The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

What is the Leica 'glow'??

Brian S

Glow or NoGlow...

Jupiter-3 5cm F1.5, at F1.5 on the Leica M8. This lens is made from parts of three J-3's from 1955 to 1986, went through three front elements to get this look. Lower contrast than a Nikkor 5cm F1.4, but sharp. Optimized for F1.5.

JimCollum

Glow or NoGlow...

Jupiter-3 5cm F1.5, at F1.5 on the Leica M8. This lens is made from parts of three J-3's from 1955 to 1986, went through three front elements to get this look. Lower contrast than a Nikkor 5cm F1.4, but sharp. Optimized for F1.5.
yea.. there are some really nice non-leica lenses that have a 'glow' to them as well (not counting the numerous portrait lenses from large format cameras)

a recent acquisition Zeiss 8.5cm 2.0 Jena Sonnar (from 1930 according to the serial #)
(wide open at the same Pet Cemetery)

btw.. some excellent examples of different lens renderings in this thread (falling within the 'glow' heading)

Brian S

My 1936 (uncoated) 5cm F1.5 Carl Zeiss Jena Sonnar, converted to Leica mount using a J-3 focus mount.

Wide-open on the Leica M8.

PeterA

I get a glowing feeling smetimes when I use my Leica gear- but it requires assistance..

Photoshop has a glow filter - older uncoated lenses spread light in random fashion into a camera housing and over your film which some see as glow...

really it is a nonsense word - and attempts to define this are embarrassing to write and to read.

Brian S

My definition of Leica Glow is indisputable.

And I'm careful not to bring the Two radioactive Summicrons close together.

D&A

Uncorrected spherical aberration?
Better yet, partially corrected spherical aberation! It's often responsible for what is described as a lens's "character" and/or "glow". Problem is, balancing out the other good performance characteristics of a lens vs. how much spherical aberation one would hope it would have, is often quite subjective. A lot depends on having some of this "good thing" vs. having too much of "it". :)

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

LCT

Objectively, the "glow" is an halo around lighlights produced by legacy lenses like Summilux 35/1.4 pre-asph (below).

Ben Rubinstein

How much do those 35mm's go for these days? I've never seen that look on so wide a lens before? Isn't one of the fast Canon LTM lenses famous for this look as well?

Chris C

Objectively, the "glow" is an halo around lighlights produced by legacy lenses.......
"What is the Leica 'glow'??"

............ but to my eyes, it always look ghastly, which is why I'd prefer it not to be called 'glow', or 'character'; but a design aberration, or lens fault.

............ Chris

Ben Rubinstein

I doubt it is either of the above having been designed like that from all accounts for those who do appreciate the look. In any case an individuals predjudice against the look is hardly grounds for the inability to use a phrase which is based on a large groups appreciation of said effect is it?

jonoslack

I'd like to post something as good as Stuart's excellent post . . . but he's already done that!

One thing I'm sure of is that there is no definition of it . . .is it the odd effect of an f1 Noctilux wide open? . . . or the splendid concentration of detail and bokeh of a modern 75 'cron asph? . . . the rather jittery out of focus of the 35 cron IV? or the perfection of the modern 50 'lux asph?

I think that the point is that many of the leica lenses have notable characteristics which are there for us (as photographers) to take advantage of: some of them aren't to everybody's taste (see Chris C above), and perhaps some of them are just an example of the emperor's new clothes . . . But it's hard to resist the draw of a well made shot with a good leica lens.

We recently scanned a lot of pictures from a family photo album from the 30's to the 60's for a wedding anniversary . . . . it was obvious that lots of them had a real presence, and a little thought showed that these had all been shot with a Leica and a 5cm lens.

Godfrey

+1

Whatever you have to work with, learn how to exploit its advantages and work around its flaws. :)

Stuart Richardson

Thanks Jono! I think it is clear that the Leica glow is like a mirage or trying to find shapes in the clouds or stars -- we see what we want to see. But here's some Leica glow taken using a coke bottle Canon 35/1.8 RF lens.