The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Question about Leica M shutter and long exposure times

Mike M

I was wondering if there are certain shutter speeds where the shutter might create motion blur from in-camera vibrations? For example, if the Leica was mounted solidly on a tripod and the shutter was tripped using a cable release....at what shutter speeds might blurs start to show from vibrations to the camera body caused by the shutter itself? THanks for any info

250swb

If it were to happen I would say the shutter speeds would be in the 1/2 second to 1/15 second range. Anything longer and the tiny fraction of a second when the shutter vibrated the camera would be insignificant to the overall exposure. But the best thing is to use a heavier tripod and if the situation allows use the self timer to trip the shutter rather than a cable release which itself can cause any movement you are seeing.

Steve

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
I was wondering if there are certain shutter speeds where the shutter might create motion blur from in-camera vibrations? For example, if the Leica was mounted solidly on a tripod and the shutter was tripped using a cable release....at what shutter speeds might blurs start to show from vibrations to the camera body caused by the shutter itself? THanks for any info
In my experience Mike, it won't. The M uses a curtain shutter, so you should never see any vibration from it at any speed. I've shot many times with my M's "locked down" on tripod using a cable release, and never once did I have any problems.

250swb

Yes you are right about the cloth shutter Chuck, I went straight into 'M9 auto reply mode' and was answering about the metal Copal shutter. But I think you still need to be careful using a cable release, an M doesn't have the inertia of a big SLR to dampen what is in effect a stiff wire prodding it.

Steve

F

folville

I often set the M9 on rail, benches, etc. for long exposures, and I've never experienced blur from the shutter, even without a tripod like that. Shoot with confidence.