The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica Halts MP Production 'til 2012

j. white

I wonder if it is a shortage of sensors? What else could be so crucial?
I've got a stock of MP sensors in my refrigerator! Unfortunately they're only good for 36 exposures, and then you have to replace them. <insert appropriate emoticon here>

seakayaker

. . . . . perhaps more appropriate for the Analog thread . . . . .

Anyway, I beat the rush . . . . .

. . . . . picked one up last week!

patashnik

And I just put my chrome MP up for sale. Thanks for posting this, may have to think twice about getting rid of it now.

monza

So, the 2 people who had them on order will have to wait a bit.

This is the tough part about building low volume, it's difficult to get IC manufacturers to care. They should have bought 500 units before the part was EOL, that would have lasted them forever. :)

atanabe

So, the 2 people who had them on order will have to wait a bit.

This is the tough part about building low volume, it's difficult to get IC manufacturers to care. They should have bought 500 units before the part was EOL, that would have lasted them forever. :)
Sounds more like a sudden departure by the supplier. Maybe Tsunami related? I had the understanding that EU regulations meant the manufacturer had to have six years of repair parts post end of production.

ashwinrao1

Smells like a bit of death to me....I doubt that they are making many (any MP's) other than the a la cartes, and with the coming M9-P upgrades and low supplies in camera & lens parts accross the board, this may be a bit of a shot across the bow as to slowing and ceasing production of the film line....

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Sounds more like a sudden departure by the supplier. Maybe Tsunami related? I had the understanding that EU regulations meant the manufacturer had to have six years of repair parts post end of production.
Actually it is 10 years of repair parts.

250swb

this may be a bit of a shot across the bow as to slowing and ceasing production of the film line....
Which may be believable if they were not selling as many as they can make. Leica must be seeing the same increase in the use of film that the rest of the camera industry has.

Steve

fotografz

And I just put my chrome MP up for sale. Thanks for posting this, may have to think twice about getting rid of it now.
Heed your own instinct. Every one of my close Leica M group of friends sold their film Ms when going digital, and have regretted it afterwards.

It really does maximize the use of the M lens mount collections we each have ... mostly for B&W, but some color films are still hard to match in certain circumstances ... for feel and artistic value. Plus, the MP is such a beautiful camera :)

I was using a friend's Chrome M6 not long ago, and forgot what a "real" M felt like ... I miss that feel of cocking a M.

-Marc