The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

M6 fever

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
I saw an M6 at an estate sale and it got me to thinking. I would like to get one. I'm not going to bid on the one they had. It looked rather ratty and I would just not want to wait on Sherry's Golden Touch.

What should I look for? Any series of production serial wanted like the over 1,000,000 for the M3? I understand the short lived production of Flash TTL is not worth looking for (I don't use flash anyway).

Ratty M6, No?

Last edited:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
They're pretty much tanks, and not much to go wrong :thumbs: FWIW I preferred the non-TTL over the TTL version due to it being physically smaller (I know, only 2mm shorter, but you definitely could feel that in the hand!); and I preferred the finder -- it had a bottom line on the frames and was not as "cluttered" with diode readouts as the TTL version.

Cheers,

woodyspedden

I saw an M6 at an estate sale and it got me to thinking. I would like to get one. I'm not going to bid on the one they had. It looked rather ratty and I would just not want to wait on Sherry's Golden Touch.

What should I look for? Any series of production serial wanted like the over 1,000,000 for the M3? I understand the short lived production of Flash TTL is not worth looking for (I don't use flash anyway).

Ratty M6, No?

John

I have two, both in pristine condition. One is a 0.58 and the other a 0.85. I enjoyed having the two of them since i could mount a 75 or 90 on the 0.85 while having a 21, 24 or 28 on the 0.85. They are both for sale at $995 each. I also have a Tom Abrahmmson rapid winder clone which is a terrific accessory. virtually identical to the old Leica rapidwinder.

Let me know if you have any interest. I will be happy to make some images for you to see.

Woody Spedden

M

matmcdermott

I love the fact that it's a 'leitz' dot, not 'leica'...

I would say that the only advantage of the TTL version over older versions is that the shutter speed dial turns in the same direction as the M8. But then again, I got into Leica with the M6 TTL so I am biased.

Stuart Richardson

I am with Jack -- I prefer the classic version because of the smaller size. My dad has had his since 85 or so, and it has not failed once -- I don't believe it has been CLA'ed in that time either. This is in contrast to my MP, M7 and M8 that have all required service multiple times over the course of their short lives. For this reason, I would avoid the TTL with its "updated" electronics and go for the older proven classic version.

P

PaulMayeux

Some M6s had a problem with corrosion on the top plate. I don't know how common it was but a picture that I saw was pretty unsightly.