The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Portable field storage

TimWright

Just got a Hyperdrive Colorspace after reading a review on Luminous Landscape. I have been using a first generation Epson and although it wouldn't display the M8 raws it still worked to store the images but is very slow. I emailed customer support at Hyperdrive and they replied that they are currently working on full support for the M8 so I think this will be the only device to fully support the M8. Screen is small but good quality and it has a slot for every type of card and is very fast. You can buy it with no hard drive and is simple to put your own in. Worth a look www.hyperdrive.com

R

roberth

trying to learn to draw, I'll get there.

It's funny really because the time it would have taken to take a shot with any of my digital cameras, upload onto PC and then shrink to size + being fiddly I'd have to get the lighting just right, do levels and curves etc., keyword, import into lightroom catalogue etc. etc. would have been more than the few minutes + a quick scan of the drawing.

BTW, price is in Australian Dollars so I think about $US170.

I buy tens of thousands worth of gear and end up with pencil and paper. I think I've lost it totally now LOL

Terry

Just got a Hyperdrive Colorspace after reading a review on Luminous Landscape. I have been using a first generation Epson and although it wouldn't display the M8 raws it still worked to store the images but is very slow. I emailed customer support at Hyperdrive and they replied that they are currently working on full support for the M8 so I think this will be the only device to fully support the M8. Screen is small but good quality and it has a slot for every type of card and is very fast. You can buy it with no hard drive and is simple to put your own in. Worth a look www.hyperdrive.com
I read that review with interest since I have nothing right now. I don't think I'm brave enough to install my own hard drive. Is it really simple?

Did customer service say that there would be a firmware update when there is M8 support?

Did you get either the battery pack or the extra lithium battery?

Thanks,
terry

dfarkas

Workshop Member
I use the Epson P-5000. It is much, much faster than the P-2000. The battery life is excellent and the screen is nice and big.

It downloads DMR and M8 DNG files, but displays a "?". So, on the M8 I shoot DNG+JPG so I can get a preview. On the DMR, I live with it. Some friends at Leica say they will lobby Epson (again) to provide support for Leica DNG files. I won't hold my breath, but it would be nice.

David

TimWright

I read that review with interest since I have nothing right now. I don't think I'm brave enough to install my own hard drive. Is it really simple?

Did customer service say that there would be a firmware update when there is M8 support?

Did you get either the battery pack or the extra lithium battery?

Thanks,
terry
bought mine with a drive installed but I had a look and it is quite straight forward to put in a drive. I emailed support and was told that they have been working on M8 support and that there would be a firmware update. I also bought the external battery pack.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I put a 200Gig drive in my laptop and toss them in a folder on the desktop :)

TimWright

I put a 200Gig drive in my laptop and toss them in a folder on the desktop :)
I do that as well but sometimes it is impossible to carry an laptop with you. My Dell laptop has a 21 inch screen and is the size of a briefcase so I wouldn't want to carry it anywhere.

ChrisDauer

Workshop Member
NHJ MPM 202. It only has a 60 GB hard drive (but I got it way back in 2005). Takes SD, CF I/II slots. Plays music, video, acts as a hard drive, and you can even watch TV with it when it's connected to the base (it'll also record TV). Used it on my 2 month trip around Europe, Africa, and the Middle East. Also used it more recently for 3 weeks in New Zealand. In both cases it was nice to not have to carry around a laptop.

Terry

I only fly with my laptop when I absolutely have to and these days that would be for a photo trip. Otherwise I can see/get what I need on Blackberry and iPhone. But a backup device is probably smart.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Same here Terry . The laptop is only for shooting anymore. My Iphone I can run this site, answer e-mails and take calls all on one device. that is pretty good. I am leaving tonight for Flagstaff to go shoot at a little town called St. Johns to just go shoot for ME and maybe the kids snowboarding at Snow bowl on Sunday ,trying to decide if i should even bother with the laptop. I have 6 4gb card i need more than that than i really need to go to the hospital if i am working it that hard . :ROTFL:

dfarkas

Workshop Member
You guys sound like the iPhone ads I see on TV! :)

My wife won't let me get one until they come out for Verizon. :(

David

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Crap. Just got the MacBook Pro and now you guys are telling me I need an iPhone...

ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Terry

You guys sound like the iPhone ads I see on TV! :)

My wife won't let me get one until they come out for Verizon. :(

David
David,
unless you to Europe (we know you need a trip to Solms) and buy an outrageously priced legally unlocked one, my friend you have a long wait ahead of you. The AT&T deal is multi-year

4season

The Jobo Giva Vu Pro Evolution and Extreme fully support the M8 now, and their hard drives are also user-upgradeable, though you need a T6 Torx driver to do it. Bear in mind that it takes the better part of a minute to actually open and display a DNG image due to limited computing horsepower available.

Colorspace sounds like a bargain, and I like how they're using cheap commodity-type batteries, but how do you like the 2" screen and the user interface+softkey arrangement?

TimWright

The Jobo Giva Vu Pro Evolution and Extreme fully support the M8 now, and their hard drives are also user-upgradeable, though you need a T6 Torx driver to do it. Bear in mind that it takes the better part of a minute to actually open and display a DNG image due to limited computing horsepower available.

Colorspace sounds like a bargain, and I like how they're using cheap commodity-type batteries, but how do you like the 2" screen and the user interface+softkey arrangement?
I am not too worried about the screen as I found that with my Epson I didn't really use it to review images. I like the battery and the easy to change drive. The menu system took only a few minutes to figure out. I know I looked at the Jobo a while back and the price of it was like 3 times the price of one of these. I also have a tiny Sony Vaio sub notebook with like a 5 inch screen running Vista and I actually have Lightroom on it for a more detailed look.

David, the Apple and AT&T iPhone exclusive agreement is a 5 year deal. It is going to be a long time before there is an alternative to AT&T here in the US if you want an iPhone. It it time for me to replace my current Treo and I have been lusting after an iPhone, but the AT&T partnership makes it tougher for me to switch. The AT&T plan is considerably more expensive than my current voice/data plan.

I spent some time with the iPhone yesterday and then looked at the closest competition and truthfully there is nothing that matches the iPhone at this time. Maybe in later next year when the Google Android phones come out there will be some competition. I have been looking for a Nokia N95 to compare, but haven't seen one in the flesh.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Jack:

Did you get a desktop too, or just the MacBook?
Just the book for now --- it will drive my 30" display and is pretty darn fast as an interim desktop anyway. (Dual 2.6 processors, 4G Ram, 7200 RPM SATA and good invidia card.) I'm waiting for the newest batch of processors to hit the MacPro which should be any day, or a the latest, MacWorld.

Cheers,