The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

m9 camera strap

gooomz

right now i am rocking a luigi leather camera strap and i know many m9 shooters choose not to use a camera strap, but if that's the case is the m9 always in the bag when not shooting an actually photo?

i like the strap since when i am not in the mist of shooting the m9 can hang from my neck or i can carry it like a shoulder bag. just wondering how if you dont have a strap its gotta go in and out of the bag a lot unless it is always in hand.

if i could eliminate the strap i would but not sure if there is a better alternative for me.

thanks a lot

Godfrey

The shape, weight and size of the M lends itself to a neck strap. I use mine on and off with both a neck strap and a wrist strap, depending on what I'm in the mood for. Neck straps tend to get in the way if I'm using a tripod so on those days I tend to use the wrist strap when I'm not using the tripod.

---
addendum: i like the artisan & artist fabric neck strap. feels good and is flexible.

Last edited:

jonoslack

Well.
i almost never put my M9 around my neck - but I like the supplied leica strap, it's so light and flexible that you can wind it around your wrist and hang on to the camera in your hand.

Luigi straps are fab (I have 3) but the Leica strap, although unromantic, does the job really well.

D

disambiguated

I currently make use of the LumaLoop rifle-style strap, hooked into the right-hand eyelet of my Luigi case and connected via a keyring loop. This allows the camera to dangle on my right side, M-grip up, ready for me to grab it at any time.

Once the Wotancraft guy comes out with a new holster which works with the M-Grip & Thumbs-Up, I'm going to try that in conjunction with a wrist-strap from Gordy's Camera Straps.

If I want to take multiple lenses on a shoot, I carry them in the pockets of my cargo shorts, in a fanny-pack-type bag around my stomach, or in the pockts of my Domke photo vest. I don't use a camera bag at all.

For lens coverings, I use Optech soft covers; I also use a Match Technical Beep shutter-release button.

250swb

I always carry it around my neck on the standard Leica strap.

It's comfortable, is perfect for grabbing quickly, and because people can see it they instantly ignore you because they think an M9 is just an old camera. In crowds the most ignored people in the world are tourists, so its best to behave like one. But equally if you are out in the landscape a neck strap means you are less likely to land painfully on your camera in a slip or fall, and the weight (and psychological value factor) is central to your body, not biased over on one side, so you can tackle uneven ground much more efficiently with better balance.

Steve

seakayaker

I use the Artisans & Artists Black Silk strap. The majority of the time I wrap the strap around my wrist and if I want my hands free then I place the strap around my neck. The strap is flexible and comfortable.

. . . . . I have let a few things slip from my hands over the years and when shooting outdoors in public places I feel more comfortable having the camera & lens attached to me. A little piece of insurance from damage . . . . .

nelly001

A great strap is the Domke 1" Camera Strap without Swivel
I find it better than the Leica strap that comes with the M9 and highly recommend it.

ShiroKuro

I use the Artisans & Artists Black Silk strap. The majority of the time I wrap the strap around my wrist and if I want my hands free then I place the strap around my neck. The strap is flexible and comfortable.

. . . . . I have let a few things slip from my hands over the years and when shooting outdoors in public places I feel more comfortable having the camera & lens attached to me. A little piece of insurance from damage . . . . .

I have the same set up and always use it as wrist strap ...
Just tried my first neck strap From Luigi .. absolutely beautiful and the most comfortable neck strap I have ever used ... always wondered what he rave was all about , now I know .... but your not wrapping it around your wrist ; )
so the A&A wins out ..but I don't know , that Luigi strap is so damn comfortable lol ; )
Living dangerously my preferred method is no strap at all just a the body in hand with a grip attached or not I like using the camera this way the most....

T

tinribs

Late to the party as always!
I tend to use the standard leica strap, but with the rubber neck pad removed, which makes it just that bit more flexible when wrapping round the wrist. My other choice for a neckstrap is the Voigtlander Wide strap. This is effectively the A&A 102 fabric strap but made with the Voigtlander logo and thus a bit cheaper. Very flexible, very soft, very comfortable if a little on the short side.

If I want a wrist strap I use a Gordy's leather one. These are a bit stiff at first, but soften up well after some use.

GarethC

Modified Luigi Handstrap and Neckstrap. I asked Luigi to make a neckstrap and wriststrap that had the quick release snaps on so I could change them easily. It seemed a great idea at the time but he reality is the wriststrap stays on all the time and the camera goes in and out of a Domke.