The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

On a positive note: Just bought one

dfarkas

Workshop Member
50 lux ASPH is part# 11891

It was introduced in late 2004/early 2005 along with the 75 cron APO. These were the first ever M lenses with floating elements.

As I said, the 50 lux-R (E60) is a very solid performer, but not quite as sharp wide open as the 50 ASPH M. I found that I often chose to take the 60 Macro over the 50 lux to cover the mid focal length. Having both a 50 and a 60 in my bag just didn't work for me. YMMV, of course.

David

EH21

Had two 60mm macros one newer one with ROM and one very old one, and frankly both were great. The first one I traded away in part for a 35-70 elmarit, then I bought another one when a deal presented itself to me. I compared it to the 35-70 elmarit and though it was great decided I didn't need the overlapping focal range and sold it. Actually I regret selling this lens both times and have even made the buyer of the ROM version promise to offer it back to me if he were to sell it. No such luck! He's keeping it. Its an older formula but really a great lens. Certainly at the price should be in every R shooters kit. The 50 lux has a different character though, not quite as dreamy as the 80 lux but significantly more dreamy than the 60macro. Sigh! I guess you'll have to try them all!

P

pascal_meheut

Which 180 APO?
The current one, first version modified later to accept the 1.4 extender.

I'm not happy to sell such lenses but I'm having a hard time manually focusing a SLR thoses days. My youth is long over.

robmac

Reading the above, I know I'm going to miss Leica glass on my 1DS2 if/when I move to Nikon, but sometimes you have to move on I guess.

That said, SGK will convert R to F mount IF the rear element doesn't extend past the rear mount at infinity (FF mirror clearance issues), so all hope is not lost.

They also will make one-off R-F adapters, but they add 5-8mm of extension.

Nitnaros

Have you guys tried Hassy-V glass on the R's ?

There are adapters on ebay for $40-$50(hard to say, though, which one would be best).

I have in particular a spectacular Zeiss 120mm macro; but also the normal 80mm/f2.8.

I guess they would get much "longer" so to speak; conversion factor 6x6 to 35mm at least 80/50 (focal length of normal lenses on both systems), multiplied with crop of 1.37 of DMR, so around 2.2. So my 120mm Zeiss might look like a 260mm...

Peter

Stuart Richardson

Actually Peter, they would stay the same focal length, only you would be using a smaller section of the image circle. So your 120mm, which has a similar angle of view on 6x6 to an 80mm on 35mm, will look like a 120mm on 35mm. On the DMR, it will look like a 165mm would on 35mm.

Either way, it might be fun in a pinch, but the V lenses don't really stand up to the R lenses in terms of performance and ease of use. They were designed for a much larger film format, and as such, they capabilities are not as high. All that extra light bouncing around also leads to flare, and of course the lenses are slow compared to R lenses and require stop down metering. For the most part, there are no better lenses out there than the R lenses, so if you are going to shoot Leica R, you might as well use them.

fotografz

You should jump on my R lens sale ... the only reason to own a R is the 35/1.4 and 80/1.4 :ROTFL: the other stuff is just a fun bonus !!!!

Nitnaros

fotografz, I sent you a PM earlier to get the info I need to send you the paypal payment for the 35-lux etc. Please get back to me, txs, Peter.

doug

That said, SGK will convert R to F mount IF the rear element doesn't extend past the rear mount at infinity (FF mirror clearance issues), so all hope is not lost.
leitax.com makes R -to-Pentax conversion kits and expects to have an R-to-Nikon F conversion kit available in a couple of months.

dhsimmonds

leitax.com makes R -to-Pentax conversion kits and expects to have an R-to-Nikon F conversion kit available in a couple of months.
Doug, this is excellent news in my opinion. If Leica go completely mad at Photokina and announce the end of the R system thus alienating their loyal R user base, at least we will have another extremely good probably better digital camera platform on which to mount our beautiful R lenses.......the finest 35mm lenses optically in the world.

The D3 and D700 would offer full frame resolution and very high ISO advantages over the DMR..........just what the R lenses need to show off their full performance..........assuming that the F mount can be fitted to these bodies. Other advantages, focus confirmation and a very bright viewfinder also certainly with the D700, a much smaller and lighter body with a good sensor dust reduction system. Not to mention a pop up flash for infill or external flash trigger systems for those that use flash. Did I mention weather sealing?

P

pascal_meheut

I for one would like to use my R lenses on a Pentax body. Both analog, current DSLR and maybe their futur FF digital.
However, it seems that lenses are used stopped-down then.

robmac

Doug - great info indeed. They seem to have their act together and I like the DIY aspect of their kit. I'll keep an eye on the site for the Nikon kit.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Wow that is great news . I had to go through hell to make a Oly lens converted to R. Sk Grimes did it at almost 500 dollars. Now if they can make a R lens fit a Nikon than some real possibilities there.

robmac

Getting the aperture mechs to sync properly would be hellish - and spendy. Just keep those R lenses that you truely savor (no, not all of them ;>) for those unhurried shots.

I use pretty well use alt glass almost exclusively on my 1DS2 and while a PITA at times, the trick (which I have yet to master given my pavlovian dislike to many EOS lenses) is to have a mix between good quick AF or auto-aperture MF glass (at least an option on a Nikon) and the 'let me caress it first' top-drawer stop-down gear.

dhsimmonds

It won't be a quick and dirty fix as it appears that each and every lens will need to be adapted rather than just a Nikon body conversion adaptor for all the R lenses.

Once adapted the lenses will not be able to be used on R bodies without going through the reverse process I imagine. If this is right then a decision will need to be made............either R system or Nikon F with adapted R lenses. Could be a tough call for DMR users!

The manufacturer has only purchased some of the cheaper primes so far for his development work, but intends to follow up with the zooms later.

R

roberth

so how much does a second hand DMR (back only) go for these days?