The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica Lens Paint Job Recommendation

I would like to have a paint job done on one of my Leica lenses (black). Any recommendation for a decent paint job service with reasonable charge? Thanks in advance!

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
I would bet that you have to supply a chrome lens or one that is already black paint ...he expects brass parts . But wow I have a nice chrome M3 SS.

yatlee

Here is one done by Shinaro. Original chrome was stripped off before repaint as you can see from the mount. As far as I know, not everyone is willing to repaint lens (vs a camera) since it will thicken the layers and may affect focusing or aperture ring movement. I was told most of collapsable lenses can be done. Some older one like V1 summicron 50/35, Shinaro is the only person I know willing to do it. The other popular choice is Peter from UK. He does frantastic job on camera repaint, but will only repaint Elmar collapsable lens. Also, expect to wait a long time (1 year+).

Last edited:

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Here is one done by Shinaro. Original chrome was striped down before repaint as you can see from the mount. As far as I know, not everyone is willing to repaint lens (vs a camera) since it will thicken the layers and may affect focusing or aperture ring movement. I was told most of collapsable lenses can be done. Some older one like V1 summicron 50/35, Shinaro is the only person I know willing to do it. The other popular choice is Peter from UK. He does frantastic job on camera repaint, but will only repaint Elmar collapsable lens. Also, expect to wait a long time (1 year+).
Assuming you were going to do a lens . Would you have the lens CLA before or after the paint job? After would seem to give you a better lens but would also increase the possibility of damage to the finish.

yatlee

Assuming you were going to do a lens . Would you have the lens CLA before or after the paint job? After would seem to give you a better lens but would also increase the possibility of damage to the finish.
For the one above, Shinaro didn't have to do any CLA since the lens was in like new condition. However, the focusing ring was funny when I first got it back. So, I took it to someone I know locally for a quick adjustment. In retrospective, I would definitely do CLA, if required, after the paint job.

Also, the black paint on this lens doesn't come off as easy as the regular Black Paint from Leica. I met Shinaro in Tokyo and he showed me a camera that he has been using for almost 2 years. There were hardly any brassing to it.

wjlapier

Here is one done by Shinaro. Original chrome was stripped off before repaint as you can see from the mount. As far as I know, not everyone is willing to repaint lens (vs a camera) since it will thicken the layers and may affect focusing or aperture ring movement. I was told most of collapsable lenses can be done. Some older one like V1 summicron 50/35, Shinaro is the only person I know willing to do it. The other popular choice is Peter from UK. He does frantastic job on camera repaint, but will only repaint Elmar collapsable lens. Also, expect to wait a long time (1 year+).
That paint job looks awesome!

I had a Shintaro painted IIIf with painted Elmar and it was one of the best paint jobs I've seen done. Everything was smooth.

monza

I have painted many Ms (including one of my favorites for wjlapier ) but have no interest in doing lenses...I had Shintaro paint an M3 for me in 2000, I would recommend him if you are willing to wait...