The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Soviet LTM lenses , was there ever a jupiter 9?

B

BenMacPhoto

Yes, but if I'm remembering correctly they may have focus issues and need to be collimated to the Leica standard.

Peter Klein

True, but the J-9s are particularly problematic. I went through two of them, neither focused correctly. Fixing them was expensive and no guarantee, so I didn't bother. The 50mm lenses are comparatively simple to adjust. The 85mm J-9 is often put together incorrectly by someone who tried to "fix" it themselves, and it can be very difficult to figure out unless you or the repair person knows the lens well. Then there's the question of whether the J-9 was designed to a different standard than Leica's. Read Dante Stella's "Ivan the Incompatible."
http://dantestella.com/technical/compat.html

If what Dante finds is true, and I believe it is, then any adjustment is a compromise, and the J-9 will never perform equally well close up vs. far away. The second one I had was stunning from 12 ft to infinity, but always misfocused closer up.

A far better equivalent (Sonnar derivative) is the LTM Nikkor 85/2, although the common chrome version is quite heavy. I had one for a while and liked it very much except for the weight. I eventually traded up to a 1980s 90/2 Summicron, which I still have.

dude163

Thanks alot everyone.

Peter , so I should look for a Nikkor or a cron 90 ( the cron was my 1st choice, but I was hoping to get a lens cheaper)

Leica and cheap, not 2 words that work well together :)

Brian S

The Canon 85/2 and 85/1.9 are worth looking at. Cheaper than the Nikkor, but longer and heavier. Not quite as sharp wide-open as the Nikkor, but quite good. A canon 85/2 runs under $200.

Brian S

The Canon 85/2 is a Canon Serenar, the F1.9- dropped Serenar and goes by Canon.

The Canon "Serenar" 85/2, wide-open on the M8. This lens is circa 1950, came with a Leotax D-IV and an early Simlar 50/1.5.

at F4

Peterm1_Leica

I had the poor focussing issue with the J9 on my M8. Funny enough I recall using with my M3 and getting some good shots. BUt now I just use it on a Sony NEX where there is no issue as you see exactly what is in focus and what is not on screen. For this purpose it works well.

Brian S

INCOMING! "Canon 85/2 Serenar headed your way."

be sure to post some pictures with it.

and maybe one of the most uncommon filters ever: A Canon Hot Mirror Filter.

dude163

Cleared Customs on jun 8th my email *alert* tells me :)

how much of an alert is 48 hours later? gah!

dude163

I finally received my Voigtlander 50/75 adapter today so here are some shots taken with a 1966 KMZ Jupiter 8 50mm. The lens has a bit of fungus in the centre of it, but its the lens my dad used to take shots of us growing up, so I need to get it cleaned :)

Brian S

Beautiful memories, the reason we use cameras.

My brother had a model plane just like that. We enjoyed flying them, and at about the same time as this photo was taken.

woodyspedden

Thanks alot everyone.

Peter , so I should look for a Nikkor or a cron 90 ( the cron was my 1st choice, but I was hoping to get a lens cheaper)

Leica and cheap, not 2 words that work well together :)
Dude

You should look also at the Elmarit 90 (The one with the sliding hood i.e. the last one)

I just picked up a mint condition one for under $1800 which is a real value/.

Not as sharp as the APO 90 Cron but in some ways I like the drawing better and the differences in size and weight are really substantial

Woody Spedden

Brian S

The Canon 85/2 is not much more than the J-9 in LTM, and will focus properly on a Leica. The J-9 will not focus correctly over the full-range on a Leica.The Canon can be found for ~$200.

dude163

and for 200 its a bargain! I shot some bokeh tests using 3 vintage lenses yesterday ( Jupiter 8 50/2 , cron 50/2 , and the Cabon 85/2 ) and the Canon holds up very well!