The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

the only thing i don't like about the .95 noct.

gooomz

having the .95 is a dream and i am grateful but the only problem is i always find myself wanting to shoot with the .95 24/7. to shoot with the .95 comfortably the M- handgrip is nice to put on and i must say i do like the 1.25 magnifier, the mini soft shutter buttons are great for real nightime shooting and since you have .95 you always want to shoot at .95 which means in daylight got to bring a nd filter. life was much more simple with the 1.4 lux asph and lighter. i really like to keep it simple which means no gizmos but depending how you shoot the .95, gizmos do help sometimes. i still have both lenses and i dont want to part with them but i keep reaching for the .95.

decisions decisions.

zombii

Sounds like you know the answer already. Of course, I'll be glad to take the Noct off your hands for $6K if you just have to sell it. :cool:

SYGTAFOTO

When I read the title, I thought you were going to refer to the price!...
That is the ONLY thing I don't like about 0.95 noct.

SYGTAFOTO

I think what you are trying to say is that
"the only thing I don't like about the .95 noct is that it becomes the only thing I like."

gooomz

the price i can live with as i dont have many "things" and i plan to use the .95 for many, many years..

anyone prefer to shoot the .95/m9/m8 with no accessories or gadgets?

in theory that would be great, but in my opinion the 1.25x, thumb up, m grip, mini soft shutter and luigi strap do make it more comfortable to shoot the heavy noct. too many gadgets.

Paratom

the price i can live with as i dont have many "things" and i plan to use the .95 for many, many years..

in theory that would be great, but in my opinion the 1.25x, thumb up, m grip, mini soft shutter and luigi strap do make it more comfortable to shoot the heavy noct. too many gadgets.
I dont have the Noct but have used Leica M for over 20 years now and never felt the need for the soft shutter or the luigi strap. The grip I own but never use it. The only I use is the 1.25 magn here and then, but lately found I do well without it too.

SYGTAFOTO

I think the bare essential is the 1.25x mag.
I used to have a grip, soft release, luigi strap... but not anymore.. they are just frills to me.

Double Negative

Not Available
I think if I spent $10k on a lens I'd want to shoot with it all the time, too. ;)

That having been said, I look forward to picking one up (or the Lux) in the not-too-distant future. What's not to love? They're excellent lenses no matter how you slice it. Besides, if you don't plan to shoot it wide open most of the time - then a Summicron might've been a better idea...

Stuart Richardson

Agreed. If you are not shooting it wide open, you are basically carrying around an extra 7000 dollars, 430g of lens and 14mm of filter ring that you are not using (as compared to the 50/1.4 ASPH). The noctis never appealed to me for this reason, but if you have one, it should basically be glued wide open (and yes, I know they perform well stopped down too, but that should be viewed more as a bonus than a reason to use them. The summicrons and summiluxes perform better at standard apertures and are SO much more practical as to make the noctis rather pointless for anything other than shooting at .95 to 1.2. Of course, in my opinion...).