The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

ok to delte pics inside M9?

gooomz

is it good practice to delete unwanted pics in the M9 camera or should i wait to do that when importing?

also, is it ok to use big memory cards like 16gb in the M9 or should i try to go smaller.

thanks

charlesphoto

I do both with no problems. Just don't do too much preview monkeying around when writing a large amount of images to the card - mine can sometimes hang. Also be sure to switch out batteries when you get the low warning. The camera will shoot right up till the end of the battery's charge but may not write the images to the card. I've lost a few that way.

gooomz

what do you mean by preview monkeying around?

do you mean like scrolling through your images a lot?

i shot 300 images on a 16gb card and then i got i glith where my camera would freeze up when previewing the 40th pic.

wasn't sure if that was from deleting a lot of pics as i shot.

baudolino

I've never had any problem deleting and previewing images on the M9. I always format the card in the camera.

gooomz

ever experience freeze ups with the M9 when previewing inside the camera?

freeze ups happened to me on my trip which led me to believe maybe it wasn't good practice to delete pics inside the M9 maybe corrupting the memory card or something.

250swb

The camera 'hanging', sometimes requiring the battery to be taken out and re-inserted, seems to be usually caused when the camera is still writing to the card and you are quickly reviewing the images, or deleting them, etc. Its to do with overlapping functions getting in the way of each other. Possibly its the firmware to blame. But the solution in many cases is use a fast card, a 16gb card is fine, and just wait that split second before carrying on with something else. In this last respect you can obviously help by not deleteing images but leaving them on the card until you have downloaded them. And before anybody chimes in with 'what, with a $7000 camera!?', yes, its an annoying fault, but at least you have an M9 ;)

Steve

etrigan63

Best practice is to delete the pictures in the computer after importing and then format the card in the camera. Regardless of the amount of money spent on the camera, the digital media upon which it is stored uses the CIFS file system (formerly known as FAT32) which uses a file allocation table to keep track of the files. Solid state media has a finite number of writes in its service life as writing to the media damages it (that's how it's supposed to work), and if a 1-bit error occurs in the file allocation table, the camera can lose the ability to retrieve from/write to the disk.

This can happen with a $99 Fisher Price digicam, a $7k Leica, or a $40+K Phase One. Till someone designs a more robust digital medium that is error-proof (or at least self-healing) and decides to use a more modern file system, it's just one of the little burdens that we have to bear for our art.

Last edited:

Don Libby

I really don't like the delete function on any camera and never use it.

We were sitting in a cafe in Marble Canyon a couple years ago when a couple on their vacation from NY accidently deleted all the images from their camera. Several weeks of images wiped out by the slip of a hand. Luckily I had a copy of the SanDisk restore with me and was able to restore close to 99% of their images.

When ever folks ask me I recommend they forget they have a delete function on their camera. Load you images onto your computer then reformat the disk in camera on after checking to make certain all the images were downloaded.

Just my 2¢

Don

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I absolutely agree with Don on this. I avoid deleting anything in camera at all for the screw up reasons that Don cites. Also, sometimes even mistakes have some merit when you review them later - even if it's just to copy regions off for another image in post processing.

m_driscoll

I really don't like the delete function on any camera and never use it.

We were sitting in a cafe in Marble Canyon a couple years ago when a couple on their vacation from NY accidently deleted all the images from their camera. Several weeks of images wiped out by the slip of a hand. Luckily I had a copy of the SanDisk restore with me and was able to restore close to 99% of their images.

When ever folks ask me I recommend they forget they have a delete function on their camera. Load you images onto your computer then reformat the disk in camera on after checking to make certain all the images were downloaded.
Just my 2¢
Don
I do exactly what Don said. Sometimes, hard to tell how bad, or good, a shot is on the camera LCD. :D

Cheers, Matt

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com