The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica Sales up 29%

monza

Leica Camera Aktiengesellschaft, Solms
ISIN DEOOOAOEPU98, DEOOOAOXFSH6
Interim report to 30 June 2011
1st quarter of the 2011/2012 fiscal year
Sales 28.7% up as compared with previous year – Operating result (EBIT) up 36.7% as
compared with same period last year
Leica Camera Group maintained its growth during the first quarter of the new fiscal year. At
EUR 72,313,000, sales were 28.7% up on the corresponding quarter of the previous fiscal
year (EUR 56,176,000), while the consolidated net income for the period under review,
influenced by such factors as a higher contribution margins, rose by EUR 1,403,000 to
EUR10,829,000 (previous year EUR 9,426,000).
Due to the continuing strong demand the number of people employed by the Group rose to
1,152 (previous year 1,083).
For the 2011/2012 fiscal year the Board of Management anticipates further sales growth,
pushing our EBIT well over the 20 million euro mark.
This sales growth over the past year is down to enduringly strong demand in all product
categories, with sales 36% up in the Photography division, comprising products such as the
Leica M-System, the professional S-System and Leica's D-Lux 5 and V-Lux 30 compact digital
cameras. The successor model to the Leica V-Lux 20, launched in May 2011, has already sold
over 10,000 units after just eight weeks on the market. This sales growth applies to all regions, with Europe, Germany and Asia registering
particularly strong rises of more than 30%. Even in the much more fiercely competitive sport
optics segment sales rose by 20 % to 6.9 million euros.
In response to the continuing strong demand the Board of Management has approved a
further package of measures designed to improve stock availability.
The operating result (EBIT) was EUR 4,430,000 or 36.7% up on the same period last year and
now totals EUR 16,494,000. The balance sheet total has risen by EUR 34,549,000 to EUR
163,414,000, and funds, material inventories and accounts receivable have all increased
proportionately with the rising sales. The rise on the liabilities side results from the increase
in equity due to the improved results.
Solms, 12 August 2011
The Board of Management
Alfred Schopf Andreas Lobejäger

thrice

They have been hiring, and built an entire new factory to up production. Remember this surge happened over the past 2-3 years, not a very long time to increase production to the required level given the way they make lenses.

D&A

They have been hiring, and built an entire new factory to up production. Remember this surge happened over the past 2-3 years, not a very long time to increase production to the required level given the way they make lenses.
I would also assume like any company, that after experiencing a rough financial period and then having their fortunes and good luck change with 2-3very successful years, will expand and invest in upgrading infrastructure and production in a well controlled and carefully monitored pace. This would be especially true in the current global economy, where things are still quite volatile and can change fairly rapidly. Good to see Leica turning the corner with some very successful products and sales.

Dave (D&A)

seakayaker

I was happy to help with the opportunity to purchase a couple of new lenses during their first quarter. Recently added a new camera in their second quarter which should help with their continued growth forecast.

Unfortunately for Leica, I have now sworn off any new purchases for at least a year or more.

. . . . . and I mean it . . . . . :D

ashwinrao1

LOL, Dan.

I think I have been assisting in Leica's financial turn around for the past 3 years or so...

Good to hear things are going well. Hopefully, the supply can meet the demand someday soon.