The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Skink pinhole system

Godfrey

I've been fascinated to do some pinhole photography for a bit and the Skink kit, at $90 including pure pinhole and two zone plates, seemed a good deal. My first experiment was a hand-held walk with the fastest zone plate mounted on the M4-2 body last weekend. This was one of a few favorite captures from this setup:

Leica M4-2 + Skink with f/47 Zone Plate
Ilford XP2 Super scanned with VueScan

I'm going to give it a try on the Ricoh GXR+A12-M setup next.

Is anyone else using the Skink pinhole and zone plate kit? I'd be interested to see work with it.

bradhusick

:rolleyes:

Godfrey, you might want to check your pinhole on a brick wall test - I am detecting the slightest amount of corner blurring - could be some decentering.

;)

Godfrey

Godfrey, you might want to check your pinhole on a brick wall test - I am detecting the slightest amount of corner blurring - could be some decentering.
I just might have to buy that Coca Cola Bottle Bottom Correction app, eh?

]:)

Godfrey

Another zone plate image from the same day:

enjoy!

250swb

Not used the Skink pinhole setup, but I habitually make my own pinhole from brass shim for pretty well every camera I ever buy that can take a body cap.

Some work better than others, m4/3 not very encouraging I think because of either pinhole to sensor distance or need for a telecentric pinhole (LOL), but on an M9 its not bad. By not bad I mean bad, but in the good way. You have made me think I should try it more seriously Godfrey, I never show the pinhole images I make, not even on Flickr. Perhaps to concentrate my mind a project is called for! Now where is my notepad......

Steve

wattsy

Slightly off topic but I believe that Ilford are very soon to start selling an 8x10 pinhole camera.

Edit: It's actually 4x5 and here's the link.

Double Negative

Not Available
Ever since I first came across the Skink "lens" a few years back, I've been curious about it. Seems like a very high-quality, yet low-tech product. I've never really seen a lot of good samples from it though. So, definitely looking forward to seeing more.

L

Lynn Roylance

Yes, quite often it is my M8 your can see some images here
these are all hand held shots.

Godfrey

Lynn, very nice work! Good to see someone else working with a Skink ... :)
Ian, that Ilford pinhole camera looks very interesting!

It's fun stuff. I've got to fit the Skink onto the GXR next and see what I can make with it.

Godfrey

Not used the Skink pinhole setup, but I habitually make my own pinhole from brass shim for pretty well every camera I ever buy that can take a body cap.

Some work better than others, m4/3 not very encouraging I think because of either pinhole to sensor distance or need for a telecentric pinhole (LOL), but on an M9 its not bad. By not bad I mean bad, but in the good way. You have made me think I should try it more seriously Godfrey, I never show the pinhole images I make, not even on Flickr. Perhaps to concentrate my mind a project is called for! Now where is my notepad......
It's worth a shot. Just get out your iPad and fire up OmniGraffle ... ;-)

Godfrey

photo: Woman Walking

More with the Zone Plate from last weekend.

Last edited:

seakayaker

Godfrey, where did you purchase the Skink?

Doing a search it appears that they are all sold in Germany or Hong Kong.

It does look like it could be something fun to experiment with.

Thanks for the posts with your pinhole photographs.

L

Lynn Roylance

I bought mine through the German site, if I remember correctly it came from Hong Kong.

Lynn

Godfrey

I bought from Ebay ... search Ebay for item #290399024157. It arrived, from Germany, in about three weeks time.

Godfrey

The Quiet Meal

thanks for looking, comments always appreciated.

seakayaker

Thank you Lynn & Godfrey for your responses.

Keith, nice to see you visit! Your Square in Cadiz tree scape taken with the tilt adaptor is still one of my all time favorite photos!