The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

LTM Canon f1.8 85mm?

rmeskill

I came across a local Craigslist ad for a LTM Canon 1.8 85 in supposedly mint condition for $800. I've done a bit of searching but haven't found much about the lens besides the fact that it's a bit lower contrast than its contemporary Leitz offerings and gets generally positive reviews. I already have a Tele-Elmarit (thin) 90, but am always up for a faster lens, just trying to figure out if it's worth the price...

ashwinrao1

Hi Ryan, hope you got the tracking on the Tri-elmar....should be in your hands on Friday! As for the 85 mm f/1.8 LTM, I'd run and grab it at that price...that's very good for a nice copy. It's a legendary LTM lens that I tried to snag earlier but couldn't find...Rendering will be quite different than the tele-elmarit, more classic. Dirk (technopunk on DPReview) has some nice samples up in the past 2 months...

The main issue with the lens may be inaccuracy of focus on the M8/9. It may need columnating/calibrating once you have gotten it, so you may want to test it out before buying it...

zombii

If it's in mint condition, that's a decent price. Contrast may not be as high as newer lenses but they're quite sharp and it's easy to add contrast. I think it's a good lens. I think the Nikkor 85/1.5 is a better lens but also quite a bit more expensive.

zombii

Regarding Ashwin's comments, mine back focused slightly but that's pretty easy to fix with copper tape. Front focus would be a different issue. I agree that you should try it if you can. For that price in that condition, it's worth a risk if you can't.

rmeskill

Ashwin-lens is supposed to arrive a day early-can't wait to get it!

As for the lens, it's not in absolutely mint condition, but judging by the pictures, for a lens of its age it might as well be. Glass looks pristine, mount threads barely have any sign of wear and the aperture blades don't have any signs of use. I'll have to take a look at it in person to make sure it's not just creative angles/lighting in the shots, but it looks pretty much near-mint.

I found a front/back focus test chart-I presume just shooting at it at max aperture and closest focus distance is the best way to calibrate/confirm? How much would it run to correct a front focusing issue? I'd rather not drop $800 on a lens I need to put another $500 in to fix...

John Black

Sending a lens off to DAG for a CLA is ~$120. If the issue is just adjustment, then the cost exposure isn't much. Given the age of the Canon LTM lenses, I budget for a CLA regardless. I have been playing with a Canon 100mm F2 Serenar and it's as sharp wide open as my Contax 100/2 MM & Zeiss 100/2 ZE; taken at F2 and no magnifier on the M9 -

This lens does need to go to DAG for adjustment. Focus is very accurate at near distances, but on long distances it is back focusing. Not quite sure how Don is going to "tune" that... Anyway, I'm very happy with the lens and the build quality is very good.

The 85/1.8's are not very common and these lenses are pretty old, so finding a "mint" copy is a tall order. This website is handy for taking a swag at a Canon RF lens' age - http://www.antiquecameras.net/canonrflens.html