The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

M7 VF options 0.72 vs. 0.85?

wattsy

If you use a 35mm regularly or primarily, you should make sure you try out the 0.85x first. My own preference is for a decent amount of space around the frames and the higher magnification VF reduces that too much for my taste (incidentally, I don't wear glasses). The 0.72x VF has been the standard for 40+ years and with good reason - it just works. That said, if you are essentially a 50 shooter, the 0.85x is perfect.

If you use a 35mm regularly or primarily, you should make sure you try out the 0.85x first. My own preference is for a decent amount of space around the frames and the higher magnification VF reduces that too much for my taste (incidentally, I don't wear glasses). The 0.72x VF has been the standard for 40+ years and with good reason - it just works. That said, if you are essentially a 50 shooter, the 0.85x is perfect.
Ian - thanks for the advice - I tend to 50mm and 90mm so the 0.85 should suit me well. In fact I plan to mate my Zeiss 50mm f1.5 Sonnar to it and may never take it off ;-)

seakayaker

Thanks Dan - I just happened to find one locally on Craigslist and picked it up today - lovely camera - can't wait to run some film through it!
Congratulations Joe on the purchase!

I hope to see you post some photographs over on the Analog 'M' thread in the near future.