The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Did B&H send me a fake M8/M9 battery?

F

folville

The M8/M9 battery I just got from B&H is covered in what I'm guessing is Russian. It came in a slim, heavy-gauge black and silver cardboard box just like other Leica components, but there isn't any documentation. It's also oriented differently (note in the photo the authentic battery appears upside-down when its guiding arrow is pointed in the same direction as that of the new/fake one).

Who else has unintentionally received a fake battery?

Forgive the poor image quality, but all I had for the comparison photo was a P&S.

http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=48904&stc=1&d=1316297700

Terry

I've approved this post in moderation but I suggest you call B&H when they open tomorrow to discuss the situation and report back. I don't want this thread to turn into a rant session without more details.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
You certainly need to call B&H. Buts Its doubtful that B&H will have have or share any insights . They work in very high volume and are unlikely to offer anything other than a free pass to return the battery if you are concerned . I would suggest you call Leica in NJ directly and forward the images to them .

thrice

The font looks like the Leica font... If that means anything. You may be the first to receive the newer formulation higher performance battery! :D

F

folville

I expect B&H will offer a trade for a real Leica battery. I'll give a full report Sunday after calling them, and hopefully I'll have good news.

The font looks like the Leica font... If that means anything. You may be the first to receive the newer formulation higher performance battery! :D
This battery does claim to be 1860 mAh, so just maybe it is. ;)

F

folville

After spending a few minutes convincing the B&H rep this isn't a genuine Leica battery, I've got an RMA number. Here's to hoping B&H can get me the replacement by Thursday -- as promised -- before I leave the country. :)

John Black

B&H'a return policy is very relaxed, so the refund part should be easy. But if you're leaving Thursday and live in Portland, Oregon - you might want to get another order placed with Popflash or somebody on the West Coast.

M

MELEICA

The M8/M9 battery I just got from B&H is covered in what I'm guessing is Russian. It came in a slim, heavy-gauge black and silver cardboard box just like other Leica components, but there isn't any documentation. It's also oriented differently (note in the photo the authentic battery appears upside-down when its guiding arrow is pointed in the same direction as that of the new/fake one).

Who else has unintentionally received a fake battery?

Forgive the poor image quality, but all I had for the comparison photo was a P&S.

http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=48904&stc=1&d=1316297700
This is the REAL battery for the M8/M9. This is the NEW batch that is now being delivered to us (POPFLASH) at this time. There has never been any documentation inside any of the M8/M9 boxes now or in the past.

TR

F

folville

This is the REAL battery for the M8/M9. This is the NEW batch that is now being delivered to us (POPFLASH) at this time. There has never been any documentation inside any of the M8/M9 boxes now or in the past.

TR
I'm still skeptical of the battery I received because of differences between mine and the ones popflash is selling.

I threw together a quick comparison between the two. Note the different mAh and Wh ratings, as well as the"made in the people's republic of China" in Russian.

Charles2

My second Leica battery has the safety symbols like the one you received from B&H, unlike my first one. I've never seen a photo on eBay of a third-party battery that tried to copy the Leica labeling. Doesn't seem that anyone slipped something into the supply chain that ended at B&H.

thrice

I'll take the higher capacity one! 60mAh equates to about 10 extra shots! I bought spare batteries form Tony a year ago and they look like the 1800mAh picture, since Tony says the 1860mAh ones are the NEW batch I imagine that his new ones say peoples republic of china in russian as well.

F

folville

I did send the battery back to B&H, so when the new one arrives, I'll see whether/how it's different. I've also put in a call to Leica NJ, so I'll let report back what I find out.

F

folville

No sign of the replacement battery yet, but I will have to swallow my pride -- David from Leica NJ told me some of the batteries from their warehouse have writing "in a different language" on them, so they're probably the same as the ones I received. :confused:

trisberg

That to me seems like a mistake on Leica's part.

If they want to sell batteries in the US they better have the writing in English or they will cause a lot of confusion. Seems like a pretty easy thing to specify the labeling they want the sub-contractor to apply. Maybe the boxes got mixed up and they are selling batteries with English labels in Russia.

-Thomas

No sign of the replacement battery yet, but I will have to swallow my pride -- David from Leica NJ told me some of the batteries from their warehouse have writing "in a different language" on them, so they're probably the same as the ones I received. :confused:

F

folville

I went to Leica Mayfair yesterday, and one tech. immediately said the battery with Russian on it was a fake, but another employee checked their stock, and all of them have the same writing. He surmised they are coming from a new distribitor in China instead of Japan because of earthquake damage.