The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Pricing for black 50 Lux ASPH

JSK

I am considering selling my black 50 Lux ASPH. There are wide range of prices for used copy and wanted to get some fair pricing for this.

Its a relative recent copy with serial starting at 403. Looks new with some minor wear (very very very minor).

No box, case or paper work and comes with Leica UN/IR filter and caps.

Thoughts?

thrice

I think the times of getting above retail for used glass are coming to an end... but I would list it for say 5% above RRP and see if you get any nibbles, I've seen them go for as much as $1k above RRP on these forums in LNIB condition with boxes etc.

wattsy

I think the times of getting above retail for used glass are coming to an end...
Agreed. I get the sense a bit of the froth is coming off the recent pricing frenzy. I've also seen the 50 Summilux increasingly in stock (UK dealers) in the last couple of weeks so I think back orders are beginning to be filled.

David K

Workshop Member
I'm sure your question is sincere but this has been a bit of a hot topic on the forum recently with a lot of strong opinions being expressed. If you can see your way clear to keeping the lens and shooting with it I'd strongly suggest it. It's a remarkably good lens. Just for the record I agree with Daniel about the feeding frenzy dying down. Nothing like a couple of trillion dollar world wide market losses to cool things off a bit.

ramosa

David, that was my thinking all along. The world's markets are tumbling and affecting everything except used Leica lens prices ;)

250swb

Thoughts?
I agree with the others, you missed to boat on the price frenzy, Summilux are fairly easy to buy from a dealer now so demand has been filled.

As such its a secondhand lens without a box (often important for some Leica buyers). Let the market decide what its worth.

Steve

Rolo

I agree with the others, you missed to boat on the price frenzy, Summilux are fairly easy to buy from a dealer now so demand has been filled. Steve
Perhaps it's past it's peak, but my Dealer said yesterday that he's receiving one a month from Leica and he could sell one a week.

What's more, many first time M9 buyers want this lens to be included in their purchase. I'm selling one at the moment and the dealer offered £2,000, which is higher than his cost price from Leica.

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
I don't have one for sale or anything else right now in fact, but honestly I believe any lens is worth exactly what a buyer will pay for it - and not a penny more. I just laid out a premium price for my 24mm 'Lux because I have waited for over a year to come up on the list at my dealer. To me, having the lens and using it was worth the premium.

As for the supply increasing anytime soon from Leica, I honestly doubt it. They need to build more capacity first - as in building a new plant and the tooling for manufacturing to increase production. Last time I knew, they haven't even broken ground on the new plant yet. So until that plant comes online in a couple more years, I would attribute any increase in apparent supply to be exactly what David K suggested - actually a decrease in current demand. But this is just my opinion, your own may vary.

iiiNelson

I don't have one for sale or anything else right now in fact, but honestly I believe any lens is worth exactly what a buyer will pay for it - and not a penny more. I just laid out a premium price for my 24mm 'Lux because I have waited for over a year to come up on the list at my dealer. To me, having the lens and using it was worth the premium.

As for the supply increasing anytime soon from Leica, I honestly doubt it. They need to build more capacity first - as in building a new plant and the tooling for manufacturing to increase production. Last time I knew, they haven't even broken ground on the new plant yet. So until that plant comes online in a couple more years, I would attribute any increase in apparent supply to be exactly what David K suggested - actually a decrease in current demand. But this is just my opinion, your own may vary.
From what I understood about the backlog, the problem wasn't manufacturing abilitity but rather supply problems for the glass used in the Summilux.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Leica has really perfected the marketing spin on the supply shortages .

Of course demand exceeds supply ...they added the S2 line and the Cinema glass plus the M production is 50% greater than with the M8 . The used M8 s require glass so each new M9 requires a set of glass. The extra supply from legacy glass is all but exhausted after 5 years of new body production. (should anyone be surprised ? this has been coming for a few years ).

Increasing production capacity runs squarely into a core value of life time employment. Management lived thru the analog digital depression of the 90 s where Leica laid off significant lifetime employees . Employees are added when there is confirmed proof of demand ..not in anticipation. And we sure as heck don t want to hire too many.

Increasing capacity normally requires a short term hit on production output. Do you want me to build this *&^% Noctilux or train the new guy? Leica has stated they will try to double lens production per day this year . They are having a great year ...now is the time to just let the backlog build a little . Ramp up capacity and increase prices . They can afford the short term cash hit.

North America is a special case ....the demand in asia is so much higher than its normal allocation that the lenses targeted for NA are going to asia . The prices in NA are low by international standards (for a lot of reasons ) . The used market has been skimmed by buyers shipping to asia . A new batch of summiluxes came into NA last week and you can find 10 on ebay . A shipment for the USA is typically less than 50.

This will start to balance out by year end as leica gets lens production under control. In 2012 the factory really has to build inventory in anticipation of the move to Wetzler. They will probably build the first batch of M10 s in Solms and then ramp up the new production in Wetzler . In 2013 they will produce out of both factories .

They have a lot on their plate to reposition the company over the next few years . I would expect that product availability will continue to be an issue . It could easily be summer of 2013 before the M10 is available (unless sensor shortages clip the M9 s life) .

But it sounds better to explain the lack of a exotic glass .

charlesphoto

Well, if anyone knows where I can buy this lens at MSRP, new or used, please pm me. My dealer says don't even bother with his list as it's so backed up. I refuse to spend a huge premium on a used lens so will just stick it out until supply gets better. I have two 50's (current summicron and last version pre-asph) and looking to consolidate.

iiiNelson

Me too... I've been debating between the 35 and 50 Lux but I refuse to pay the current used market inflation for what essentially is a hobby. Retail is fine and expected but the 50 Planar is great to me still. Eventually I will add all the lenses I REALLY want though.

Well, if anyone knows where I can buy this lens at MSRP, new or used, please pm me. My dealer says don't even bother with his list as it's so backed up. I refuse to spend a huge premium on a used lens so will just stick it out until supply gets better. I have two 50's (current summicron and last version pre-asph) and looking to consolidate.
Try Keeble and Shucat - that's where I got mine (new).

http://www.kspphoto.com/