The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

In-Depth Articles on Lenses

Double Negative

Not Available
Vignetting tests and "Further Research" sections added to most lens reviews, along with "Coding for Digital Ms."

Getting there! If I wasn't leaving for Germany in a few days, I'd have some time this coming weekend to add additional tests, but alas - authentic Bier and Schnitzel wait for no man! :D

henningw

Had a quick read of the first article.

There's a small error near the end in the naming section:

The lens is a "APO -Telyt-M 135mm f/3.4 ASPH ", not f/4.

I'm sure you know this, but the Cosina way of naming Voigtländer lenses is based on the old Voigtländer way of naming things, with Ultrons being around f/2, Noktons faster and Skopars and Color Skopars being slower, with the latter being better optimized for colour, ie, less magnification variation due to spectral differences. Heliars were typically long focal length lenses with larger amounts of spherical aberration to allow adjustment of sharpness and especially contrast of fine detail by varying the aperture. A high bokeh quality was designed into these lenses.

Double Negative

Not Available
Aha! Thank you, I fixed that typo. Must've had the Tele-Elmar-M on the brain or something.

Interesting info on the Voigtländer naming, and yes - not entirely new stuff there. The Ultrons and Noktons are fairly obvious - as are the Heliars (which I believe are Tessar variants).

Though I don't know that I'd say Color Skopars are "optimized for color." Every lens is optimized for color, even old lenses that, at the time - could only record on black and white film (since that's all they had back then). Black and white in some ways is actually more demanding than color.

Double Negative

Not Available
I added a new review over the weekend; the Zeiss Biogon T* 2/35 ZM and added some preliminary sharpness tests and additional sample images thread links to existing reviews. Wrote up an article just today for the heck of it - Breaking the Photographic Rut.

I'm looking forward to improved sharpness testing (both charts and real world) and reviewing the next lens - I'm thinking the Zeiss Biogon T* 2,8/25 or Planar T* 2/50 ZMs. Love those lenses.

If ya haven't been by in a while, come check it out. It's really coming along, I think.