The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Funny thing happened while ordering a 50mm lux!

Today I decided to finally order a 50mm Summilux as I have been lusting after this lens for a while and now with my new M9 in hand I decided it was time.

So I called my local Leica dealer expecting a 6-12 month wait for one of these babies. The dealer said they just received an order of 50mm Summilux lenses that fulfilled all of the orders on backlog so I would be the first on the waiting list for the next batch.

That's great, I said - how long do you expect before the next batch, I asked? He said about a month - which I thought was great.

About two hours later, he calls me back and says "has it already been a month?" - puzzled, I said "huh?".

Then he says the last guy on the waiting list wanted a silver one and the last lens they had was black so if I wanted a black one, it was mine!

Well that's exactly what I wanted - so now I have my 50mm lux with no wait time - how lucky is that!

I can't pick it up till Saturday but I am stoked - can't wait to get my hands on this lens :D

250swb

It shows the importance of getting on a dealers list when wanting a new Leica lens. Too many people ring around then complain nobody has one instead of saying to the dealer 'put me down for one'. I ordered my 50mm Summilux a few months ago with a possible six month delivery time, and three days later the shipment to all the UK outlets had arrived and I got that phone call from my local dealer.

Enjoy your lens!

Steve

Thanks Steve - you're not kidding talking to a dealer - I was really in no hurry and had set my expectations for a long wait so this was a big surprise. Even if I hadn't gotten lucky, my dealer said it shouldn't take more than a month to get one.

seakayaker

Congratulations!

. . . . . I love stories where people actually get to buy a new lens at a retail price instead of from the number of scalpers who buy to resell at a higher price.

Enjoy!

Congratulations!

. . . . . I love stories where people actually get to buy a new lens at a retail price instead of from the number of scalpers who buy to resell at a higher price.

Enjoy!
Exactly - after looking at the prices of used Leica lenses, I decided to buy directly from dealer at regular retail prices and just wait however long it takes.

I've really been wanting this lens but couldn't justify paying north of $4,500 for a used copy...

Double Negative

Not Available
That's awesome! Lucky man. :)

Definitely worthwhile to support the dealers and get the lens for what it actually costs, along with a warranty.

tele_player

Congratulations - I'll get a new Lux one of these days, but I have a really nice pre-ASPH, so there's no rush.

K&S is a nice place - and since they never have any lenses I want, I'm safe to go there :)

Congratulations - I'll get a new Lux one of these days, but I have a really nice pre-ASPH, so there's no rush.

K&S is a nice place - and since they never have any lenses I want, I'm safe to go there :)
Lol - I've had the same issue with them and Nikon lenses - guess I got really lucky with this one ;-)

Gonna try for a 35mm cron next :D

Godfrey

Good job!

The guys at Keeble have been pretty good to me, too. They're the reason I got the E-5 the instant it showed up in stores ... and with a small discount too.

Enjoy that Summilux 50. :)

Good job!

The guys at Keeble have been pretty good to me, too. They're the reason I got the E-5 the instant it showed up in stores ... and with a small discount too.

Enjoy that Summilux 50. :)
Thanks Godfrey - I like K&S - been going to them for nigh on 25 years now ;-)