The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

M9 sensor crack and sensor fault

LightingLeica

So my 3 month old M9 sensor cracked during Steve Huff's workshop 2 weekends ago, got a new one sent to me in exchange and the first day after 110 shots during Eric Kim's workshop this new M9 came up with the sensor fault. So within 7 days I had two M9s die on me. Has anyone else had this much bad luck with their Leicas?

Check my blog for photos and details.

Sensor Crack

Sensor Fault

Now I am not confident that the 3rd M9 will work when I need it most. I have a Fuji X100 but it's just not the same. I travel every month and would much rather be shooting with the Leica than the Fuji if the M9 breaks again during a trip. I'm considering a used M8 but need a warranty, or even another M9 as a backup. At least maybe I'll have 1 working Leica at all times.

Any suggestions?

ashwinrao1

Hi Todd,
That's horrid luck. I think the 3rd time will be a charm. I hadn't heard of luck craziness in such a short span, and in my nearly 2 years of M9 ownership, I haven't had an issue....

Hope it gets resolved the second time around. Sorry, bud!

Ash

David K

Workshop Member
Wow... that is some seriously bad luck. They say it comes in three's so be careful crossing the street :) I clicked on your links and noticed that David F stepped up to the plate for you. Not surprising... and I agree with you about purchasing from a reputable dealer. Best of luck with your next M9.

johnnygoesdigital

Didi the camera have any incident or anything that would have contributed to the cracked sensor? Thankfully, you purchased from Dale Photo, David and Josh are the absolute best in regards to dealer service. Keep us posted.

LightingLeica

Thanks for your help Ash, hopefully #3 is a good one.

I've never dropped the 1st one, after the flight to Seattle I noticed the crack, it was in my carry on bag in the overhead compartment. Not sure how it happened.

edftwin

Wow...this is my first time hearing M9 sensor cracked, you got really bad luck and hopefully the 3rd unit will be a good one. However, it's good to hear that your dealer was able to work out an exchange for you.

seakayaker

Todd, sending along a good thought that the third camera is the charm and works perfectly for many years to come!

Time & Patience . . . . .

To answer your question. Don't buy a back up M9.

Instead spend the $7K on three, used, back-up M8s and a set of IR filters. Then you won't have to worry about a warranty. Sell the X100. It's not a Leica. It not even a rangefinder! (Disclosure: I carry a X100 daily everywhere I go for personal use.) Use the X100 funds towards buying a lens for the M8(s) that will give you the widest-angle-of-view you use on your M9 (when it works).

Let's hope you don't get the M9/SanDisk card-failure syndrome as well.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1038&thread=37984216

and

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=108907

At least for your $7,000 M9 expenditure you're getting quick replacements. I doubt you will ever give up on Leica (I would have by now), so all you can do is keep exchanging cameras. Lots of people seem to have M9s they trust completely, so eventually you'll get a trustworthy M9 as well.

I am stunned you would consider spending another $7,000 for a M9 back up. It seems like spending another $7,000 for another M9 just rewards Leica for eroding your confidence. Actually, I must say I am totally astonished you would spend $14K just to use a rangefinder digital camera with confidence.

For paid gigs I own a back up camera (identical to my primary body) because I might drop a camera and because I must insulate my clients from the small, but real, risk a complicated electronic and mechanical device will fail within it's first three years. But this has nothing to do with lack of confidence in the cameras' reliability.

edtan

Sorry to hear that Todd. Good to have a dealer that takes care of you.
Hope the third one works!

Wonder if the battery or the SD card has anything to do with it.
Keep us posted.

Good Thoughts and Regards,
Ed

LightingLeica

I don't think it's the sd card or battery, I have several I cycle through. Thanks for the good thoughts Ed.

Willie, interesting suggestions. I'm leaning towards a used M8, or Dale Photo has a couple demo M9's at a good discount from the new price, with warranties. But I do hate to reward Leica with another M9 sale because of all of these problems.

D&A

Wow...this is my first time hearing M9 sensor cracked, you got really bad luck and hopefully the 3rd unit will be a good one. However, it's good to hear that your dealer was able to work out an exchange for you.
Sensor cover glass cracks are well documemented on a good number of early released M9 bodies...so it's not a 1st time or rare occurrence. Regardless, it's unfortunate for anyone to have to deal with.

Dave (D&A)