The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Just upgraded - my M9 warranty

atanabe

I decided to upgrade my M9 with the Leica warranty offer. The cost is reasonable at $411 US and has the added benefit of transferring to a new owner if I decide to sell it. Good for one year from the end of the current warranty which puts it just a month after Photokina ;).

The process is straight forward, you send in a request via their web page to start the process. They contact you for proof of purchase, warranty card and of course payment.

I am happy with the process.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Al You are sure the warranty is transferrable ? Pretty sure the standard warranty we got with the USA M9 was not transferrable. $411 is nice insurance when its time to sell . I had trouble with 2 out of 3 M8 s when I sold them (and I was using them frequently). Roger

atanabe

Roger,
The warranty comes from Solms so it goes by their rules. So the warranty is transferrable and extends one year from the end of the normal 2 year warranty. You are right, not a bad price for peace of mind for buyer and seller.

Al

weinschela

Subscriber Member
I've done the same. I have to figure any major repair will be $440, and if I do decide to sell, at least some of the cost can be recovered. Right now, my M9 is my M10 backup-in-waiting.

tele_player

Do claims on this warranty need to travel to Germany?

-Robert

Roger,
The warranty comes from Solms so it goes by their rules. So the warranty is transferrable and extends one year from the end of the normal 2 year warranty. You are right, not a bad price for peace of mind for buyer and seller.

Al

atanabe

Do claims on this warranty need to travel to Germany?

-Robert
Most repairs have to be done in Germany anyways. But the warranty is issued by the manufacturer, Leica AG, and the local US company will be paid by Leica AG to handle the repairs.

atanabe

Just got my official warranty extension papers from Germany and it states:
"The extension of warranty belongs to the camera and will be transferred to the buyer in case of sale"

Novel thought, Germans warranty the camera, in the US, we warranty the user.