so tight as older Leica M straps did.
Its the same strap that it has always been. I've never had a problem (going back well before the M8 or M9) with these straps if you push the lock down properly.

I did briefly try my rangefinder version of the UpStrap with the locking Leica rings. And it worked great, except even in the small version of the strap the shoulder pad is heavy and swings like a pendulum and makes it bulky if you want to wrap the strap around your wrist.

Steve

ChrisN

If you don't trust the Leica clip on the latest Leica straps, you can always relpace it with a small split-ring. Your local fishing shop has them in various sizes and strengths (they use them in fishing tackle - up to 50kg+).

Paratom

If you don't trust the Leica clip on the latest Leica straps, you can always relpace it with a small split-ring. Your local fishing shop has them in various sizes and strengths (they use them in fishing tackle - up to 50kg+).
This is obvious but I didnt have this idea - because I like the "rest" of the original strap.
First time the quickrelease was loose I thought maybe I had not closed it correct. Second time I found out it must have loosened.
This was 2 years later so I am not saying it happens often,I just dont want to have that risk and I dont see any real benefit in the "quickrelease".
I will replace it with rings.

Thank you for all the suggestions- I will keep those in mind.
Tom

D&A

I've heard this story fo the Quick release Leica clips coming loose for a very long time...therefore when the M8 was first introduced, I replaced them with simple circular split rings and haven't had an issue since. Since virtually no one removes a strap on a regular basis, I never understood what the QR design was for or its advantage.

Dave (D&A)

250swb

Since virtually no one removes a strap on a regular basis, I never understood what the QR design was for or its advantage.

Dave (D&A)
I always thought it was designed as a locking system rather than primarily quick release system. But in any case the advantage is that the plastic part of the strap coincides with the plastic strap protectors on the body, stopping strap rub by holding the strap away in normal use. The other advantage would be the ability to use a round section of wire. This stops premature wear of the strap lug from the traditional keyring with hard/sharp edges and ends which can gouge the lug each time they rotate through it. Fitting a keyring it is also possible the lug becomes gouged or gets shiny marks on its outer faces.

I suppose the locking system may be over elaborate, but it will have been designed when Leica still had in mind that the camera will last forever. If somebody was given the task of 'improve the strap and eyelet design' why wouldn't they come up with just such a system? As for people having problems, or hearing of people who had problems with the design, we need to counter those few with all the people we haven't heard from at all, the happy users who fit it and forget it.

Steve

Paratom

I always thought it was designed as a locking system rather than primarily quick release system. But in any case the advantage is that the plastic part of the strap coincides with the plastic strap protectors on the body, stopping strap rub by holding the strap away in normal use. The other advantage would be the ability to use a round section of wire. This stops premature wear of the strap lug from the traditional keyring with hard/sharp edges and ends which can gouge the lug each time they rotate through it. Fitting a keyring it is also possible the lug becomes gouged or gets shiny marks on its outer faces.

I suppose the locking system may be over elaborate, but it will have been designed when Leica still had in mind that the camera will last forever. If somebody was given the task of 'improve the strap and eyelet design' why wouldn't they come up with just such a system? As for people having problems, or hearing of people who had problems with the design, we need to counter those few with all the people we haven't heard from at all, the happy users who fit it and forget it.

Steve
Steve,
I had happily used it on my M6 for many years without a problem.
But I can honestly tell you that if your 1 week new M9 and a 50Summilux asph drop on a street from about chest height that this is not funny. Good thing I had insurance.
Now 1 year later it was loosened again (but nothing happened). My feel is that for some reason the plastic cap of the latest one I received doesnt sit as tight as previous ones.
Could be also sample variation.

To protect the camera body from wear (from rings) there are other ways to do it as well.
The X1 and also the S2 also doesnt come with such a QR feauture. As an engineer I see it as a potential risk for damage (we can discuss how seldom it really happens) without any benefits over other solutions.
No problem for me since replacing it isnt expensive at all and anybody can decide himself if one wants to rely on it or not.

W

wilsonlaidlaw

Luigi (Leicatime) makes very nice metalless straps (if you can get him to respind to your mail...)
I agree with Jaap. I have Luigi's straps on my M9, IIF and Contax IIA. They are made in lovely soft leather, which just gets better and better with use, as the body's natural oils continue to soften the leather. I must get round to ordering two more for my M8 (now donated to M9) and M4.

Wilson

seakayaker

Artisan & Artist - Silk Cord Strap :thumbs:

It is made of silk. There is no adjustment mechanism on it but it is flat the very best camera strap I have owned - period. I wish they made for non Leica cameras also, e.g. my Hy6.

It curls and bends easily, easy to wrap around your wrist or tuck into your camera bag. Simply excellent.

I have kept mine after selling the M8 last year hoping a future camera will fit it. However would be consider selling it since I have no camera it fits on. Please PM if you are interested.

Mine is black, same as on their webpage here http://www.artisanandartist.com/straps/acam106.htm

Regards
Anders
++1!

I have two of these straps and they are wonderful. I carry the camera in my one hand the majority of the time when out and about with the strap wrapped around my wrist. The A&A strap is well made with secure fittings that do not mark the camera as well as being soft, flexible and comfortable when wrapped around the wrist and stores easily with camera in the bag.

ShiroKuro

I have several A&A Silk straps ... most comfortable strap on hot humid days .... does not dig into skin of your neck ... Also though it is round it does not roll off your shoulder easily ... ALso very comfortable to use as a wrist strap .... I only wish they had the black plastic spiked shoulder pad of the Leica strap ... I miss that digging into my skin , really keeps me on my toes and for the catholic in me ,instant penance for photographing things I should not ....why be comfortable ?

Get the A&A

Paratom

I have several A&A Silk straps ... most comfortable strap on hot humid days .... does not dig into skin of your neck ... Also though it is round it does not roll off your shoulder easily ... ALso very comfortable to use as a wrist strap .... I only wish they had the black plastic spiked shoulder pad of the Leica strap ... I miss that digging into my skin , really keeps me on my toes and for the catholic in me ,instant penance for photographing things I should not ....why be comfortable ?

Get the A&A
Mmh, it sounds really good but I dont know if I want to spend that much money for a strap.

henningw

I've used the Domke Gripper narrow straps without the extra hardware for years, and buy them by the dozen for all my cameras. After about 10 years the rubber 'grippy' side of the strap is gone, and I replace it. I might change cameras, but the strap goes from my old to the new and the camera I sell usually goes with a pristine OEM strap.

http://tinyurl.com/ytgk8o

More comfortable than the Leica straps, reasonable price and less chance of slipping off your shoulder than just about anything and definitely better than the Leica straps. Uses split rings or just the nylon web to attach to the camera and has leather wear protectors when using split rings.

Henning