The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with M Lenses on anything other then a Leica

m_driscoll

I actually have gone off the deep end and sold my M9 after getting the NEX-5N :). I have two film M's that have been of primary use lately, but the NEX-5N is a pretty amazing cam....

All with the new 35 Nokton II

Ryan: Getting rid of the M9! That's a pretty definitive step! Explains your absence from the other thread.

These are excellent photos. I really like the quality of this portrait. Well done. :thumbup:

Cheers, Matt

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

rsolti13

Thanks Matt, Steve. I just haven't been shooting much at all lately...work is killing me :)

Is this sharp?

35 Nokton II on NEX-5N at f/1.4

100% crop - UNSHARPENED

with 50 Lux ASPH

35 Nokton II at f/2

100% crop - unsharpened

seakayaker

Ryan, just a quick comment, love your photographs, beautiful work! Your daughter is going to have a well recorded history of her youth. Hopefully you are putting together a pictorial history book each year!

What was you main reason for letting go of the M9? Cost vs. use? Feature/functionality? or . . . . . ???

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Civil War reenactment Greenbush, Wisconsin
G3 and Leitz 90 f/2.8 Elmarit

Car Shows
G1 IR converted and Jupiter 3 50 f/1.5 (modified by Brian Sweeney)

G3 and Leica 35 f/2 Summicron ASPH

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Ryan, Dan, Ashwin, Matt really nice work posted here.
Ryan, The photo of your daughter with the Nokton 35II is wonderful...soft and sharp at the same time. Wow!

rsolti13

Thanks Dan, Cindy. Cindy, those first two shots look excellent...especially #2! Great pp on that one

Dan, you are correct...picture books to family members are always a hit at Birthday time :)

To answer your question as to why.....multiple reasons really. I love the M9, and think its the best digital camera out for 35mm for my needs, especially combined with Leica glass. That being said, I have been on a huge film kick recently and after I bought the NEX-5N just decided that for the little I have been shooting with digital lately the NEX-5N is a great option at 1/6th the price. While its not M9 image quality, in my eyes it makes the M8 obsolete if looking at just image quality. Of course, a totally different system, but thats what I have film M's for. As soon as I get bored with film I will be back with a digital M...whether that be M9/M9.2/M10 :D. I would like to say it was purely financial....but I spent all the money on glass :ROTFL:

shtarka1

Ryan, to your question on Sharpness...Does A Bear...Well Yes...Sharp! Nice set!

Cindy, fun set with excellent iq!

seakayaker

Thanks Dan, Cindy. Cindy, those first two shots look excellent...especially #2! Great pp on that one

Dan, you are correct...picture books to family members are always a hit at Birthday time :)

To answer your question as to why.....multiple reasons really. I love the M9, and think its the best digital camera out for 35mm for my needs, especially combined with Leica glass. That being said, I have been on a huge film kick recently and after I bought the NEX-5N just decided that for the little I have been shooting with digital lately the NEX-5N is a great option at 1/6th the price. While its not M9 image quality, in my eyes it makes the M8 obsolete if looking at just image quality. Of course, a totally different system, but thats what I have film M's for. As soon as I get bored with film I will be back with a digital M...whether that be M9/M9.2/M10 :D. I would like to say it was purely financial....but I spent all the money on glass :ROTFL:
Thanks for the reply Ryan. I certainly understand the comment, "huge film kick recently," since I picked up a Leica film camera a little over 2 months ago and have used it for about 99.5% of the photographs I have taken. I will look for some of your photographs over in the Analog thread!

. . . . . and it is great getting to use the same glass between the digital and film M's as well as multiple other camera's with adaptors!

seakayaker

Cindy, love your Civil War re-enactment photos. The banjo player is outstanding, love the use of B&W and soft bokeh!

rsolti13

Got a Zeiss ZM 21 C Biogon for my film M's...but decided to try it on the NEX-5N. Color shift is there slightly, but not too bad. It does vignette quite heavily though

I like the B/W version better.....

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Ryan,
I'm not a fan of color shift. My eye is drawn right to the corners and not to the subject. The black and white version works much better for me. I like the vignette. Have you tried Cornerfix? http://sourceforge.net/projects/cornerfix/ I used it with success with the Zeiss 25 and NEX5.
I like the black and white of the log a lot.

ashwinrao1

THanks for your kind words, Cindy, and great images yourself! I hope that you are doing well! Great to see your wonderful pics again. We were chatting about how nice you were at our monthly Seattle Leica Users Group (SLUGs) meeting.

Ryan, I too am distracted by the color shift on the Nex using the 21. I am glad to be seeing this, as I had considered a 21 zeiss as a compact wide, but planned on getting the 21 super elmar, whenever it becomes available....

m_driscoll

Yesterday's SLUG photo critique with Al, Ed, Brad, Dan, Ashwin and myself. Good times.

1. Sony NEX 5N; Leica 28mm f/2; 1/60s; ISO 640; taken by Ed or Ashwin

2. Sony NEX 5N; Leica 28mm f/2; 1/60s; ISO 640

3. Sony NEX 5N; Leica 28mm f/2; 1/250s; ISO 2000

4. Sony NEX 5N; Leica 28mm f/2; 1/250s; ISO 2000; taken by Ed

Cheers, Matt

Last edited:

m_driscoll

Thanks Matt, Steve. I just haven't been shooting much at all lately...work is killing me :)
Is this sharp?
35 Nokton II on NEX-5N at f/1.4

100% crop - UNSHARPENED
with 50 Lux ASPH
35 Nokton II at f/2

100% crop - unsharpened
Ryan: They look very sharp. Excellent photo of your daughter! I like the angled foreground/background split of this second one. :thumbup:

Civil War reenactment Greenbush, Wisconsin
G3 and Leitz 90 f/2.8 Elmarit

Car Shows
G1 IR converted and Jupiter 3 50 f/1.5 (modified by Brian Sweeney)

G3 and Leica 35 f/2 Summicron ASPH
Cindy: Nice to have you posting here. War correspndent-like. Are they re-enacting a particular battle? Well captured with the gun smoke(?). Beautiful cars. :salute:

Cheers, Matt

Hosermage

Just got my ZM C-Sonnar... A little tough to get focus, even through a live-view NEX5.

love that glow...

rsolti13

Thanks Cindy, Matt, Ashwin.

Matt/Ashwin - very nice shots with the GXR/NEX-5N. Did you by chance get to do a comparison between the two? Would be very interesting I'm sure. I wish I had local groups like this to attend....looks like fun

baudolino

interesting - I am actually thinking of doing the same. Love the M9 for its IQ but having just returned from a vacation where I used it I am getting slightly tired of it - too much effort to take pictures of the kids without AF, missed too many moments before it woke up from sleep, always worried on the beach that I have Eur 15k of equipment sitting in my bag, always afraid to leave it in the hotel for the same reason, always concerned about sand getting in my bag, my wife couldn't really use it and hated the RF focusing, external VF with the 24mm lens.... I haven't sold it yet but I am seriously considering - perhaps I will use (some of) the lenses on a NEX7 for a while until the M10 comes out, then decide what next, or just switch to the NEX7 completely, with the Sony/Zeiss glass and use my MF system when I need the IQ...and free some cash for the ongoing house refurb.....decisions, decisions...